Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band Blitz

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 29, 2012

Rock Band Blitz is an arcade-style rhythm game from Harmonix that is "fast, and loud, and silly, and a little over the top, and bright, and fun, and quick." It is capable of using every song from a player's Rock Band library.

So, first impressions?

bakoomerang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bakoomerang

Just played the demo. I'm not really big into rhythm games but I was looking forward to trying this because I enjoyed Rock Band Unplugged on the PSP, but now having played it this game isn't really like that which is disappointing. I don't really know what it is about it, it just doesn't feel right. I think to me it felt more natural in Rock Band Unplugged to play phrases on each instrument before switching to another to keep your combo going, whereas in Blitz you just bounce around all over the place. There doesn't seem to be much penalty for missing notes either. Also I don't care for only having two notes per instrument, feels like it limits what they can do with the note tracking. They should have gone with four.

It's probably my own fault for expecting it to be something it's not, but it's just not clicking with me. What do you guys think of it?

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Djratchet

I like it because it gives new life to the obscene amount of DLC I have gotten for RB. Also, it is close enough to a new Amplitude, that it will do. If nothing else it's a nice grab bag of new songs for 15 bucks.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm really digging it, if for no other reason than the fact that it gives me somthing to do with all of these Rock Band songs on my 360 hard drive. Plus, as someone that lives in an apartment, this is an easier and less disruptive way to enjoy these songs than pissing off my neighbors by banging on the RB drums.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By GS_Dan

I thought that the 2 note highway would be overly simple, but songs still kick my arse.

Fullmetalwwant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fullmetalwwant

I played a few songs and I like it, I wasn't sure how it was going to play but I like it very much

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

I like this game alot. I have quite a few friends who have a ton of DLC but don't play the instrument-based games any more. This is a great way to use all those songs and then humiliate them in score wars.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Maajin

I'm liking it a lot. My only big complain are the difficulty ratings. They're using the same ranking method as the one on classic Rock Band, and it does not apply at all. I'm sure it is pretty hard to sing "Moves Like Jagger" but to say that that vocal track is a tier-7 difficulty on Blitz doesn't make any sense.

@bakoomerang said:

There doesn't seem to be much penalty for missing notes either. Also I don't care for only having two notes per instrument, feels like it limits what they can do with the note tracking. They should have gone with four.

Yeah, contrary to previous games the challenge isn't so much on hitting the every note, but on finding the optimal power-up usage for each situation. That said, when you're competing for the highest score, it becomes crucial to maintain your Blitz Mode, and that can be a pain, especially when changing instruments.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dropabombonit

I'm liking it but need more time to get good at it, only got 5 stars in 2/12 songs that I have played

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Carryboy

Didn't like it, the 2 highways makes it boring the songs sound bad because of the effects they have to put on (vocals disappearing whatever because you haven't got there yet). The only real draw is getting high scores with friends but as none of my friends will play this game it seems a little pointless. Seems to me like there clutching at straws as they know the Plastic instrument games are done.

Whampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Whampire

I actually think that it's pretty good, but I seriously doubt that it will have mass appeal. My girlfriend loves RB and has zero interest in Blitz after seeing it in action.

Pretty fun and worth my money, though.

fuzzy510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fuzzy510

@dropabombonit said:

I'm liking it but need more time to get good at it, only got 5 stars in 2/12 songs that I have played

Yeah, I can get four stars with regularity, but five stars is a struggle for me. And gold stars? Forget it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm having issues with it. I'm trying, but there really needs to be a better tutorial. I consistently get 3 stars and an occasional 4, but the game isn't telling me what i'm doing wrong. There must be a trick to it, i'm seeing massive scores above me. Even the powerups aren't helping me out sometimes I feel like they're forcing me to other lanes that hinder my scoring.

Some of the note patterns look kinda fucked and I'm unsure how to hit some of them, they just come at you so fast in really irregular patterns... It also doesn't help that the 360 D-pad is an unresponsive piece of shit. I would have felt after close to 70 songs I'd have some sense of how to play properly and even a 5th star on one song. I want to keep trying but restarting costs coins and I don't want to grind coins just to have another shot with the same powerups.

Also as cool as the challenges are in RB World that shit should be in the game. There is no excuse and having to quit out to queue up some more challenges as you can't accept too many on the page is a real pain. The challenges like these were in RB 2 and 3 and I should at least be able to see their progress in the game. It also doesn't help that there's a bunch of unnecessary steps in activating/looking at goals on the FB app.

I expected this to breathe new life into my RB songs, I still play three (have regularly bought DLC) and all this game is doing is forcing me back to that game. As a 25 song track pack with about 22 songs I despise it doesn't seem like it was worth the money. Hey, maybe it will click with me at some point, but at the minute I'm not sure if this is for me.

Edit - further complaint... I got 5 stars on Wicker Man and a really great score only for the game to disconnect from RB world and decide not only was I not allowed the coins or the cred, but also my 5 stars. This is pretty bad and I haven't been able to get close to that score ever again.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mtcantor

Scratching that same itch that Amplitude, Frequency and Audiosurf did. Plus I love being able to use all that old DLC I had for RB2 and 3 that I haven't played in years.

Absolutely worth the cash. Great little game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By MildMolasses

To those having trouble with the five star ratings, don't worry about it. You need the better power ups that you have to unlock through playing more songs. I think I may have five starred a couple of the blitz songs on initial playthroughs, but now that I have the other power ups, I'm hitting 5 on almost everything, and have gold starred a few as well

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Mijati

Not liking it as much as I thought I would. Just seems too simple to me and not getting a lot out of it. When playing songs it just makes me want to play Rock Band proper.

I mean, it's still fun and it's good that it uses all previous DLC but it's just not doing it for me for whatever reason.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

@MildMolasses:

I have all the powerups. Ive been doing much better since changing the control scheme also. I got 3 five stars now and have come close on occasion, but I'm still unsure what is getting me higher scores. I consistently get 4 stars now though. I can't really tell what powerups seem more useful because mixing it up between jackpot thing, bus and bandmate my scores are still wildly all over the place.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By MildMolasses

@GunstarRed: Well for me, I've been using the runaway note, which has been giving me 50k-80k per song, along with road rage and the guitar booster. I suppose it all comes down to preference, but those have been working quite well for me. Mind you it could also be that I've just gotten fairly good at the game since my overall score is way higher than the next closest as I've played a ton of it since it came out

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.