Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Risen

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 02, 2009

Risen is an action-RPG from Piranha Bytes. It takes place on a tropical island.

Who else is excited about this game?

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ninjadodo

With the Gothic franchise now in the hands of another developer, it seems the Piranhas are building something of a spiritual sequel with Risen. By the sound of it they're dialing back the epic scale of Gothic 3 and returning to the more tightly focused style of the first two Gothics, which in my opinion can only be a good thing. As much as I enjoyed Gothic 3 despite the bugs they definitely bit off more than they could chew. The game was spread too thin...

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

vaultdweller13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaultdweller13

I'm incredibly eager to hear more about this game.  I'm currently going through the Gothic games again and being reminded of how great they are.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I don't know what in God's name it is, save for the few screens that are out; but if it's an open world adventure game that I can get lost in, then count me in.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael
    GIVEMEREPLAY said:
    "I don't know what in God's name it is, save for the few screens that are out; but if it's an open world adventure game that I can get lost in, then count me in. "

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjadodo

It will most likely play a lot like Gothic.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By bwooduhs

I just watched the new trailer showing of the graphics and they certainly are nice.

Loc95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Loc95

Me. I love Gothic series. Too bad there won't be The Nameless Hero here anymore...

Avatar image for householdutensils
    householdutensils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By householdutensils

As far wRPGs go, the Gothic series has always exuded a certain rugged elegance, an almost 'diamond in the rough' quality to coin a cliché. Even though Gothic 3 was a little buggy, it still retained a good portion of what made Gothic 1 and 2 classics. It is my hope that PB can bring what they've learned from the Gothic series and compile it through this new partnership with Deep Silver into a game that combines the escapist wonderment of a vibrant and open world ready to be explored and the mechanics and story telling techniques that made the Gothic series a treat to wRPG fans.  

ElStevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ElStevo

It looks a heck of a lot like Two Worlds.  It even has Nightwish on the soundtrack. 

I'm in :)
    Thrillho82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thrillho82

I agree.  This game reminds me alot of Two Worlds.  Even if it is as flawed as Two Worlds, it could still be a good time waster to save for next summer once RPG fand burn through Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I'll probably buy it if Alpha Protocol is indeed getting a 8 month bump. Not much else in early october for PC anyway.

Protoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Protoman

Stop comparing it to Two Worlds, good sirs! They may look similar -- but Piranha generally makes good games. I know some people like Two Worlds, but compared to most other WRPGs - it was bollocks.

At any rate, I'm buying Risen on Friday. Cannot wait!

Abooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Abooie

Had it on preorder for a while now. I'm a sod for rpgs especially wrps so with this, Dragon Age: Origins and Divinity II I'm one happy bunny.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Jeff and Vinny GOT to make a Quick Look on this. Just got a choice to go to two seperate places, one named Big Swamp, one named Harbour Town. 

This game is hilariously generic.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I AM NOW xD

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ninjadodo
    @Ertard: If names are all you're going by, then maybe. But you know what, in real life people are pretty lazy when it comes to naming locations. If they're on an island and there's only one "Big Swamp" they're not going to name it << insert generic fantasy gibberish here >> .

If you want to see a generic game, try Oblivion.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Seedofpower

I'll wait for the quick look.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    @ninjadodo said:
    " @Ertard: If names are all you're going by, then maybe. But you know what, in real life people are pretty lazy when it comes to naming locations. If they're on an island and there's only one "Big Swamp" they're not going to name it << insert generic fantasy gibberish here >> . If you want to see a generic game, try Oblivion. "
    Okay, I'll continue. So far I have killed wolves, boars, flying moths and waved around a torch in a dungeon. I've also found swords and rescued a hot chick (um kinda anyway) named Sara. Then I met a guy named Jan. He said I should go to the big swamp cause its awesome. 

I also got a quest to kill a worm. Which I did. Then I got gold. The end of that quest. 

And the story is along the lines of ''I don't know who I am, I should kill shit and go uhm someplace I guess''
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I thought it looked interesting, but the gameplay footage was unimpressive.
    And I fail to understand why they keep making these immersive RPG's third person.

Might give it a shot if it gets good reviews, but right now the only RPG's I'm interested in are Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
    Crystal Bearers for the Wii too, but it's unlikely to see a European release for the next eight years.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By demonbear
    @Ertard said:

" Jeff and Vinny GOT to make a Quick Look on this.  "

You know, i like giantbomb, but for rpgs, lets be honest here, they suck.

Get Dave on it.

Yeah, i went there. I'll go further. When Dave took over giantbomb, i thought it was actually a nice idea! I still do.

GIANTDAVE.COM! :D

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjadodo
    @Ertard: Hehe, fair enough. Personally I'm withholding judgement until I actually play it, but based on the first two Gothic games I'm optimistic. Are you going by the video footage they've shown or has the game already been released somewhere?
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    @ninjadodo said:

" @Ertard: Hehe, fair enough. Personally I'm withholding judgement until I actually play it, but based on the first two Gothic games I'm optimistic. Are you going by the video footage they've shown or has the game already been released somewhere? "

It's out on the interwebs. Out in Europe (and perhaps NA?) this friday. It looked pretty shitty so I decided to try it out, and also I wanted to see how how stable it was considering all Gothic games have been close to unplayable at release. 
    Don't know if I will buy it just yet, but I haven't touched it more then the hour I played so I think not.  

Regarding stability and optimization though, I can confirm that it seems that Piranha Bytes learned their lesson. Rock solid 60+ FPS on my shitty 8800GT. Doesn't look that great though. 

edit: Seems like in benchmarks Risen is very demanding, which is odd according to my own experience with the game. Might be more demanding for your processor, I got a Core i5 @ 3.8 ghz so I'm all set on that front.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.