Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Risen

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 02, 2009

Risen is an action-RPG from Piranha Bytes. It takes place on a tropical island.

Well I played the demo

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evilsbane

I have to say I am surprised I really thought Gothic 3 was garbage and I didn't expect much out of this one but I am pleasantly surprised it turned out to be ok. 

The graphics are pretty good I've got it maxed and in a few places it looks pretty striking when you first wake up on the beach the trees and stuff look really nice. The character models are Ok the clothes and stuff look good but some of the faces are kinda Ehh your own character really has an ugly mug.

The Combat, well how do I put this, it is leaps and bounds over Gothic 3's mess this one is still a little loose and some of the creature attacks are pretty damaging but I got through it without dying played on normal flipped over to easy didn't notice a huge difference mabye 1/3 less damage. Still kinda click-e I found that just running forward and hitting M1 was pretty effective but I could see how learning the odd parrying system is going to really be needed when facing multiple oppents.

The voice acting is fine I saw some people complaining but the limited character interaction I have had it seems fine not over the top or anything not amazing but it gets the job done.

Didn't really figure out how to attribute points maybe the demo doesn't let you mess with it cause I didn't see a way.

But It actually sold me so I guess I will go pick up the game looks pretty good.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Is the demo on 360? I'd like to try that out. The little video on the dashboard looked kinda cool. Reminded me of an early 2000's PC RPG from eastern europe or something.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Scooper said:
    " Is the demo on 360? I'd like to try that out. The little video on the dashboard looked kinda cool. Reminded me of an early 2000's PC RPG from eastern europe or something. "
    It's PC only right now, they said the 360 version is going to release sometime later.

I really liked this game. I played the demo for 46 minutes, exploring every nook and cranny of the island. I would totally buy it if I could run it in windowed mode, because my computer isn't that great and ran it at about 25-30 fps. If it had windowed mode, and no other big hits like Uncharted 2 or Brutal Legend were coming out next week, I might have picked it up.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i was curious about this game

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @CowMuffins said:

because my computer isn't that great and ran it at about 25-30 fps.

That's actually really good if you're running it max detail at a decent res.  The game only goes above 30fps on the latest $300+ ATI 5x00 series cards.  The game is a mess technically and artistically.

@CowMuffins said:

It's PC only right now, they said the 360 version is going to release sometime later.

360 version is supposedly out in some Europe regions, and it's EXTREMELY poorly done.  They got an even more incompetent studio to port the game, and it's probably the worst PC to 360 port ever.

I am not at all keen on the PC demo, but I could see myself picking up the game at $10 or $15.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Diamond: Oh no, it wasn't maxed out. It was like all the worst settings except for texture quality. When I maxed it out, it was terrible. And the graphical settings for that game are terrible, you can't even changed the model detail.
    Jim_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Jim_uk
    @Diamond said:
    " @CowMuffins said:

because my computer isn't that great and ran it at about 25-30 fps.

That's actually really good if you're running it max detail at a decent res.  The game only goes above 30fps on the latest $300+ ATI 5x00 series cards.  The game is a mess technically and artistically.

@CowMuffins said:

360 version is supposedly out in some Europe regions, and it's EXTREMELY poorly done.  They got an even more incompetent studio to port the game, and it's probably the worst PC to 360 port ever. I am not at all keen on the PC demo, but I could see myself picking up the game at $10 or $15. "
    I get a solid 45-55 @1680x1050 on a 1GB 4890 with everything maxed out..
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond
    @Jim_uk said:

Hmmm, doesn't hold up with other benchmarks I've seen.  I'll have to check the AA settings on those benchmarks and my own PC.  All I know is no card other than the ATI 5x00 series was getting above like 35FPS.

Here (removed image embed, PC Hardware doesn't like hotlinking)
    Jim_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jim_uk
    @Diamond said:

" @Jim_uk said:

Hmmm, doesn't hold up with other benchmarks I've seen.  I'll have to check the AA settings on those benchmarks and my own PC.  All I know is no card other than the ATI 5x00 series was getting above like 35FPS.

Here (removed image embed, PC Hardware doesn't like hotlinking) "
     I also have an Core i7 @ 3.4GHZ along with 6GB of DDR3 1600MHZ Triple Channel, that's bound to make a difference. The only thing I have turned off now is the Depth of Field, it didn't make any difference to the framerate, it just looks bloody awful. I'm not suggesting it's well optimised but it's better than Gothic 3 was.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @Jim_uk said:

I'm not suggesting it's well optimised but it's better than Gothic 3 was.

Well I can at least agree with that, but I'm still surprised you're getting those frames on your PC.

edit - after all the specs on that benchmark are a core i7 running at 3.5Ghz even
    Jim_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jim_uk
    @Diamond said:

" @Jim_uk said:

I'm not suggesting it's well optimised but it's better than Gothic 3 was.

Well I can at least agree with that, but I'm still surprised you're getting those frames on your PC.  edit - after all the specs on that benchmark are a core i7 running at 3.5Ghz even "
     I'm at a complete loss, the RAM is roughly the same as mine and I'm also using Vista64. 

I took a few quick screens, Fraps seems to cause a brief 2 or 3 FPS drop when talking a screenshot but it's near enough.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/469/risen1.jpg This one has rain, shadows and plenty of vegetation. 
     http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4582/risen2.jpg This one has added NPCs, smoke from both the fire and the volcano along with a few enemies that are behind the fence but I dare say they are still being drawn.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond

Hmm I just started up FRAPS & the demo and I was getting more FPS than I perceived.  38-ish to about 45-ish on average.  They have their own benchmark routine.  I guess I just thought it was a bit slower than it is...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Evilsbane

Well I went and got the game and got farther into it and I actually like the setting and I find the story line to actually be kinda cool BUT Huge BUT here the combat is a fucking mess when it comes to fighting creatures.

Humans are ok 1 or 2 at a time infact you have to play really carefully and beating them is a challenge but when it comes to some of the creatures it is complete crap, One Ghoul will make your life hell, but wait till you get three on you it isn't possible to beat them now granted some of these creatures are higher level and tough so I should go level but I find that the combat is skill based with your damage being the only numbers factor so this shouldn't be happening.
    These creatures attack so fast and have such insane reaction times that it makes your attacks feel slow as hell they always break through your attacks but rarely do you break theirs and sometimes you can have full health bar you get hit just the wrong way and even on easy it spells instant death I got into a battle so crazy last night that I had to cheat just so I could continue the game.

So just a warning I really do like the game I think it looks good and the quest you do are fun and there is little handholding with them which is a nice change of pace BUT the combat is flawed as fuck when your fighting the creatures of the wilderness.

And as far as performance goes I haven't had any issues my rig:

Core i7 OCed 3.3
    Nvidia GTX260 1792mb GPU
    12GB RAM DDR3
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Game is maxed at 1680x1050 runs great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.