Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rubber Band AI

Concept »

Rubber Band AI is an infamous hidden feature in racing games that allows computer-controlled opponents to catch up no matter how far behind they are. It is intended to keep challenging the player, but can also give AI opponents an unfair advantage.

Rubber band AI is actually not present in Mario Kart Wii

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By peewi

Mario Kart Wii is listed as one of the games in which Rubber Band AI can be found. I believe that despite rubber banding being prevelant in previous Mario Kart titles, it actually isn't the case with MKW.

But what about you people? Do you think MKW has rubber banding or not?

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gary_Jinfield

I've seen arguments for both factions of thought and there still seems to be some ambiguity in the matter. Based on personal experience, the situation remains ambiguous, as a times large gaps between me and my cpu opponents do occur with leeway but, other races (especially those in the grand prix mode) feature the cpus constantly behind the player and ready to pass at any moment.

At the least, the rubber banding element isn't as pervasive as Super Mario Kart 64, although it still seems to exist at some level.

Dairyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dairyman

In some instances, I was very frustrated that somehow the other racers were constantly behind me, so yes.  But personally, I do blame half of these on overpowered items meant to make the game even more casual friendly than it already is.  How far up some items would take someone if they're in the back was downright ridiculous.

thomas10soa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By thomas10soa

what are you, stupid?

mario kart wii has more rubberband ai than any other mario karts

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Endogene
    Some people are confusing mario kart its item system with rubber banding .

In mario kart wii you get better item when you're last then when you're first.
    Thus whenever someone is 12th he has a high chance of getting a bullet bill, which creates the illusion of rubber banding.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    Endogene said:
    "Some people are confusing mario kart its item system with rubber banding .

Thus whenever someone is 12th he has a high chance of getting a bullet bill, which creates the illusion of rubber banding.
    "

I have limited MKW experience but a number of my friends have felt that this "item rubber banding" is SOOO bad in Mario Kart for the Wii that it seriously hurts the overall gameplay.

Basically that it renders the first two and a half laps meaningless.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Endogene
    ProfessorEss said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Some people are confusing mario kart its item system with rubber banding .

"

I have limited MKW experience but a number of my friends have felt that this "item rubber banding" is SOOO bad in Mario Kart for the Wii that it seriously hurts the overall gameplay.

Basically that it renders the first two and a half laps meaningless."
    pretty much, when i play it with friends i usually play it without items, there are some settings that change the item distribution thoug.
    Especially the on-line that is hurt since you cant set up a game without items, the winner is decided in the last 10 seconds, especially when every body is riding in a pack, nr12 get bullet bill and wins even though 2 seconds earlier he was number 12, its retarded.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.