Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Robert Kotick

Person » credited in 5 games

Robert Kotick is the President and CEO of Activision Blizzard.

Why is Kotick being so public about being a douche?

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I mean I am sure every other executive is like that, but they don't show it. Why can't Kotick do the same? 

Also since they are tossing the CoD franchise under the bus aswell, what is left? 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

He probably does it because he has money to back up his shit talk.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Belonpopo

Don't talk about Bob Kotick in this contex, unless you want to die.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

My main problem with him is that he looks like he's covered in buttocks. Possibly the most ugliest man I've seen in the gaming industry.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Turambar
    @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "

I mean I am sure every other executive is like that, but they don't show it. Why can't Kotick do the same? 

Also since they are tossing the CoD franchise under the bus aswell, what is left? 

"
    Honestly, I find Kotick's public douchiness refreshing.  It makes me feel better about hating him, unlike other CEOs where the small pangs of doubt that he or she may in fact actually be a nice person whose feelings I am hurting still exist.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " My main problem with him is that he looks like he's covered in buttocks. Possibly the most ugliest man I've seen in the gaming industry. "
    Hahaha... so true. : )
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss

You're assuming he can help it.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rjaylee

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Drebin_893

Because he's made Activision a profitable company. Hell, he's made them the biggest video-game publisher in the world.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:
    " My main problem with him is that he looks like he's covered in buttocks. Possibly the most ugliest man I've seen in the gaming industry. "
    Hahaha... so true. : ) "
    I mean, how can anyone be THAT rich and THAT fucking ugly at the same time? With all that money you'll think he'll get some plastic surguery or something rather then look like a random bag of tits. Ugh. He just...offends all five of my senses...
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Rockanomics

Anytime something publicly wrong and evil just keeps on trucking like this I assume it's some sort of social experiment to see what people will sit through.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chirag4

It's probably too difficult to hide all the douche in him.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Jost1

He's probably inside a corporate bubble I assume. He really is a tremendous douche though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

I think the immense talent and unbelievable success of a couple of their studios have made Kotick look somewhat better than he probably deserves.  Is he really that much better than the CEOs of the other publishers, or did he just get obscenely lucky when he rolled the dice a couple of times?  I can't deny what he has achieved so far, but can he sustain it once CoD and WoW start to fade?  That will be the real test.  I suspect he will cash out as soon as it starts to go south.

Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Izaak

I think it's because he's more outspoken than any other gaming industry CEO, and he has very unpopular opinions, and everything he says seems heartless.  Essentially he's just another douche-in-a-suit, similar to any other CEO of any other industry, Kotick just expresses his views more.  

It's weird how every other gaming executive has managed to stay under the radar, I can't even name, off the top of my head,  the CEO of 2K, THQ, SCEA, or Microsoft game studios. But who knows? They could be just as bad. 

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Tuggah

To keep his name, and Activision's, in the news and people's mind.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Whisperkill

his days are numbered, to be honest

griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tuggah said:
    " To keep his name, and Activision's, in the news and people's mind. "
    Seems like a poor way to do it. I basically fucking hate Activision as a result  of that gigantic douche, and every time I am forced to buy an Activision product I feel really bad about it, that can't possibly be good business.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Drebin_893 said:

" Because he's made Activision a profitable company. Hell, he's made them the biggest video-game publisher in the world. "

The only reason Activision burnt down game sales records with Modern Warfare 2 is because IW had to push Kotick to LET them make a Modern Warfare game in the first palce. He wanted more WW2, wanted more of the same, IW wanted something new. He benefited from huge excitement over a FRESH property. He has milked the franchises that brought him success, Now that he has killed Guitar Hero he has moved on to COD. 

Also with Blizzard pulling in stupid amounts of money you think their company would be the leader in innovation and risk because they have money to throw around, but no he just wants the same thing over and over.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toxin066

I think Kotick views douchery the same way I view having a massive dong. Since I've got it, it'd be a shame not to flaunt it.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Toxin066 said:
    " I think Kotick views douchery the same way I view having a massive dong. Since I've got it, it'd be a shame not to flaunt it. "
    He may be compensating.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Kotick has always been a small, sad, little fellow his whole life. But lo and behold, to his credit, he has worked into a job where he is actually significant to a degree. I mean, Warren Buffet has never heard of him and Barack Obama wouldn't bother to piss on him if he was on fire but in a very niche area of the entertainment industry he matters. Finally... he matters. So now the resulting hard-on he's got has filled him full of the power that he never had when he was getting beaten up as a wimpy little teenage peckerhead. We the gamer must suffer this fool until he ruins the games that built Activision and cost him the job that gave him his douchebag powers. Give it time, shouldn't take all that long.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax
    @Whisperkill said:
    " his days are numbered, to be honest "
    Unless somebody assassinates him, I doubt his days are even close to ending.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bones8677

People already think he's a douche so why bother hiding it?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ghostiet

Who would we hate if we didn't have Bobby "The Nazi" Kotick? Sometimes, when I land some disgusting curses on him, I'm happy that he exists. That thought makes me puke in my mouth a little.

Ah, you Bobby! A punkass bitch wherever you are!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26  Edited By EpicSteve

Because he has the money to buy everything you own and everyone you know.

griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:
    " Because he has the money to buy everything you own and everyone you know. "
    He didn't earn it tho, that is what is so vexing. God I hate him.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Drebin_893
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Drebin_893 said:

" Because he's made Activision a profitable company. Hell, he's made them the biggest video-game publisher in the world. "

The only reason Activision burnt down game sales records with Modern Warfare 2 is because IW had to push Kotick to LET them make a Modern Warfare game in the first palce. He wanted more WW2, wanted more of the same, IW wanted something new. He benefited from huge excitement over a FRESH property. He has milked the franchises that brought him success, Now that he has killed Guitar Hero he has moved on to COD.   Also with Blizzard pulling in stupid amounts of money you think their company would be the leader in innovation and risk because they have money to throw around, but no he just wants the same thing over and over. "
    Umm... I wasn't talking about from MW2 onwards. Activision's been around a long time, and he made them profitable when they were going to go under. I'm not talking about MW2.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Binman88
    @Izaak said:
    "It's weird how every other gaming executive has managed to stay under the radar, I can't even name, off the top of my head,  the CEO of 2K, THQ, SCEA, or Microsoft game studios. But who knows? They could be just as bad.  "
    I'd argue they logically aren't as bad, because they're smart enough to not do it publicly. As a customer, I just find Kotick a little insulting.
    bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bunnyboiler
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Drebin_893 said:

The only reason Activision burnt down game sales records with Modern Warfare 2 is because IW had to push Kotick to LET them make a Modern Warfare game in the first palce. He wanted more WW2, wanted more of the same, IW wanted something new. He benefited from huge excitement over a FRESH property. He has milked the franchises that brought him success, Now that he has killed Guitar Hero he has moved on to COD.   Also with Blizzard pulling in stupid amounts of money you think their company would be the leader in innovation and risk because they have money to throw around, but no he just wants the same thing over and over. "
    He wants the same thing over and over because thats what people buy.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " @Drebin_893 said:

Umm... I wasn't talking about from MW2 onwards. Activision's been around a long time, and he made them profitable when they were going to go under. I'm not talking about MW2. "
    I was using it as an example.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

How about Kotick is a businessman whose sole goal is to make sure his comapny makes the most money it can - he may go about it in ways which you find reprehensible, but your calling him a "douche" is your opinion, not fact.

griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZanzibarBreeze said:
    " How about Kotick is a businessman whose sole goal is to make sure his comapny makes the most money it can - he may go about it in ways which you find reprehensible, but your calling him a "douche" is your opinion, not fact. "
    No he is just being an asshole, he isnt helping his business every huge success the company has had kotick has been against because it is not safe. He is incompetent, greedy and just shitty all the way thru.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Phished0ne
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:

" How about Kotick is a businessman whose sole goal is to make sure his comapny makes the most money it can - he may go about it in ways which you find reprehensible, but your calling him a "douche" is your opinion, not fact. "

QFT 

It is his job to preserve Activision's profitability, the things he has done are standard work proceedings for the business world, its just that  the games business is in the limelight a lot more than a lot of other businesses. How would you react if you were the head of a game publisher, and you heard through the grapevine  your star studio's heads were shopping around for a new place to make games for before their contract was up. You'd be pissed too, and you'd wanna fire their asses for insubordination. You cant have the people in charge of your studio basically telling everyone working there "dont worry about this shit, we're leaving and going somewere else soon anyway" it de-motivates the studio.

With that being said, Kotick is a shady MFer, but..who isnt in the business world *and if someone says apple i will shove my foot so far up their ass..*
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rowr
    @Drebin_893 said:

via some fancy mergers only.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ch13696

You know what I would do? I would wait till any Activision game is used then buy it. I know that it's putting money into Gamestop's pocket, but they're not as bad as Bobby Kotick. Oh god...he's at my door...save me??

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ch13696

I got a question though. Why isn't Blizzard ditching Activision? I'm sure Activision doesn't own them. Do they?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Because Kotick is a douche in public maybe?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By jakob187
    @Turambar said:
    " @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "I mean I am sure every other executive is like that, but they don't show it. Why can't Kotick do the same? 

Also since they are tossing the CoD franchise under the bus aswell, what is left?"

Honestly, I find Kotick's public douchiness refreshing.  It makes me feel better about hating him, unlike other CEOs where the small pangs of doubt that he or she may in fact actually be a nice person whose feelings I am hurting still exist. "
    Wait.  Whoa whoa whoa. 

Did someone just use LOGIC on the internet?! 

You, sir, won the fucking internet for the day!  Absolutely great comment.  No, I'm not being sarcastic in any way.  The minute I read that, I said "holy fuck, this dood is right x1,000,000"...and now it does make me realize that I don't feel bad about thinking Kotick is a cuntmuffin.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By vaiz

He's like the new Jacky T. The person we can all, despite our differences, our console preferences, and our E-Peens, band together to hate in a beautiful unification of the gaming community.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#41  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My guess is that being so outspoken about what he thinks and what he wants to do is probably part of what got him where he is, it's the way he's used to acting.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DukesT3

He sleeps in money, probably sleeps with a new supermodel every other day or so, and lives a lifestyle most Americans envy.. so I think he really doesn't care how he acts in public. It's not like he's a sports athlete or anything cause they have an image to uphold. Right Big Ben? 

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Getz

It's easy to just assume that his quotes are cut and dry douchebaggery. There is no way that CEO of a major company would willingly invoke the ire of his customers. Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is fucking with our favorite medium in myriad ways, but a lot of his outright dickishness can be credited to out-of-context quoting and the narrow scope of most games journalism. Take the "taking the fun out of games" quote that gets attributed to him a lot. He was referring to the publishing side of games; creating a more business-like environment for the people in charge of selling a game, not for the people in charge of making the game. Nowhere did Kotick say "Games are not about fun" which is what I think a lot of people are pulling from that.  

Again, I'm not a fan at all of his practices, and I think he's done a terrible job of humanizing himself to gamers. And at the end of the day us "gamers" are 10% of the market, and we really don't matter as much as we think we do to guys like Kotick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.