Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rogue Legacy 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 28, 2022

The "genealogical rogue-lite" platformer returns with a new art style and new tricks!

Really enjoying this a lot, now seems like a good time to jump in

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AtheistPreacher

I enjoyed the hell out of the first Rogue Legacy back in the day. I maxed out my castle upgrades and beat multiple NG+'s of it. I logged 40 hours on Steam and I'm pretty sure I ended up buying it on the Playstation as well.

When Rogue Legacy 2 first arrived on Steam in early access, it truly was early access... there was only one biome available and very little content overall. In that state it was hard to recommend, except for really hardcore fans of the first game.

But as of this latest patch (released this past Tuesday), there are now five full biomes (with at least one more coming in a few months, I believe), and more than half a dozen classes to play around with. To me, it's already a better game than the first one at this point. Here's a video discussing the additions in the most recent patch:

Of the many improvements from the first game, the most obvious is that new classes now actually have completely different basic move sets. In the first game everybody had the same sword weapon, and only their stats really changed. But now mages have magic wands that shoot projectiles, valkyries have spears, barbarians have big axes, etc. Those major differences in basic gameplay really help keep runs fresh. And they keep adding classes, such as the just-released boxer. The individual biomes/zones are also now more differentiated than in the previous game.

There's also plenty of stuff to do. So far I've logged 58 hours in the game and entered the first NG+, but I remain nowhere close to maxing out my upgrades for everything, and filling out your castle and collecting gear is as satisfying as it ever was. There's a lot of game here, even though it's still not actually done yet.

Anyway, if you'd been eyeing this one but were on the fence about it, I'd recommend picking it up. As I write this, it's on sale for the weekend, 20% off, so 16 bones instead of the normal 20. Definitely worthwhile IMO.

Anyone else been playing this thing? Thoughts?

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Your post is certainly got me as close to buying it as I've been, but if it's still early access I just have to wait. I feel like I've been burned on a few games where I use all of my excitement and goodwill too early on before the content is there. But with your play time maybe I should just pull the trigger, I just think about dead cells and how much they added after I was already burnt out on it and I don't want that to happen here

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a ton of fun, but I've already had the updates reset all my progress more than once, and even though they give you enough to re-purchase everything doing that just doesn't feel the same. Since this is such a progression-based roguelike, I'm ready to just wait for the full game to come out so I can enjoy it all in one go. Really excited for it, what I've played has been awesome.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sahalarious: Hey, fair enough, I get it. Thankfully, I think the next major content update (scheduled for fall) should be the last one, because there's only one outstanding biome, and they had originally said they planned for about a year of early access (it came out last August).

The only bummer is that I hadn't realized that in addition to the 20% off sale ending this weekend, they also raised the base price from $20 to $25 to reflect a more complete game. They may end up doing another 20% off sale for release, but you probably won't be able to get it for $16 again until version 1.0 has been out for a while and it starts to see deeper discounts.

It's a ton of fun, but I've already had the updates reset all my progress more than once, and even though they give you enough to re-purchase everything doing that just doesn't feel the same. Since this is such a progression-based roguelike, I'm ready to just wait for the full game to come out so I can enjoy it all in one go. Really excited for it, what I've played has been awesome.

Interesting, I guess I haven't had quite the same subjective feeling about the "resets." I mean, you keep all your shortcut unlocks, all your relic and insight unlocks, and all your armor and rune unlocks/upgrades. The only thing that has been "resetting" with patches is the castle/passive character upgrades, which I get because the castle itself keeps expanding and changing. I suppose I simply look on the opportunity to redistribute those upgrades mostly as a boon and not really as a negative.

But I am looking forward to 1.0. Despite my thinking that the game is already better than the first one, there are still aspects that are obviously incomplete. One biome is still MIA, there's a currency you earn from killing bosses that can't currently be spent on anything (it's slated for use in an unreleased "Soul Shop," whatever that means), and the max bonus for 100 armor "unity" (i.e. bonuses for wearing pieces from the same set) isn't actually achievable yet, since you can currently only hit 90. So it'll be nice to play an actually finished version, for sure.

DenizenNomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, once you go to new game plus (the threads) can you go back to the "original game"?

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, once you go to new game plus (the threads) can you go back to the "original game"?

I wondered that at first, too. But yes, you can. I know some people ended up regretting moving to NG+ "too early" in the first one, but that isn't a problem here.

Any time you move to a new "thread" (even if it's "backwards"), the bosses will be reset and you need to pay to unlock boss portals again. But there's a special currency that you only earn via first-time boss kills on any particular thread "level." So that's an incentive to keep going onward and upward.

I believe that for this patch NG+ is limited to NG+5, but I think the plan for the finished game is for it to be either unlimited, or significantly higher. I'm still on NG+2 and haven't played in a couple of days, still not that close to maxing my castle, but I think I'm more than halfway now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.