Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rune Factory: Frontier

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Rune Factory: Frontier is the first game in the Rune Factory series to be released on the Nintendo Wii. The game focuses on the development of Trampoli village by planting crops, exploring dungeons, and developing personal relationships with the other townspeople.

I started a Rune Factory game. What was I thinking?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Edited By Meowayne

"Just one more day, then I´ll go to bed. Maybe two."
    What is it about the human nature that Harvest-Moon-games speak so thoroughly to? I just wanted to have a quick look at Rune Factory: Frontier, ended up playing 3 hours today - and I have not even scratched the surface of the things this game has me do for the next few virtual seasons. 
    Why? Why do I enjoy a game that simulates mundane, repetetive work?
    Oh New Super Mario Bros. Wii, it was good to have known you.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Meowayne

"Just one more day, then I´ll go to bed. Maybe two."
    What is it about the human nature that Harvest-Moon-games speak so thoroughly to? I just wanted to have a quick look at Rune Factory: Frontier, ended up playing 3 hours today - and I have not even scratched the surface of the things this game has me do for the next few virtual seasons. 
    Why? Why do I enjoy a game that simulates mundane, repetetive work?
    Oh New Super Mario Bros. Wii, it was good to have known you.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

Welcome to my world  (^_^) 

It is thoroughly addictive.  For no reason that makes sense, I have to keep growing those crops and collecting everything I can.  I too have experienced the "I will do just one day" and 4 hours and 2 seasons later, "oh crap, is that the time, I need to go to bed."  I haven't met a Harvest Moon game I didn't enjoy in some way.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rallier

Just wait until you get the kitchen and you'll be making jams out of your crops for RP restoration. You'll hit level 99 before the end of the second season.

@oldschool said:

" Welcome to my world  (^_^)  It is thoroughly addictive.  For no reason that makes sense, I have to keep growing those crops and collecting everything I can.  I too have experienced the "I will do just one day" and 4 hours and 2 seasons later, "oh crap, is that the time, I need to go to bed."  I haven't met a Harvest Moon game I didn't enjoy in some way. "
    You managed to do 2 seasons in only 4 hours? 

No Caption Provided
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

I have heard this game is addicting and crazy easy to loose track of time in so I have been avoiding it, which is probably a good thing for me. After all, I am still playing Harvest Moon 64.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Godwind

Looks like I should pick it up.  This game is crazy cheap.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @Rallier said: 
    God no, that was just meant as a throwaway line with no real attempt at accuracy.
    @Godwind said:
    " Looks like I should pick it up.  This game is crazy cheap. "
    Yes, you should. 
    @Cerza said:
    " I have heard this game is addicting and crazy easy to loose track of time in so I have been avoiding it, which is probably a good thing for me. After all, I am still playing Harvest Moon 64. "
    My collection of home console games is now, SNES, N64, Gamecube x 3 (A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life & Magical Melody - more like the N64 one) and 2  x Wii (Rune Factory & Tree of Tranquility).  I am sure Animal Parade will join that list as well.  It is such an endearing series and quite possibly my favourite franchise.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've only played the DS version which is pretty similiar to this one. It's combines the fun of Harvest Moon (if you like repetition) with a basic dungeon crawler. I really enjoy that so I guess this should be better in some ways. I still love my wife though (even though I can't remember her name...).

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @Rallier

Jesus, 50 hours in and still in year 1?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's a meditative experience.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Rallier  Jesus, 50 hours in and still in year 1? "
    Still in the 3rd season ^^

Cooking and forging will do that to you.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Another three hours wasted yesterday. Still not sold on just how little work you can do each day i.e. RP limitation, but you said this won't be an issue anymore once I get a kitchen?

There are no animals in the game? What is the benefit of catching and caring for monsters, apart from emplyong them in the farming and taking them into the dungeons?

And.. I bought something but have no idea what it is. There were two "fodder" items in the store. I bought one of them. I could not feed it and I could not plant it. I could put it in the box in front of the barn, though.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:
    " Another three hours wasted yesterday. Still not sold on just how little work you can do each day i.e. RP limitation, but you said this won't be an issue anymore once I get a kitchen?  There are no animals in the game? What is the benefit of catching and caring for monsters, apart from emplyong them in the farming and taking them into the dungeons?  And.. I bought something but have no idea what it is. There were two "fodder" items in the store. I bought one of them. I could not feed it and I could not plant it. I could put it in the box in front of the barn, though. "
    This is what unfortunately makes harvest moon games harvest moon games. After playing for a while you realise that you missed out on a vital concept since the game did not tell you about it and you figure that it would be better to just start a new game. 

As for RP restoration there are 3 things you can do:
    • Transform your crops into food with the kitchen, strawberry jam for example replenishes 125 RP at level 1.
    • Going to the bath house that you unlock by going in the Whale Island dungeon and meeting Melody. 10g for a full restore
    • Growing crops in dungeon. Every fill 3x3 square of crops you plant in a dungeon will produce 1 rune bit (not sure of the name) that will restore 125 RP, so 4 full grown patches at the beginning green dungeon will allow you to fully replenish your RP fully

Some of the animal you encounter in the dungeons when captured can be milked, sheered, harvested. There are some "cows" and "sheeps" that you can get on the fin section of whale island from the start of the game. Employing animal to do labor on your farm is a god send, in my save game i have a "red ant" with a 4 level friendship and it will harvest 1/3 of me field by it self which is something that would take half a day if you would do it yourself. 

Fodder is what your animals eat, you can either buy it in the store like you did or you can grow some grass and cut that once it matures. An animal eats 1 piece of fodder a day. You don't have to give it to them manually just throw the bought fodder in the hatch of the barn and cut the grass.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Thank you for the information.
    I did actually "unlock" the bath house right before I stopped playing yesterday, good to know that it will replenish RP. 
    And I wondered what the fields in the dungeons were for and why you would want to grow crops there. Though I am sure there is some NPC in the game that at one point would have told me that. They always do, and you always miss that (it was pure luck, talking to the old lady to get the axe)

I know the concept of fodder, as it is no different from previous Harvest Moon games, but the thing I bought was neither fodder nor grass seeds? I will have to check what it says in the description.

How does employing animals work? Do you assign jobs, or can you specify who does what when?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Scooper

Oh no you don't. I played the GameCube Harvest Moon and I'm keeping away from these types of games from now on. Time fades away when I played it.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:
    " Thank you for the information. I did actually "unlock" the bath house right before I stopped playing yesterday, good to know that it will replenish RP.  And I wondered what the fields in the dungeons were for and why you would want to grow crops there. Though I am sure there is some NPC in the game that at one point would have told me that. They always do, and you always miss that (it was pure luck, talking to the old lady to get the axe)  I know the concept of fodder, as it is no different from previous Harvest Moon games, but the thing I bought was neither fodder nor grass seeds? I will have to check what it says in the description.  How does employing animals work? Do you assign jobs, or can you specify who does what when? "
    Another use of the fields in the cave is that it is aways a specific season in them which is really handy when you are trying to level up crops with the combination of the seed maker and the greenifier (lvl9 tomato= 600g every 1 to 3 days). It is also handy for when you need specific crops or flowers for a certain dish, accesory, armour or weapon that can only be grown in a certain season. On whale island you can grow crops of any season. Green Cave i believe is spring, the Lava one summer and the ice cave autom. 

The jobs are animal specific and you can only asign one animal to do a specific job a day so there is no point in having say 2 "ants" that can harvest crops in your barn since only one will be able to do it. There is a chart on the front of the barn i believe that shows at what hours what task will be performed.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho

This game is incredible.  I had a user review of it featured on this very site a few months back.  Enjoyed every second of it.  Well, besides the incredibly annoying load screens.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowayne

Oh geez, I see there is still a lot of stuff coming up. Seed maker? Levelling up crops? Wha? I should never have started. :D

I know now what confused me about buying fodder at Erik's. It says something about mowing in the description, even though you're buying fodder, and after you put it into the bin at the barn, it says "I don't have any fodder" (which I presumed referred to what is in the bin, not what you could potentially put there).

Is there an animal that does the watering for you? 

Enjoyed every second of it.  Well, besides the incredibly annoying load screens.  

HDD installs ftw.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, where did you import it from, as Europe has yet to see a release.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Willy105

I have been trying to track down this game, but maybe I'll wait until I have the time to afford it (not the money).

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:
    Is there an animal that does the watering for you? 

Yes there is, I believe they are actually called elefuns (take a guess what they look like) and they can be found in the lava ruins. Actually you might have a baby Elefun standing in the ahll of your barn if you explored whale island some what further then the point where you meet Melody however this one wont be able to do any work for you. There are also some other monsters that can help you with watering but they only appear in the later dungeons. Unfortunately it is not all that helpfull later in the game since as soon as you upgrade your watering can to level 4 you can water your whole field in less then a minute and befriending elefun to a high enough friendship level that it is as effective as the higher level watering can takes over a year. 

Did you unlock the rune spirit distribution mechanics by the way? I believe that on the 7th day you can trigger the event with Kano by talking to him in the morning. The game is really bad with showing you what to do i must say.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne
    Al3x: I thought it was common knowledge by now that Play Asia is the way to go for every import need. They have Rune Factory for 27€.

Rallier: No, I did not unlock rune spirit distribution. I am still confused by the whole Rune thing, as I did not play the DS game. By the way, will I get an explanation as to how to use magic?
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:

Rallier: No, I did not unlock rune spirit distribution. I am still confused by the whole Rune thing, as I did not play the DS game. By the way, will I get an explanation as to how to use magic? "

The magic skill is only for when you use staffs in combat, it is a bit weird that it is even there since so far as i know there are no staffs that can heal you unlike the previous Rune Factory games. Not to say that staffs are not usefull, I used the first staff you can make to defeat the hardest boss of the game. 

The Rune system is a joy...
    There are 6(?) zones on the map and your goal is to keep the number of every elemental runey at 40 or above the maximum being 60. When all the zones have over 40 of every type of elemental the growth rate of your grops will increase by a lot (tomatoes instead of taking 4 days to regrow will only take one day to regrow). The problem is that they eat each other and if you do not take care of their population they will become extinct and a single turnip will take up to 16 days to grow which when you do not know that all of this even exist (aka my first 20hours in game) is extremely frustrating. Your field is special as in the Runeys there will not eat each-other and for every crop you have in a cave an additional runey will spawn there per day. So what you will have to do is have a lot of mature crops in caves and move runeys over from your field to the other zones. I would have preferred that this system was not in the game really.
    An other use of the runeys you harvest (you get a special tool for this when you meet Candy and Cinnamon) is to create rune wonders via Candy which is EXTREMELY helpfull in the early game since for only a couple of runeys you can make it rain and thus allowing you to not water your crops for a week.

edit: I think i just explained you the wrong concept, you might have meant the Rune orbs mature crops produce in caves. When a crop matures in a cave it will produce one white orb of light a day that when you walk over it replenishes 125 RP and it will continue to do this so long as you do not harvest any of the crops of the patch.
    PIckistikiwiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PIckistikiwiki

man, i love this game so much! but whats the deal with brodrick?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.