Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

Guitar is terrible

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jerr

Does anyone else find it a pain to play guitar in rock band? Often times I find myself failing simple solos in the game, then I switch to GH 3 and Im doing Raining Blood on Expert 4 stars. I think its the way the game handles the hammer ons, and the timing of the notes just screws with me. Drums is fine, just Guitar is a chore.

*NOTE I have calibrated the game over ten times

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

do you mean the hardware itself, or the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Tallica9000 said:
    "Does anyone else find it a pain to play guitar in rock band? Often times I find myself failing simple solos in the game, then I switch to GH 3 and Im doing Raining Blood on Expert 4 stars. I think its the way the game handles the hammer ons, and the timing of the notes just screws with me. Drums is fine, just Guitar is a chore.

*NOTE I have calibrated the game over ten times"
    The main difference is the timing window for hammer-ons and pull-offs.  Guitar Hero III's hammer-on system is insanely loose, and the Rock Band system is just as tight.  In the former, you can hit a note then immediately hold down the next note to be hammered until the actual blip passes over, while in the latter, you have to practice timing your frets. 

I learned Expert on Guitar Hero III, so it was a jarring experience when I started playing Rock Band's harder songs.  I ran into the same problem as you did.

I wish there could be a happy medium between the two extremes, because you're right--there are moments when the system in Rock Band is too tight, and when the charting of the song just isn't compatible with the game's unforgiving timing window (read: Constant Motion).  I would be able to do well on that song in Guitar Hero III.  In Rock Band, I'm lucky to pass it. 
    Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Shasam
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Tallica9000 said:
    "Does anyone else find it a pain to play guitar in rock band? Often times I find myself failing simple solos in the game, then I switch to GH 3 and Im doing Raining Blood on Expert 4 stars. I think its the way the game handles the hammer ons, and the timing of the notes just screws with me. Drums is fine, just Guitar is a chore.

The main difference is the timing window for hammer-ons and pull-offs.  Guitar Hero III's hammer-on system is insanely loose, and the Rock Band system is just as tight.  In the former, you can hit a note then immediately hold down the next note to be hammered until the actual blip passes over, while in the latter, you have to practice timing your frets. 

I learned Expert on Guitar Hero III, so it was a jarring experience when I started playing Rock Band's harder songs.  I ran into the same problem as you did.

I wish there could be a happy medium between the two extremes, because you're right--there are moments when the system in Rock Band is too tight, and when the charting of the song just isn't compatible with the game's unforgiving timing window (read: Constant Motion).  I would be able to do well on that song in Guitar Hero III.  In Rock Band, I'm lucky to pass it. "
    This is true, and is probably the reason for any difficulties. I can understand why you would have troubles if you cranked it up to expert first in GH3. I went up to expert in the first game, where the Hammer-On's were awful, and the system they changed to for GH2 is, as far as I know, is extremely similar if not the same to Rock Band. I am used to it, and much prefer it to GH3's insanely easy system, but understand why it could be a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have problems with Rock Band, and actually prefer it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shasam said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Tallica9000 said:

I wish there could be a happy medium between the two extremes, because you're right--there are moments when the system in Rock Band is too tight, and when the charting of the song just isn't compatible with the game's unforgiving timing window (read: Constant Motion).  I would be able to do well on that song in Guitar Hero III.  In Rock Band, I'm lucky to pass it. "
    This is true, and is probably the reason for any difficulties. I can understand why you would have troubles if you cranked it up to expert first in GH3. I went up to expert in the first game, where the Hammer-On's were awful, and the system they changed to for GH2 is, as far as I know, is extremely similar if not the same to Rock Band. I am used to it, and much prefer it to GH3's insanely easy system, but understand why it could be a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have problems with Rock Band, and actually prefer it."
    The timing windows between Rock Band and Guitar Hero II are almost identical, if I'm not mistaken.  And really, the circles vs the bars add a lot to the game, too.
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By shotaro

The timing is the same as GH2 - the hammer-ons are the only thing about GH3 thats easier and its only easier because all of the songs are over-charted. but anyway yes the hammer-ons are more difficult but once you get them they do become insanely easy - Rock Band 1 was only hard during the last couple of solos not sure how hard RB2 is but when its out in europe I'll know

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate

Dammit i want rock band 2 :( goddamn stupid uk

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shotaro
    OmegaPirate said:
    "Dammit i want rock band 2 :( goddamn stupid uk"
    signed - fucking EA
    BranDong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BranDong

yeah like these guys said.. the timiing is almost identical to the GH II hopos.. it just takes getting use too.. but its definitely harder than gh3 .. I still don't care for the rectangular notes in rock band for guitar but they are fine for drums!  All I really do is play drums in Rock Band

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shotaro
    BranDong said:
    "yeah like these guys said.. the timiing is almost identical to the GH II hopos.. it just takes getting use too.. but its definitely harder than gh3 .. I still don't care for the rectangular notes in rock band for guitar but they are fine for drums!  All I really do is play drums in Rock Band"
    It honestly makes no difference to me - in fact I think I prefer the rectangles - feels more precise when playing the game.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Shotaro said:
    "OmegaPirate said:
    signed - fucking EA"
    Double singed - have to wait for ps3 version as well
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shotaro
    OmegaPirate said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "OmegaPirate said:
    signed - fucking EA"
    Double singed - have to wait for ps3 version as well"
    LOLWTFPWNED!!!

unlucky.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Shotaro said:
    "OmegaPirate said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "OmegaPirate said:
    signed - fucking EA"
    LOLWTFPWNED!!!

unlucky."
    Tell me bout it
    I was however wondering about the transition from gh to rockband - and how the guitar itself felt in comparison - didnt the bomb guys say it was easier??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shotaro said:
    "BranDong said:
    "yeah like these guys said.. the timiing is almost identical to the GH II hopos.. it just takes getting use too.. but its definitely harder than gh3 .. I still don't care for the rectangular notes in rock band for guitar but they are fine for drums!  All I really do is play drums in Rock Band"
    It honestly makes no difference to me - in fact I think I prefer the rectangles - feels more precise when playing the game."
    My problem with the rectangular notes is that I have trouble discerning the beat of fast strumming sections.  Namely one part in the second solo of "Green Grass and High Tides" where you have to strum a slew of fast oranges, then blues, yellows, reds, greeens.  The rectangles are fucking perfect for drums, though.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By guiseppe

I can't play anything with the Rock Band guitar. I always use the Xplorer you got with Guitar Hero 2 for pretty much everything. It's not that it isn't working or anything, I just can't stand it. It doesn't feel good anywhere.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By tds418

The GH3 engine was way too forgiving. I much prefer the RB timing window.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    OmegaPirate said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "OmegaPirate said:
    signed - fucking EA"
    Triple signed- welcome to the club.
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shotaro
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "BranDong said:
    It honestly makes no difference to me - in fact I think I prefer the rectangles - feels more precise when playing the game."
    My problem with the rectangular notes is that I have trouble discerning the beat of fast strumming sections.  Namely one part in the second solo of "Green Grass and High Tides" where you have to strum a slew of fast oranges, then blues, yellows, reds, greeens.  The rectangles are fucking perfect for drums, though."
    yeah that bit particularly is a fucker - but in general It's better then again that bit would be no better on GH imo.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NinjaHunter

I don't have any problem with the HO/PO's or the rectangle notes in rock band. It's probably because I went from GH2 to rock band. I prefer the rock bands timing window than GH3's.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Rock Band is based off the Guitar Hero II timing system, while Guitar Hero III loosened the restrictions in order to offer harder songs, such as "Raining Blood" and "Through The Fire and Flames".  Therefore, switching between games can be a hassle.

Personally, though...I don't have much of a problem other than how thin the notes at the bottom of the neck on the RB guitar are...because I'm a big dood with big fingers.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I can play songs on Hard or Expert (the latter only on a handful of songs) in Rock Band 1 & 2 on guitar and bass, but I can't rise above medium in Guitar Hero (any of them). Strangely though, I kind of enjoy the guitar parts in the Guitar Hero games more than in Rock Band.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MKHavoc

I found the hammer ons in RB2 much harder than in GH3.  It's messed me up pretty bad on some songs.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

After playing GH since day one, having a guitar that's just flat is incredibly jarring.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sdodd02

I agree, that's why I only play drums, :D

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Foil1212
    Shasam said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Tallica9000 said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have problems with Rock Band, and actually prefer it."
    So you prefer...both? Don't you usually need to prefer one over the other?
    Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jerr

Wow popular thread, good to know other people are having troubles lol.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Megalon

I was really convinced the timing for HOPO was different in RB2 vs. RB1, until I bought the newer Strat and had it autocalibrate. Now it seems to be perfect, at least imo. I think that is the root of many people's problems with RB timing windows - the game is tricky to calibrate correctly on LCD/plasma tvs, especially with a seperate sound system.

I think it's natural for some people to be better at GH3 HOPO because the timing window for them is ridiculously easy.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By hazelnutman

Timing-wise, I don't mind it in rock band. However, the hardware is noticeably better for Guitar Hero. I can't even beat Enter Sandman on RB expert, but can play most of Fire and Flames in Guitar Hero 3 expert once I start playing with the GH guitar.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jerr
    Megalon said:
    "I was really convinced the timing for HOPO was different in RB2 vs. RB1, until I bought the newer Strat and had it autocalibrate. Now it seems to be perfect, at least imo. I think that is the root of many people's problems with RB timing windows - the game is tricky to calibrate correctly on LCD/plasma tvs, especially with a seperate sound system.

I think it's natural for some people to be better at GH3 HOPO because the timing window for them is ridiculously easy."
    Yeah man, I was thinking that, but when i calibrate with the guitar, my drums seems off, which is super gay. Oh well, I got my preorder down for GH WT so im pretty much set when that comes out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Megalon said:
    I think that is the root of many people's problems with RB timing windows - the game is tricky to calibrate correctly on LCD/plasma tvs, especially with a seperate sound system.
    I have the opposite problem.  Rock Band calibrates really easily (and really well) to my LCD screen, but the Guitar Hero games can't calibrate accurately at all.  Even though I'm using an HDMI cable (which I originally thought would alleviate some of my problems), I still find myself calibrating, resetting, and recalibrating (to a different result every time, mind you) while playing either of the Guitar Hero games.  I am hoping World Tour adopts Rock Band's system--where you can calibrate based on television type as well as manually.
    Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Foil1212
    Megalon said:
    "I was really convinced the timing for HOPO was different in RB2 vs. RB1, until I bought the newer Strat and had it autocalibrate. Now it seems to be perfect, at least imo. I think that is the root of many people's problems with RB timing windows - the game is tricky to calibrate correctly on LCD/plasma tvs, especially with a seperate sound system.
    Oh, man, I had to do this yesterday for my small LCD.  Man, it's retarded.  Can't wait for my bundle to come in! Next week!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.