Any Pleasantly Surprising Songs?

#1 Edited by skrutop (3812 posts) -

Each Rock Band has had a few songs that I questioned before the game came out, especially early on before so many classic tracks were released as DLC.  But then I played them and absolutely loved them.  In RB1 it was Maps, which is pretty easy on drums but a hell of a lot of fun.  In RB2 it was De-Luxe by Lush, which is still one of my favorite songs to play on drums.  Has anyone had one in RB3 that they thought they'd hate, but actually love? 

Like a lot of people, I wondered what the hell Harmonix was thinking by putting Rehab by Amy Winehouse in the game.  I was singing last night and my wife was playing keys.  She wanted to check it out.  It turns out that song is so much damn fun to sing.

#2 Posted by badwhodo (262 posts) -

portions for foxes.

#3 Edited by JJWeatherman (14928 posts) -

Same about Rehab. It's growing on me rather rapidly. But the most surprisingly fun song for me... hmmm... Probably Centerfold on Pro-Keys. When you play it on hard, it's really fast and fun. Hard on pro-keys is, in general, WAAAY too hard though.

#4 Posted by Dysnomia (682 posts) -

The Con by Teagan and Sara.

#5 Posted by m2cks (633 posts) -

King George by Dover, Outer Space by The Muffs, and Portions for Foxes by Rilo Kiley were some songs (out of a surprisingly great amount) that I never heard before yet was pleased to find them enjoyable. Also, the Spanish songs were catchy as hell, despite the fact that I couldn't keep up with the lyrics whilst attempting to sing them.

#6 Posted by Stahlbrand (903 posts) -

Smashmouth - Wakling on the Sun

I grew to hate this song in the late 90s when it got played to death on the local rock/alt radio station, then it got used in every third movie trailer/commercial for 3 years, and then I had to hear it on the store's 'soft rock' work radio BS.  Their next big song 'All Star' was worse, but between those two songs I truly loathed the band and their body of work.

Now a decade later, I have to admit, that Walking on the Sun is a damn catchy tune, and tons of fun on all three instruments I have (still struggling to get a keyboard).

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (8080 posts) -

I'm so happy to see people discovering Rilo Kiley for the first time because of Rock Band 3.

#8 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

Can't speak for Rock Band 3, only for the first one. But I had this happen with a ton of songs. I didn't recognize even half of them at first, but I love playing most of them now. I still consider that game to have the best setlist in the franchise.

#9 Posted by Timma1083 (586 posts) -

Honestly, I'm finding that most songs met my expectations for being fun as hell, such as Rehab, and others didn't even come close to meeting my expectations, like I Can See for Miles and Fly Like an Eagle.

#10 Edited by Blueprint12 (290 posts) -
@Timma1083 said:

" Honestly, I'm finding that most songs met my expectations for being fun as hell, such as Rehab, and others didn't even come close to meeting my expectations, like I Can See for Miles and Fly Like an Eagle. "

Ahh man, I was very disappointed with I Can See for Miles.  You basically play rhythm guitar on the whole damn song, you don't even get to play the strumming solo :(
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#11 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -
@Stahlbrand said:
" Smashmouth - Wakling on the Sun

I grew to hate this song in the late 90s when it got played to death on the local rock/alt radio station, then it got used in every third movie trailer/commercial for 3 years, and then I had to hear it on the store's 'soft rock' work radio BS.  Their next big song 'All Star' was worse, but between those two songs I truly loathed the band and their body of work.  Now a decade later, I have to admit, that Walking on the Sun is a damn catchy tune, and tons of fun on all three instruments I have (still struggling to get a keyboard). "
This. 

One thousand times this.
#12 Posted by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

Not really surprising as I'm familiar with work of Les Claypool, but Jerry Was A Race Car Driver on Bass is the most enjoyable and absurd chart I've seen, maybe ever. If you haven't played it yet, do it right now.

#13 Posted by DrBeardface (281 posts) -
@badwhodo said:
" portions for foxes. "
Exactly.  They played it on the Big Live Live Show LIVE and I thought it was ok, but I really enjoyed it when I actually played it.
#14 Posted by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

Off topic, but it should have been in the game anyways :D

#15 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (7965 posts) -

I don't know which Rock Band had it, but one of them really turned me around on Smashing Pumpkins.  I never much cared for them until I played a song or two of theirs, and now I've downloaded a ton of their songs.

#16 Posted by Tiger1535 (25 posts) -

I really like lasso, i never heard that song before rock band 3 and i usually play it whenever im playing rb3.

#17 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5441 posts) -

King George and Rehab on the drums were nice little surprises.

#18 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -
@Wilkins_III said:
" @Chaser324 said:
" I'm so happy to see people discovering Rilo Kiley for the first time because of Rock Band 3. "
I agree with this.  I've had a lot of fun with "25 or 6 to 4" so far. That surprised me. "
That was from when Chicago was the Chicago Transit Authority, and didn't suck balls. 

Am I a bad person for discovering Rilo Kiley through The Wizard?
#19 Posted by brownsfantb (443 posts) -

Portions for Foxes, The Con, and Lasso. I never really listened to any of these songs or these bands but they're among my favorite on RB3.

#20 Posted by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

General thought, but The Con sounded to me like a Brand New song sped up, and with all of the appeal removed. Maybe that's just me :)

Avatar image for little_socrates
#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5844 posts) -

King George, though listening to Portions For Foxes before the game came out was really cool. Other than that, I was surprised by how fun Space Oddity was. I figured one of the songs off Ziggy Stardust or Bowie's funk era ("Fame", "Dancing In The Street", "Let's Dance") would've been better, but Space Oddity is absolutely perfect to play on every instrument I care about (I don't really play drums myself, though they're enjoyable.)

#22 Posted by T_Prime (54 posts) -

So far, RB3's brought back a number of old songs I love but hadn't heard in years, like Walk of Life, Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Don't Stand So Close to Me. (I think RB3 has the most music I've known before playing the game out of any music game I've played.) But as to the question of songs I'd never heard, "Last Dance" by The Raveonettes was surprisingly catchy and fun, and acrually catchy enough that I bought it on iTunes immediately after hearing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.