Follow

Rocksteady Studios Ltd

Company »

Rocksteady Studios Ltd. is a London based game development company that has worked on three games. Urban Chaos: Riot Response released in 2006, Batman: Arkham Asylum released in 2009 and Batman: Arkham City in 2011.

Rocksteady Should Make a Harry Potter Game

• 57 results
    mattarrojas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

@lazyaza: well, Harry Potter does have a slight amount of violence, although it's not usually super graphic like in Lord of the Rings. Also, there's plenty of murder and death in the HP too, but maybe not in the way that you want. If you want gore like Shadow of Mordor, a Harry Potter game definitely won't be it. I'm not familiar with Warhammer 40K but if that could be a great game, then I'm all for it. My idea was just an idea but Rocksteady can definitely go out and do anything the want and do it well at this point. I just hope their next game is good and that people enjoy it in the end. Thanks for the comment!

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@shortbreadtom: If you name what see as compelling characters, maybe I'd see where you're coming from. What kind of fiction you like. I would argue that saying Batman is not one of the most compelling fictional characters in the world would be saying LOTR is not one of the most compelling set of fantasy books in the world.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@shortbreadtom said:

@mikelitoriz: "Most compelling fictional character ever created"? What are YOU on?!

I freaking love the Batman character, and I think he's without a doubt one of the best fictional characters ever created. There are so many reasons for this. Just his origin story is so god damned beautifully tragic. And the fact that he doesn't really have a alter ego. He's never anything other than the Batman. Bruce Wayne is just a tool in the arsenal. That's tragic and great all at the same time.

Batman is basically a manifestation of trauma, a child’s terrified response to the murder of his parents. Technically, you could say that Bruce Wayne is well on the road to an anti-social behavioural disorder – with his frequent flights of violence and inability to conform to social norms – and yet this darkness is offset beautifully by his compassion toward life, and empathy toward Gotham’s citizens. Whatever side he's on, you can be certain it’s the winning team. The on-going story constantly explores how close he skirts to the line between hero and villain, and how dangerous he would be to Gotham and even the Earth if he ever crossed it.

Anyway. I said one of the most compelling fictional characters. If you disagree, mention a handful of characters you find compelling.

Never really found Batman himself all that compelling myself, to be honest. The world around him and the villains he's up against have always been more interesting to me. Yeah, he's full of personal demons and close to the edge, but... er... he's still kind of a dude beating up thugs in a very expensive Halloween costume (and he often finds himself up against an insane purple clown). It's very much a "pulpy" sort of story.

I think you're selling Rowling's universe way short. Now, I'm going to be frank, I don't have any interest in anything having to do with Harry Potter unless whatever comes out distances itself from the established characters and locations that the books and movies show. (I want to see some Australian wizards). I've read all the books, seen all the movies, and that part of my life is over with. Still, that series goes through seven novel's worth of depth and growth, for the characters, the world, and the themes and ideas. It's not my thing, and it's clearly not yours, but I don't think you can properly criticize anything until you understand why someone likes something that you don't and doesn't like something that you do.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda love that there's a Batman v. Harry Potter discussion on Giantbomb. That makes me happy.

Like many in this thread, I'm looking forward to whatever Rocksteady has next in the pipeline, but I would love a considered take on the Potterverse. I would also be really excited for a Green Arrow game with unique combat and traversal mechanics, fearful but optimistic about a Superman game that has to invent ways to nerf his godhood, and okay with a Ninja Turtles game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

People who still think Harry Potter primarily targets kids must've checked out after Chamber of Secrets or something. I know it may have started that way, but that series matured pretty quickly.

Also the correct answer to who should make a Harry Potter game was on the first page. Persona Team.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

Also the correct answer to who should make a Harry Potter game was on the first page. Persona Team.

Ooh! That's intriguing. While I love the Persona series, I would like a more straightforward, non-JRPG combat take on the world. But that would be significantly better than letting EA quietly hold the license until expiration.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@thatdudeguy: If Persona Team excels at anything it's creating compelling mature stories in a school setting. It's totally what the Harry Potter games need, as opposed to bad motion control games or subpar third person shooters.

I still can't believe I played through the entirety of Deathly Hallows 1.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

A super massive super detailed Hogwarts in the Rocksteady style would be awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.