Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Runic Games

Company »

From the ashes of Flagship Studios Seattle, Runic Games. Lead by Travis Baldree and Max Schaefer.

Runic Games has shut down

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

https://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-studio-behind-gigantic-studio-behind-to-1820120915

Poor one out for the devs that made Torchlight, Torchlight II and Hob. I enjoyed what I played of TLII and was really hoping they'd make a third game.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Disappointing to hear, but not entirely unexpected. One of the founders, as well as one of the Schaefer brothers left a few years ago.

Best of luck to those that lost their jobs.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, maybe I should have picked up Hob. :(

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

That's a shame. I always liked the looks of the Torchlight games more than I liked how they played, though.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's a shame. I love Torchlight 1 and 2. Apparently more info about the fate of that series will be revealed soon, but It's such a bummer Runic is shutting down. Hob looks cool. I feel like the game did not get a lot of attention. Really hope it's not due to low sales :/

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, like less than a month after releasing Hob?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Closed the studio to focus on online games? :-/

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They closed down Motiga too but that seemed inevitable after their deal with Microsoft went down the drain. Perfect World's really does suck.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's a shame, I love their games.

I just got Hob last week and like it a lot.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Bummer. Torchlight 1 hit for me, but for some reason Torchlight 2 never managed to stick.

Statement from Runic Games:

Hey everyone,

It’s been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. We’ve been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family.

I’m sorry to say that today will be Runic’s last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email jobs@runicgames.com.

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio’s lights go off.

It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we won’t be far from each other, and I’ll miss seeing you all every week.

You haven’t heard the last of us,

Marsh Lefler

Studio Head

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dray2k

Damn, this freaking sucks so much. I loved Torchlight 2, its still lightyears ahead from what Diablo 3 can do.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Xealot42

Dang, that's a shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Well...fuck. :(

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Man, what a bummer. The Torchlight games were really good.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer. I never liked Torchlight as much as Diablo 3, but I was still kinda interested in that mobile version they had been talking about. I guess that's not happening.

Vitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck Perfect World.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emprpngn

RIP Runic. I really enjoyed the Torchlight games and it sucks to see this studio go under.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrFlapjack

Torchlight 2 was the first game I had played in that genre. I can't believe they made the first one in only 11 months.

Motiga also closed. I never played it, but it did have a cool style. I had a few friends there. I hope everyone finds a job quick!

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

What a shame. The Torchlight games were a ton of fun, and I was really hoping to see a third someday. Admittedly was a little worried when I stumbled onto Torchlight 2 in my library recently, and saw they hadn't really done a lot since.

Good luck to the folks who lost their job.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sad to see them go. I hope all the devs land on their feet!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer :(

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wadtomaton

I had a buddy that worked at Runic and then later Motiga. Luckily he had left a couple of months ago to work with the guys who made Rebel Galaxy (which was founded by Travis, one of the guys that had founded Runic). Always a bummer when studios close though :(

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always a shame when people lose their jobs. I liked Torchlight on XBLA a lot but never played TL II because it never came to console. I have it on PC and should play it there I guess.

Hob seems like a good game launched at the wrong time. Late September is always stacked and there just isn't enough time and attention to go around. If it came out during a less busy time (which still do exist, though not to the degree they used to) it might have gotten more attention. I know personally it went on my "pick it up at a discount when there's less going on" list and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It also didn't seem to have much of a marketing push or a great explanation of what kind of game it is.

The industry is so competitive right now that it's not enough to make a good game. Games need to either be exceptional or have a great pitch in order to stand out from the crowd and make money. It's a shame for the developers but man is there a ton to play for consumers.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really sucks. Hob was such a fun game and TL was great. Rough time to release that one with all the other titles crowding that time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

What a bummer. I never really got hooked on the Torchlight games (my problem with most loot-driven ARPGs mostly involves the part where they aren't Diablo II) but they were still solid as hell examples of that genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

This really is a shame.

I really liked the first Torchlight game (it was probably one of the first of that Diablo style of game that I played) though I never did get around to its squeal. I heard high praise about their latest game Hob too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.