Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rising Thunder

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Mechs collide in this free-to-play fighting game from Radiant Entertainment.

Radiant acquired by Riot Games, stops work on Rising Thunder

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Cybexx

http://www.radiant-entertainment.com/

So Riot Games has acquired Radiant, after Riot themselves were fully acquired by Tencent in December. They are closing the Rising Thunder alpha on March 18th and the team is moving on to work on a new project.

Stonehearth, Radiant's Kickstarter game will be continuing development.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was just about to post this--

I hope this just means they have more money to expand the scope or add even more detail to the game in the future. As someone who has always looked at fighting games with interest from a distance, I was excited about the strategy over execution part of Rising Thunder.

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering what was up wth this game while I was having fun playing Street Fighter V.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If Rising Thunder development just ceases, that is some fucking garbage.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

This seems like a pretty good entry point for Riot to start expanding their eSports presence into the fighting game scene. Radiant certainly has the people on their team to guide that process and Rising Thunder showed a lot of promise.

If Rising Thunder development just ceases, that is some fucking garbage.

It sounds like that is what's happening, but I think it's pretty safe to assume a lot of that work is going to roll straight into their new project.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they continue making it in some fashion. I really liked the dozen or so hours I put into it despite not being a fan of the genre.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were just continuing work on Rising Thunder I think they would have said so. My guess is that idea of a League of Legends fighting game that fans and Riot have thrown around will probably be the direction they take the new project in.

Riot has a history of cancelling internal projects because just maintaining League of Legends is a more financially sound and cost effective strategy. So it is kind of weird that they now have Stoneheath and the Rising Thunder team's new project as publicly known projects now. The Rising Thunder tech is really solid so I imagine they are building on that framework.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@cybexx said:

If they were just continuing work on Rising Thunder I think they would have said so. My guess is that idea of a League of Legends fighting game that fans and Riot have thrown around will probably be the direction they take the new project in.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. And I will probably play that game too. I really liked the style of RT though. I mean, Vlad is the best.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cybexx: but a fighting game with giant robits is just so much cooler. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ripelivejam: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/leagueoflegends/images/d/dc/Blitzcrank_OriginalSkin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141013230039

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Why would they even buy radiant if they didn't want Rising Thunder? What a weird acquisition.

Hope they end up making some sort of fighting game anyway.

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant wait for some great League Skins from the folks at Radiant.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OnionKnight14

It's entirely possible they don't force what will be left of Rising Thunder into a League framework. They are leaving Stonehearth the way it is and retaining its brand. Though, if they want to expand their esports reach into other genres, it does make sense to use the League name and characters to create association.

but I'm with ripelivejam, robots are the best.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I actually thought Rising Thunder was really cool, just that the roster needed filling out a bit more. I was actually wondering what was going on as the e-mail I received was just worded weirdly but it does seem to be the case that Rising Thunder will be no more. I wonder if they come out with the same game just with LoL characters or what. Definitely not what I saw happening. RT was super interesting because it was designed as an online only game that was super easy to get into and the next generation of GGPO.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sounds great to me. Brand recognition of LoL + beginner-friendly design of RT could bring a huge influx of players to fighting games. Plus LoL characters would just make so much sense within something akin to the RT framework, it's a perfect fit.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man this sucks Rising Thunder was a lot of fun Dauntless forever!

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think its a shame. The game was fun, but it felt like it need to be more fleshed out. I haven't tried stonehearth, but I was hoping Rising Thunder would take off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.