Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Road Rash II

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released December 1992

Thrash and bash your way through this violent motorcycle racing game created by Electronic Arts.

Yeah okay, this is probably the best game ever made.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

For a game that, on the surface, resembles nothing more than standard motorbike racing game, it reveals more and more of its hidden depths the longer you play it.

Across various US states, the nameless faceless player you control races enters competitive races for one reason: money to buy better bikes. Four different classes of bike exist for you to purchase and you need to place in the top 3 to have chance at buying any of them.

In your way lies the other racers. Your guy is the only character who is dressed in a differently coloured outfit, the rest look like clones. But here's part of the genius of the game. The closer that your speeding bike approaches another racer, their name appears on the right of screen to indicate who they are. Identical sprites they may be, a handful of racers are experts and always seem to stick to the front of the pack. Curiously, this seemingly random design decision gives these cardboard cut-outs more character in one single race than any crappy kind of full-motion-video "Look how badass I am!" intro sequence could have done. Soon enough, you'll be cursing names like 'Natasha' and 'Grubb' way more than 'MonkeyFart69' in that multiplayer match of Modern Warfare 2. 

But what really holds the game together like some sort of sweet, sweet glue - is the violence. May I say, it is in fact the exact opposite of mindless.

In order to help yourself over the line in first place, you have to employ a few underhanded tactics. Why? Because the other racers will do the same. They are out to get you with fists, feet, chains, baseball bats and tyre irons. You have to defend yourself out there on the track and when you've been knocked off your bike, there is nothing more immensely satisfying than working your way back to the front of the herd for what seems like ages and planting your fist in your attacker's face seconds before crossing the finish line. That said, I am not saying violence is inherent to a decent video game - just this one.

The music is sublime, catchy and repetitive. The upgrades to your bikes appear like pots of gold the second they appear on the menu. The controls are easy to pick-up, but with plenty of meat on them to master.

In the end, a small part of me believes that video games achieved perfection in 1993 with Road Rash 2 and it was all downhill from there.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

While I don't agree with all the bullshit you've posted here, I do agree that Road Rash II was a great game.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I remember playing the hell out of this on my girlfriend's Megadrive in 1992, which is when the game was released btw you might want to fix that.  It was a great game but for my money, nothing beats the Hair Metal ridiculousness that was Road Rash 3DO.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rayfield
    @SeriouslyNow: 

Released in Australia in 1993.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rayfield
    @Khann said:
    "While I don't agree with all the bullshit you've posted here, I do agree that Road Rash II was a great game. "

The bullshit written above or just my bullshit in general?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Rayfield said:
    " @Khann said:
    "While I don't agree with all the bullshit you've posted here, I do agree that Road Rash II was a great game. "
    The bullshit written above or just my bullshit in general? "
    The bullshit written above. As an Australian I hope you take that to mean 'all the stuff written above' rather than an insult. It was not intended as an insult.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Rayfield said:

" @SeriouslyNow:  Released in Australia in 1993. "

Mate, I'm Australian and I bought the game from Target or K-Mart or Myers (I can't remember) for my girlfriend at the time.  I wasn't with her in '93.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.