Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

River City Ransom

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 25, 1989

Scrolling brawler with RPG attributes. Fight through street gangs as Alex and Ryan in search of Ryan's kidnapped girlfriend. This game was basically an early proto-GTA sandbox brawler, where the player can explore the city, beat up or steal from random people, and shop around.

Maybe games like this are best left to nostalgia?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

So I was about ten years old when this title was released for the NES, and let me tell you, I played the crap out of it.  I loved this game...it was probably one of my favorite games ever for the NES, maybe for any console.  I remember it looking much nicer than this though...haha!  I was just thinking I should pick up an NES or an emulator and play this game again.

I just found a sealed copy on eBay for $400...or just the cart for $10.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah, this is the problem with a lot of old games...you rave on and on about your favorite ones. "Oh man this was so amazing! That was sweet!" Then you actually pop one of those oldies in, and you're like...wow. And voila, your fond memories are collectively destroyed. I'd advise you to be careful if you really enjoyed River City Ransom, you don't want to mess up your nostalgia.

MB said:

I just found a sealed copy on eBay for $400...or just the cart for $10.
    Go with the cart! Haha.
    Avatar image for twilit_igniter42
    Twilit_Igniter42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Twilit_Igniter42

I highly enjoyed this game in my youth and I find myself at least once a year firing it up on an emulator.  Me personally, my childhood memories of older games aren't destroyed.  Quite the opposite!  The memories resurface - "oh, I remember when once I did this to Thor!  I remember making fun of that frumpy-shaped kid in the Grotto Mall!"

I think those old games, they have that 8-bit.... "charm" to them.  I don't know how to put it.

(Random Note:  I was also 10 when this game was released in the US.)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

holy shit i have a sealed copy of a couple of old games. my dad bought doubles a few times out of fear of them breaking, omg thats a lot of money i had no idea

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#5  Edited By vigorousjammer

no way, this game is still great to this day...
    unlike many, I can still go back and play these games even with the older graphics just cause the gameplay is so damn good.

I'll admit, some games have not aged very well, like a lot of the SNES 2D WWF wrestling games... or old sports games (although, Tecmo Bowl is still kickass)

But, like... River City Ransom, and the NES Megaman games, all amazing!
    I'd say pick up and NES, but pick up one with a newly installed 32-pin connector... it'll work much better, no more blowing in your old carts, lol.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.