Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Roguelike

Concept »

Roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing games characterized by the exploration of randomly-generated dungeons and permanent death. These characteristics were featured in the classic computer game Rogue, hence the term "Roguelike".

Which of the following do you personally consider to be roguelikes?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Edited By BeachThunder

Poll Which of the following do you personally consider to be roguelikes? (153 votes)

Diablo 7%
    Dungeons of Dredmor 60%
    FTL: Faster Than Light 54%
    NetHack 48%
    Oregon Trail 15%
    Receiver 5%
    Rogue 62%
    Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress 20%
    Spelunky 46%
    The Binding of Isaac 53%
    *Just show me the results* 16%

Given that 'roguelike' seems to be a fairly contentious term, I'm interested to see what people think should be included under the 'roguelike' label.

I tried to pick a diverse selection of games that have been referred to as 'roguelikes' - obviously there's more games that I could've added to the poll, but I thought it was best to stick to just ten.

Also, links to the games:

• 
    Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Canteu

Dungeons of Dredmor (edit: and nethack) is the only Roguelike in this list.

Rogue is not a Roguelike, because it is what Roguelikes are based upon.

Perma-death does not a Roguelike make.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: WHAT ABOUT NETHACK CANTEU?

rubzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rubzo

@canteu said:

I consider Roguelike to mean "has a lot of qualities found in the game Rogue", which Rogue unquestionably does.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue is what Roguelike's are based on. Apart from Nethack all these games have roguelike elements but are not roguelikes themselves.

It's cliché to say but the term Roguelike is touted about waaaaay to much and has lost a lot of its meaning.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

Only true roguelikes in the list are nethack, dungeons of dreadmor and Dwarf Fortress (adventure mode), Rogue is not rogue"like" it's just Rogue :P

Also Receiver, oregon trail and spelunky? those couldn't be farther from being a roguelike, it really sorta pisses me off when people call a game roguelike just because there is permadeath and some randomization involved..

@canteu said:

Dungeons of Dredmor is the only Roguelike in this list.

Perma-death does not a Roguelike make.

clearly you never played nethack nor dwarf fortress

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Canteu

@rubzo: But it's not like Rogue, since it IS Rogue. It's like saying "that monkey is pretty monkeylike". Just don't make no damn sense!

@samstrife: I actually didn't see that in the list. Nethack counts too.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dredmor, NetHack, and I guess Dwarf Fortress in dungeon mode or whatever it's called are rougelikes.

The rest have elements of rougelikes it different ways, but that's it, they arn't 'like' Rogue any more at that point, just sharing some design ideas.

and of course Rogue itself doesn't count.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: Dwarf Fortress is so weird because whilst it has all the qualities of a Roguelike (at least in adventure mode) it's hard to call it one. It feels almost like it's transcended that moniker.

@rubzo said:

@canteu said:

I consider Roguelike to mean "has a lot of qualities found in the game Rogue", which Rogue unquestionably does.

Would you describe the Sun as, "like the Sun because it has a lot of sun like qualities?" Of course you wouldn't because that's silly.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Canteu

@onarum: All I've seen of dwarf fortress is the town building stuff. Didn't seem very Roguelike to me, but if there's another mode then I shall defer of course! And yeah, I didn't see Nethack.

@samstrife: Bad example Sam! You could totally compare another sun to our sun, due to it sharing our suns qualities, such as being yellow. Silly hedgehog!

rubzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rubzo

@samstrife said:

Would you describe the Sun as, "like the Sun because it has a lot of sun like qualities?" Of course you wouldn't because that's silly.

Absolutely. This stems from having a mathematical/formal logic education, you get to say a lot of really silly and obvious - yet true - things.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@canteu: Doesn't being the first of a genre include it in that genre?

On topic, the definition of Roguelike seems to be "a game characterized by random dungeons and permanent death", so a lot of those are Roguelikes. Saying that only games exactly like Rogue can be Roguelikes is like saying that the only FPS games are those like Wolfenstein - there's a lot that can be done with the idea.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubzo: That just seems needlessly tedious and whilst technically true, it's not something someone would every say because it's so dumb.

@canteu: I HATE YOU!

rubzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubzo: That just seems needlessly tedious

Welcome to my life. :'(

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop splitting hairs and PLAY THE GAME

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Canteu

@believer258: You have to consider though, they must share enough similarities such as the layout and generally the design style to be considered Roguelike, at least that's how I feel.

Frankly comparing Spelunky to Rogue is like comparing Gears of War to Halo. Yes they both have guns and you shoot guys (read perma-death and random dungeons), but one is first person and the other is third person, thus seperating them by genre.

@samstrife I love you Sam!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: you make a good point

@samstrife: well, I guess you could say that, it doesn't really has the single obligatory multilevel dungeon from which you have to retrieve an item or kill a monster, also the insane combat systems is in a league of its own, still I consider it a roguelike.

@canteu: you should most definitely try it, it's freaking awesome

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nightriff

I don't think I should've voted by reading your comments...I guess I don't really understand what a roguelike is and isn't...

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By onarum

wow... spelunky had the most votes(by the time I wrote this), wtf?

yeah people really have no idea what a roguelike really is, calling spelunky a roguelike is the same as calling COD an RPG(because of leveling up)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genre distinction discussions aren't that interesting anyway. If one wants to discuss if a particular game's Rogue-Like qualities then go for it but I don't see the compelling reason to build up a list of "is/is not".

Prestige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Rogue is a roguelike, because the definition of "rougelike" is not merely "like Rogue," but is a genre that includes Rogue. Anyway, I believe in the Berlin Interpretation. Everything else is just a roguelite or a roguelikelike.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are people really so uptight about this? Personally I throw the term around when a game has permadeath and some level of randomization going on. Then we can separate the games with the help of more genres. ADOM is an obtrusive, ugly, roguelike RPG game while Spelunky is a roguelike platformer.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Jams

Here we go again. Bunch of semantics about words.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams: why even have words if we aren't going to use them for their specific purposes. We may as well just grunt and point right? Babies seem to do just fine just crying, maybe we should do that instead.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By alternate

People get too hung up on categories. They all borrow elements, and so to some degree, are like Rogue. Some much more than others.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@extomar said:

Genre distinction discussions aren't that interesting anyway. If one wants to discuss if a particular game's Rogue-Like qualities then go for it but I don't see the compelling reason to build up a list of "is/is not".

This this this this this.

Any kind of genre discussion where people are asked to definitively place something in one category but not another is a recipe for a really boring conversation. Especially with roguelikes, since there's a lot of grognards that are inexplicably super wound-up about that term.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@jams: why even have words if we aren't going to use them for their specific purposes. We may as well just grunt and point right? Babies seem to do just fine just crying, maybe we should do that instead.

If people want to consider random maps and permanent death definitive rogue like qualities, then so be it. Arguing over technicalities seems pointless when the majority seem to not care. I'm sure in a couple years we won't call games with those features rogue likes anymore anyways. Just like we stopped calling first person shooters, "Doom clones".

Calling a game like Receiver a rogue like seems to be fitting enough even if it doesn't have ASCII graphics. It's not like Rogue has a plethora of features that'd make it harder to discern from other games. It's an ASCII graphics based RPG where the dungeons monsters and loot are randomly generated and death is permanent. Most of those games (save for Diablo) feature most of the Rogue feature set. ASCII graphics where just a product of the time and shouldn't really be considered a staple of Rogue. So how again are those games not rogue likes?

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Coafi

Wait, Spelunky is not a roguelike...?

First line from the game's wiki:

Spelunky is a freeware 2D roguelike platformer ...

I guess someone needs to edit that wiki.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I don't know what Rogue is.

I wanna know what Rogue is. I want you to show me. I wanna feel what Rogue is. I know you can show me.

Avatar image for cabrit_sans_cor
    cabrit_sans_cor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cabrit_sans_cor

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that, not too long ago, nobody very few people knew what the fuck a roguelilke was. Now that there are a bunch of games borrowing the concepts of permanent death and random levels, the label has spread, and now everybody's throwing it around.

Not that I mind really - I mean, those concepts weren't really widespread until recently. I'm fine with a game that has random levels and permanent death using the term "roguelike," because words change over time. But only if those are core parts of the gameplay, and not part of some sort of "super hardcore" mode (like Diablo, for instance). Also, I'd say the level of randomization needed for a game to be called a roguelike would have to be complete - every level being randomly generated and different from the last, and not just partial randomization. Other than that, I'm okay with the term roguelike being applied to games like Spelunky or Isaac. In fact, I think it's kind of cool that these core concepts of roguelikes are being applied to genres that haven't featured them before.

But that's just my opinion.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#31 chaser324  Moderator

The fact that NetHack and Dredmor haven't been picked by every person voting pretty much invalidates this poll.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#32  Edited By StarvingGamer

How the fuck are there more votes for anything than NetHack?

Clearly, you people are uncivilized beasts.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's impossible to use the word roguelike without a dozen neckbeards getting bent out of shape about it so I've decided to embrace the term roguelite and put every single roguelike in that bucket. Essentially, this means that there is Rogue, no roguelikes, and hundreds or thousands of roguelites.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Slaegar

It is super annoying how anything with perma-death is considered a roguelike. Is every game where you can save and reload a doom-like?

There is a DoomRL, though. Only one I've played.

Roguelikes are tile based turn-ish based (where an action you take is equal to an action your enemy takes and nothing acts unless you do). You die forever. Its randomized and it has 87 keybindings that make no sense (wait reload in the page down key?).

The Binding of Isaac is a dual stick shooter with perma-death.

I guess Skyrim is a 3D roguelike with a set world.

Hell people call Dark Souls a roguelike.

I'm just gonna call everything a roguelike rogue-like everyone else.

Also World of Warcraft is my favorite FPS.

DON'T LABEL ME

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.