Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

5/21 DLC: Pantera's "Great Southern Trendkill" Album

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By skrutop

From HMXKat on rockband.com:

Hey all!

Kat filling in for HMXHenry on this fine Friday morning.
    Lots of you have been itching for Pantera and HERE IT IS!
    Enjoy!

~HMXKat

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (May 25):

· “The Great Southern Trendkill”
    · “War Nerve”
    · “Drag the Waters”
    · “10’s"
    · “13 Steps to Nowhere”
    · “Suicide Note Pt. II”
    · “Living Through Me (Hell’s Wrath)
    · “Floods”
    · “The Underground in America”
    · “(Reprise) Sandblasted Skin”

(All tracks are original master recordings; “Suicide Note Pt. I” is not included in this pack.)
    (These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 May 26)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “The Great Southern Trendkill (Album),” as well as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system, and as individual tracks only on Wii.

Price: $1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track
    $15.99, £9.99 UK, €12.99 EU (1280 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “The Great Southern Trendkill (Album)”
    $2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track

I don't know a lot of Pantera's music, and that includes everything on this album.  I really like their song "Walk," though.  Sad to see it's not in here.

edit: This is on May 25, not the 21st.  HMXKat screwed that up in her post header.
    Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Hannibal

Holy crap.  

FYI for those who aren't heavy into Pantera: Great Southern Trendkill is not their best album. "Walk" is on Vulgar Display of Power (possibly their best album), but some say Cowboys from hell is their best album. They essentially made Great Southern Trendkill because they hated grunge and wanted to make something ridiculously heavy. I listen to Slayer and a lot of death metal, but even this album is too heavy for me.  

MFDoom_LIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MFDoom_LIVE

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I've been waiting and hoping this would become availible. I'm a little sad  to see that Suicied Note Pt 1 is not there. I'm so going to piss off my neighbors with Suicide Note Pt 2. Time to buy a bottle of whiskey as well.

Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Big_D

finally

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By A Likely Story

Not for me.

Phazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By Phazon

Their 2nd worst album.  I want fucking Cemetery Gates and Walk damn it!!!

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mourne

Truly one of their worst albums; terrible choice.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @Hannibal said:
    "Great Southern Trendkill is not their best album. "
    This is a fucking lie. 

Great Southern Trendkill is not their most POPULAR album.  It is, however, their BEST album.  Despite the amount of heroin that Phil was using at the time, and the fact that he phoned in all of his parts from his home in Louisiana rather than actually being in the studio, this features the most diverse level of work that Pantera has EVER done. 

There's ALSO the fact that this album came out in the midst of Britney Spears and the bubblegum pop craze of the late '90s coming into fame.  She held the #1 spot for quite a while, and Pantera used this album as a call to arms for metal to prove that it wasn't dead...REAL metal, not NU metal.  This album hit, and while it didn't hit #1 (it topped out at #4 on its debut), it proved that the metal community will be heard. 

MOREOVER, "Floods" happens to carry the SINGLE greatest riffs that Dimebag has EVER written.  I'm not even bullshitting that.  Guitar World ranked the solo for "Floods" as the 15th greatest solo EVER written.  In comparison, two more Dimebag solos were on the list below #50 - "Cemetary Gates" and "Walk". 

At the time of release, the album did garner relatively low scores.  However, people also didn't respect how much work had gone into the album.  Essentially, Trendkill is to Pantera was The White Album was to The Beatles - it was highly experimental for the band, and it was something that would not garner proper respect until many years later.

I'm saddened to see that Pt. 1 isn't on the album.  However, I can understand why.  Between the long known fact that vocal tracks have been missing from the masters because of the way they were recording the vocals, as well as the general lack of drums and bass from the track...and of course, the lack of three-part harmonies in Rock Band 2...I know why the track isn't there.  Just sad to miss hearing that beautiful tone that Dime got out of that acoustic. 

I downloaded "Floods", "13 Steps To Nowhere", and "Drag The Waters" last night.  Man, SOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome.  The note charts are fun on guitar.  I took my hairband out and rocked the fuck out for about 3 hours on those three songs!!! 

I think I'm going to have to pick up "Living Through Me" and "The Underground in America". 

P.S. - I've been through 9 copies of this album...store-bought.  I still have my super scratched-up original copy, because they started pressing them with the whitish-background on the CDs...when it was still just clear to the magnetic color of the CD itself.  The only album I've been through more copies of is Tool's Ænima.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.