Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

"Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration" PS4 version announced.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By DarkbeatDK

Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of those games I didn't get around to, when it initially came out for the Xbone and the PC, but now there's a new version coming titled "20 Year Celebration". Why Sony is celebrating a SEGA Saturn mascot is anyone's guess, but I'm excited!

Rather than just being a port, the PS4 version ads a plethora of new features according to this article

• Award-winning Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • Brutal new “Extreme Survivor” difficulty mode (no checkpoints)
    • “Blood Ties” & “Lara’s Nightmare” premium DLC
    • Co-op support for “Endurance Mode”, challenging players to survive extreme conditions with a friend
    • Re-envisioned cold-weather outfit and weapon for Lara inspired by Tomb Raider III
    • Classic Lara card pack which will allow fans to play “Expedition Modes” using one of several classic Lara models
    • All existing DLC including “Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch” and “Cold Darkness Awakened”, 12 outfits, 7 weapons, 35 Expedition Cards, and more
    • Support for PlayStation VR that challenges players to unlock the mysteries of Croft Manor in first person

This is yet another game with added PlayStation VR support, which gives me the feeling that it's a great entry point for VR. While the design of the modern Lara is more realistic and subdued over her classic, original design, I still wonder if it'll work like Trespasser: Jurassic Park with it's innovative health system?

No Caption Provided

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think you also get all that stuff if you have the season pass for the PC/Xbone versions for those wondering.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one am very excited to play this game on my PS4. Even though I have a PC that is more than capable at running this game on ultra, it just wouldn't feel right playing this game on anything but a console. That's where I've always played Tomb Raider. Plus I have a wife who is way into watching me play these types of games, and that's hard to do huddled around my desk.

Glad to see it's a "game of the year edition" of sorts, count me in!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Looking at the title, this sounded like a collection for the PS4, but it's still cool to release the game like this. That box art ain't so bad either.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That cover sure looks familiar...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@mems1224 said:

I think you also get all that stuff if you have the season pass for the PC/Xbone versions for those wondering.

Season Passes are the new disc insurance. Anyway excited to finally play Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I bought it on PC because I couldn't wait.

Great game. I might.. might get it for PS4 again. Might be fun to play co-op with some people since I never bothered with the Endurance Mode on PC.

Talking about PC that game was a system ball buster. I wonder how well it will be optimized for PS4.

I do like those art books.
    I do like those art books.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aegon

@ericjasonwade said:

@blannir: Yea that is pretty shameless.

Actually....

No Caption Provided

Of course there's the font placement as well though.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ooh, I forgot this was coming to PS4. I'll finally be able to play it!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity: If it ran well enough on Xbox I'm sure PS4 will handle it fine but yeah that PC is a monster. I couldn't get a steady 60 even at 1080p on my gtx 980. Now having a gtx 1080 let's me do 60 at 1440p but that's ridiculous.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

@colourful_hippie: yah my R9 390 couldn't keep a steady goddamn 30 in some of the bigger open areas it was insane.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Loved Tomb Raider as a PS+ game on PS3, bought it on PS4 immediately as a thank you and played it until I hit the shipwreck glitch that was pretty common on PS4 and lost my save. Can't wait for this to come to PS4, glad to see it'll come packed with extra stuff as has come to be expected with timed system exclusives like this.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blannir:

Have you not noticed that most games are doing that these days. Look at the last generation. Most of the call of duties have a dude just standing there or mid-step, bioshock infinite has a dude, Mass Effect 3 has a dude or chick depending on which game you got.

Its really pathetic that Atari box art of the 70's and 80's is outdoing games of today. Although Bioshock Inifinite had an alternative cover that was pretty sweet.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: I fail to see your point as the similarities go beyond just having the character on the cover. The covers are both monotone with white on the characters to accent features, they have textured backgrounds, the title placement is identical, the pose is even quite similar. I'm not throwing shade I just thought it was funny how similar they appear especially with Naughty Dog being on the other side of it a few months ago with the art they lifted from Assassin's Creed.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

I was just wondering, did anyone play the DLC for the game? If so, how was it? I played the game when it came out on the One, and I liked it fine, but after I did everything in it, I was done. Now, I'm thinking about going back because I don't have anything to really play as I wait for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The mention of Uncharted; I haven't finished Uncharted 4 on the hardest difficulty yet, so maybe I should play that and Tomb Raider on hard. Furthermore, I just found out that Jason Graves didn't do Rise of the Tomb Raider's soundtrack, he only did Lara's theme. Rise of the Tomb Raider had some of the issues 2013 game had, but I thought many aspects were largely better, like voice work and dialogue. The gameplay when it came to the action was better, but still not quite where I'd love it to be. Now I'm just going on, but Rise of the Tomb Raider came out the same day as Fallout 4 did, and I got both at Target, which was a buy two get one free, so I picked up Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I first went through all of Syndicate, then Tomb Raider, then Fallout 4. That rarely happens that games come out, or I play different, new games back-to-back.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ntm said:

I was just wondering, did anyone play the DLC for the game? If so, how was it? I played the game when it came out on the One, and I liked it fine, but after I did everything in it, I was done. Now, I'm thinking about going back because I don't have anything to really play as I wait for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The mention of Uncharted; I haven't finished Uncharted 4 on the hardest difficulty yet, so maybe I should play that and Tomb Raider on hard. Furthermore, I just found out that Jason Graves didn't do Rise of the Tomb Raider's soundtrack, he only did Lara's theme. Rise of the Tomb Raider had some of the issues 2013 game had, but I thought many aspects were largely better, like voice work and dialogue. The gameplay when it came to the action was better, but still not quite where I'd love it to be. Now I'm just going on, but Rise of the Tomb Raider came out the same day as Fallout 4 did, and I got both at Target, which was a buy two get one free, so I picked up Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I first went through all of Syndicate, then Tomb Raider, then Fallout 4. That rarely happens that games come out, or I play different, new games back-to-back.

I liked Baba Yaga, it was another ~90 minutes of a self-contained story put into the Siberian section of the main game. Nothing amazing, but a little spooky and fun. $10 normal price would be high for some people though. I didn't like the Cold Darkness DLC since it was just an extra Expedition (score/challenge mode) thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.