Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

User-Created Content Coming For Rock Band

• 93 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

So, it'll still look a lot like this, but instead you'll be playing that song you wrote about how Christopher Walken is a badass. 
    So, it'll still look a lot like this, but instead you'll be playing that song you wrote about how Christopher Walken is a badass. 
    Despite having a large number of blackmail-worthy photos of a Harmonix employee, I've yet to get any songs by my band, Midnight Brown, in the Rock Band download store. Tragic, I know. But the good news is that I don't need to go through that whole process anymore, because Harmonix has unveiled plans to allow average songwriting copyright holders like me to plot out my own note charts and place my music in a separate community store governed by the same style of community moderation used by Microsoft's XNA-based Indie Games program.

According to Billboard, the program is called the Rock Band Network, and it's currently in a closed beta, with a planned public beta coming in August and a launch on Xbox 360 before the year is out. MTV's saying that it's expecting to bring popular tracks from this program to the PlayStation 3 and the Wii, but since this whole thing currently hinges on the Xbox 360's XNA Creator's Club setup, the Network store will be 360-exclusive at first.

While this seems great for the individual songwriters and performers out there who own the rights to their content, have their masters, and are down to do it themselves, this will also allow labels that want to be a part of Rock Band to process their entire catalog, sidestepping the weekly track downloads that will continue to make their way into the main Rock Band store. It sounds like Harmonix will make some portion of their community available for hire by people or companies who have the music, but don't want to plot out the gameplay themselves. Billboard also spoke to the head of Sub Pop, which plans to make its biggest releases over the last couple of years as well as all of its upcoming fall releases available through Rock Band Network.

Once the work is complete, it's submitted and checked for to ensure that all the proper copyrights are in place, as well as for explicit lyrics or gameplay issues. Once approved, the tracks can be sold via the Network store for somewhere between 50 cents and $3, and the user/label/copyright holder's cut is 30 percent of the sale price.

The software used to actually take the split master tracks (or "stems," if you will) is a custom version of Reaper, from Cockos. In addition to setting up all of the note charts, you'll also be able to use Reaper to set up the lighting, camera angles, and default characters used in the background.

OK, this whole thing sounds seriously awesome and feels like the correct way to allow user-generated content in a music game. The whole sampled, MIDI sounding thing that Guitar Hero added in World Tour resulted in a bunch of people just continually uploading different "rockin'" versions of Super Mario Bros. music. Rock Band Network will obviously have a significantly higher barrier to entry, but if the end result is actual, real music that has the potential to be an additional revenue stream for smaller acts out there, that higher barrier seems like it's totally worth it. For more detail, check out Billboard's story. We'll have more as it becomes available. Meanwhile, I'm going to go start blackmailing someone to get into that closed beta... 

[UPDATE] Harmonix has launched its official site for the project at http://creators.rockband.com/, complete with a video that details how RBN will work.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Despite having a large number of blackmail-worthy photos of a Harmonix employee, I've yet to get any songs by my band, Midnight Brown, in the Rock Band download store. Tragic, I know. But the good news is that I don't need to go through that whole process anymore, because Harmonix has unveiled plans to allow average songwriting copyright holders like me to plot out my own note charts and place my music in a separate community store governed by the same style of community moderation used by Microsoft's XNA-based Indie Games program.

According to Billboard, the program is called the Rock Band Network, and it's currently in a closed beta, with a planned public beta coming in August and a launch on Xbox 360 before the year is out. MTV's saying that it's expecting to bring popular tracks from this program to the PlayStation 3 and the Wii, but since this whole thing currently hinges on the Xbox 360's XNA Creator's Club setup, the Network store will be 360-exclusive at first.

While this seems great for the individual songwriters and performers out there who own the rights to their content, have their masters, and are down to do it themselves, this will also allow labels that want to be a part of Rock Band to process their entire catalog, sidestepping the weekly track downloads that will continue to make their way into the main Rock Band store. It sounds like Harmonix will make some portion of their community available for hire by people or companies who have the music, but don't want to plot out the gameplay themselves. Billboard also spoke to the head of Sub Pop, which plans to make its biggest releases over the last couple of years as well as all of its upcoming fall releases available through Rock Band Network.

Once the work is complete, it's submitted and checked for to ensure that all the proper copyrights are in place, as well as for explicit lyrics or gameplay issues. Once approved, the tracks can be sold via the Network store for somewhere between 50 cents and $3, and the user/label/copyright holder's cut is 30 percent of the sale price.

The software used to actually take the split master tracks (or "stems," if you will) is a custom version of Reaper, from Cockos. In addition to setting up all of the note charts, you'll also be able to use Reaper to set up the lighting, camera angles, and default characters used in the background.

OK, this whole thing sounds seriously awesome and feels like the correct way to allow user-generated content in a music game. The whole sampled, MIDI sounding thing that Guitar Hero added in World Tour resulted in a bunch of people just continually uploading different "rockin'" versions of Super Mario Bros. music. Rock Band Network will obviously have a significantly higher barrier to entry, but if the end result is actual, real music that has the potential to be an additional revenue stream for smaller acts out there, that higher barrier seems like it's totally worth it. For more detail, check out Billboard's story. We'll have more as it becomes available. Meanwhile, I'm going to go start blackmailing someone to get into that closed beta... 

[UPDATE] Harmonix has launched its official site for the project at http://creators.rockband.com/, complete with a video that details how RBN will work.
    Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Driam

Now nothing can stop the deadly robot vampire.

Wokisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Wokisan

This sounds awesome! It might also get more peeps interested in the XNA games overall as well.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By albedos_shadow

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YES!

McMooMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McMooMan

jeff has a band :o downloading one of his albums now :D

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ben_H

That sounds so awesome.  Here's hoping bands support this and get their entire discography put in.

The definitive Alex picture from the linky-thing:

Jeff holding a mysterious jar of orange fluid and a knife, with Alex Navarro.
    Jeff holding a mysterious jar of orange fluid and a knife, with Alex Navarro.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By albedos_shadow
    @Driam said:
    " Now nothing can stop the deadly robot vampire. "
    I just want to rub my cat belt buckle.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189

No Caption Provided

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ryan  Staff

IM Conversation With Alex Navarro This Morning

Ryan: so still no cursing, I assume?

Alex: still no cursing.

Ryan: fuck you.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Aaron_G

This is just awesome. 

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By skrutop

Sounds pretty sweet, but I definitely don't have the musical chops to do anything but download and play.  Midnight Brown in RB?  That's a winner.

But don't kid yourself, Jeff.  The market will be flooded with SMB music.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Venatio

Sounds great

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By papercut

sweetness

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Venatio
    @Ryan said:
    "

"
    lol Awesome^^
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By faustyn

ok. midnight brown in rock band confirmed! ;D
    someone should contact the guy who made the giant bomb song (my heart belongs to giant bomb) and tell him to put it in!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

:O

Moebi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Moebi

This sounds super awesome

LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By LeadNinja

So, will we have to pay loads of money for the software to actually do this?  I'm not interested in distributing my own stuff to the world, but if I could use this to play around with and put my own songs onto my own 360, I'd give it a spin.

Edit -- Hm, I suppose it must need an XNA subscription.

Mouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Mouth
    @Ryan said:
    "

"

That's hilarious. ^^
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By DukeTogo

CockOS?  Isn't that the code name for Windows7?

Nat3TheGreat13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nat3TheGreat13

Awesome!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

you have to paid someone's crappy fan made music?

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24  Edited By damnboyadvance

Awesome! But hopefully, this doesn't start spamming the Rock Band Music Store.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Shabs

Wow.  Excellent idea.  It's such an awesome promotional tool for small bands to tell their audience they can get their music as a CD, digital download, and as Rock Band tracks.

Harmonix already kicked off a trend of players trying real instruments, and now they have a chance to positively affect the music industry by giving smaller bands better tools.  Awesome.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By tebbit

Blackmail-worthy you say?

perhaps you mean this one:

MC Hammer called, and he wants his fresh new kicks back. Probably.
    TiE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TiE23

This may be insanely cool... or just really disappointing. I really, REALLY, just want a "create your own chart, add music to it yourself" like I could chart out any song, plug in my MP3 player, press play, and go along with it. I mean, I spent like 5 hours on this one chart for Frets on Fire and never used it... cause mostly Frets on Fire is a pile of steaming crap.
    So if you're a fan of Mastodon and like their song Capillarian Crest for it's ball-to-the-wall awesomeness send me a PM and I'll get you a way to see my chart.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

AWWWWW YEAH!!!!

Midnight Brown is coming to Rock Band!!

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Reverseface

Gewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwt midnight brown UP IN DAT JUNK.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By djstyles92
    @Ryan said:
    "

"
    lmao u tell him!!
    Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Joseppie

I'm wondering how people will do in creating their own note paths, but it sounds awesome otherwise.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Gav47

Jeff has a band, since when? linked page doesn't give a lot of info

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By Death_Burnout

Midnight Brown in Rock Band GO!

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

this will work because people won't have to make music with five pads and five buttons

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By harrisonave

Gravy Robbers.  In My Rock Band.  Now, please.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Keeng
    @skrutop said:
    " Sounds pretty sweet, but I definitely don't have the musical chops to do anything but download and play.  Midnight Brown in RB?  That's a winner.But don't kid yourself, Jeff.  The market will be flooded with SMB music. "
    Um...no. It's not the type of thing where people can just make stuff and post it. It goes through moderation and copyright checks first and then Harmonix decides whether or not to post it. This will be real, recorded music. This will also be AWESOME.
    phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phlegms

Because it totally worked for guitar hero..

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By A Likely Story

Awesome news.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By TheHBK

Guitar hero just got blown out of the water.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Oni

The potential for this is pretty amazing, and it's further breaking down the barrier between fans and creators, musicians and gamers etc. Awesome.

Avatar image for wandering_hands
    Wandering_Hands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wandering_Hands

This is just so Awesome!!!

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AURON570

the thing with user created charts or songs all-together, is that people just don't want to learn an entirely new system. But there are lots of people who want to play songs that aren't on rockband, or feel than can do a better job of charting songs that already exist on rock band. I'm not one of them, but this isn't exactly something new. Having played Stepmania for years now, i've never attempted to create my own charts, but i do appreciate the people who do take the time to make fun step charts (that fit with the music) that I can download and play for myself. It'll take some time but sooner or later people will want more than the official releases and will either start downloading user-created content or make their own.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By Heartagram

Who knew jeff had his own band...

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Media_Master

its about time!

Avatar image for wreckinrodrumbler
    WreckinRodRumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god, that sounds amazing!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I would totally buy midnight brown tracks on rock band.  You guys neeeeeeeeeeeeed to add them to this thing.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#47  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @MattyFTM: Every time anyone mentions Midnight Brown, Robot Vampire automatically starts playing in my head.
    borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#48  Edited By borgmaster

every giantbomb user who owns rock band needs to buy the midnight brown tracks when they come out, let's see if we can't get them on whatever top 10 download thing this service will inevitably have.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By skrutop
    @Keeng said:
    " @skrutop said:
    " Sounds pretty sweet, but I definitely don't have the musical chops to do anything but download and play.  Midnight Brown in RB?  That's a winner.But don't kid yourself, Jeff.  The market will be flooded with SMB music. "
    Um...no. It's not the type of thing where people can just make stuff and post it. It goes through moderation and copyright checks first and then Harmonix decides whether or not to post it. This will be real, recorded music. This will also be AWESOME.
    "
    Oh, thank God for that.
    SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

So we're up in the basement, to write some new music
    I strap on my Keytar, and I know how to use it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.