Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rush'N Attack: Ex-Patriot

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 29, 2011

The Rush'N Attack name returns in the form of an all-new downloadable game.

Rush'N Attack Ex-Patriot Is Not Shadow Complex

• 53 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

When Konami showed the following trailer at its press event last night, I was taken aback:

Wow, that sure looks like Shadow Complex, right? They couldn't even avoid using the word "complex" in the trailer. So the split for me was between shaking my head at a game that looked like a shameless clone of one of last year's best games and getting all excited because I'd totally play through a Shadow Complex clone, especially one that's knife-focused and bears the Rush'N Attack name.

They weren't letting folks play the game last night, but I did go take a look at the brief demo and saw that, despite the incredibly similar visual styles, Ex-Patriot is not a Shadow Complex clone. The biggest difference is that Rush'N Attack sounds like it's a much more straightforward game. It's not about collecting items that grant you access to other areas of the "complex" that you weren't able to access before. It doesn't look like they're working from the same "Metroidvania" blueprint at all. Instead, you'll work your way through three large environments, each of which ends with a boss fight. The game will have a stealth slant to it, meaning there are alarms that you can trip if you aren't careful. If and when you set off an alarm, walls slam down on either side of you and you'll have to fight a rushing force before you can proceed. EMP grenades are one of the ways you can disable alarm systems.

Of course, if you just want to stab fools, you can just charge through and set off as many alarms as you like. As you play, you'll level up, which will unlock additional knife combos. While you'll find weapons along the way, they work a lot like they did in the original Rush'N Attack. You can only fire them forward, and they have a very limited amount of ammo. So if you find a rocket launcher, you'll get three shots off and then toss it aside. As you play, you'll earn points and raise your multipliers by knifing a lot of guys. You'll also get more points for finishing a stage quickly. Online leaderboards will track your progress there and let you compare it against others, obviously.

So... yeah, it sure does look like Shadow Complex. But it's definitely sounding like more action than adventure, with just enough of the ideas from the original Rush'N Attack to set it apart. Could be cool.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

When Konami showed the following trailer at its press event last night, I was taken aback:

Wow, that sure looks like Shadow Complex, right? They couldn't even avoid using the word "complex" in the trailer. So the split for me was between shaking my head at a game that looked like a shameless clone of one of last year's best games and getting all excited because I'd totally play through a Shadow Complex clone, especially one that's knife-focused and bears the Rush'N Attack name.

They weren't letting folks play the game last night, but I did go take a look at the brief demo and saw that, despite the incredibly similar visual styles, Ex-Patriot is not a Shadow Complex clone. The biggest difference is that Rush'N Attack sounds like it's a much more straightforward game. It's not about collecting items that grant you access to other areas of the "complex" that you weren't able to access before. It doesn't look like they're working from the same "Metroidvania" blueprint at all. Instead, you'll work your way through three large environments, each of which ends with a boss fight. The game will have a stealth slant to it, meaning there are alarms that you can trip if you aren't careful. If and when you set off an alarm, walls slam down on either side of you and you'll have to fight a rushing force before you can proceed. EMP grenades are one of the ways you can disable alarm systems.

Of course, if you just want to stab fools, you can just charge through and set off as many alarms as you like. As you play, you'll level up, which will unlock additional knife combos. While you'll find weapons along the way, they work a lot like they did in the original Rush'N Attack. You can only fire them forward, and they have a very limited amount of ammo. So if you find a rocket launcher, you'll get three shots off and then toss it aside. As you play, you'll earn points and raise your multipliers by knifing a lot of guys. You'll also get more points for finishing a stage quickly. Online leaderboards will track your progress there and let you compare it against others, obviously.

So... yeah, it sure does look like Shadow Complex. But it's definitely sounding like more action than adventure, with just enough of the ideas from the original Rush'N Attack to set it apart. Could be cool.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Damn. I want more Metroidvania style action on my consoles. You got my click by using Shadow Complex in the title.

The action looks good though. Makes me think back to that Strider remake that came out after SOTN on PS1 and how I was hoping that too would be a Metroidvania styled game.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Oginam

So when do we get to start calling it the Complex Metrovania style?

Trejik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Trejik

Freaky. I totally want more Metroidvania in my life.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I want more Metroid-style video games as well. Makes you think: GTA-clone, Doom-clone, and yet no Metroid-clone.

Avatar image for somethingclever
    SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomethingClever

It looks like something I could enjoy playing and Rush'N Attack was a game I remember fondly (hell, I 'borrowed' the NES cart from a 'friend' the day before I moved 3 states away).  Even with only that trailer and those brief words about a little hands off demo I'm pretty much already committed to buying it.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By skrutop

Hey, they made another Shadow Complex?

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By solidejake

Did anyone ever complain that Shadow Complex tries extremely hard to be Uncharted?

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By PLWolf

Now I just want another Shadow Complex. :(

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Oginam said:
    " So when do we get to start calling it the Complex Metrovania style? "
    When Shadow Complex proves it's not a one hit wonder. It has no legacy of its own more than a year back.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sickVisionz

I like beat em ups.  Hopefully the moveset is at least as deep as Streets of Rage 3.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bionicicide

That reminds me, I still need to finish Shadow Complex.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Alphazero

The guys at Chair said they wanted more people to make games like that so they could play them... they got their wish.

Man, I love Shadow Complex... minus some unmarked doors on the map issues. 

I'm sorry Shadow Complex. I can't stay mad at you. C'mere.

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

I'd rather not havea  Metroidvania Rush'n Attack. As long as I get to run-and-knife fools, I'll be happy. All thrills, no frills.

JTVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JTVIII

The only thing I remember about Rush'N Attack, was that my cartridge was the first in my collection to be fouled up and require ALOT of cleaning ... Must be that I didn't play it much.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The more times I read comments on this site the more I realize people don't read articles.

EJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By EJ

does anyone else have the old video player for this page? maybe my computer's just scared and confused

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By superjoe

Rush N Attack has the most berets of any franchise.

Avatar image for somethingclever
    SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SomethingClever
    @Rmack: Hell, it seems people generally don't read anything these days.  I tend to imagine a bunch of people out wandering around shouting nonsense so as to avoid having to actually think about anything (and yeah that is a pretty weak reference to a Hitchhikers Guide bit).
    TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#20  Edited By TobyD81  Online

Hmm, I always like seeing side-scrollers get some love in these high-fidelity times...but Rush N' Attack? I played the XBLA release and it felt like Contra, but way clunkier and not fun.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This looks right up my alley. I've actually never played the original Rush N' Attack, I should probably give that a shot sometime.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rinkalicous

Watching that video makes me want to play Shadow Complex again. 

I almost wish I hadn't played that game 5 times through in the first week, so that I could enjoy some of it now.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Milkman

If it's not about exploring, then that makes this even more unremarkable, considering exploration was the best thing about Shadow Complex.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jeff:   Not only does it look and play like Shadow Complex, but looks crappy and almost entirely misses the point of Rush 'N Attack which has already been an XBLA game with slightly modernised gfx and sound but still close to the original arcade game.  This looks awful.
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shotaro

That game just plain looks bad.  I dunno whether its the fact that the "lo-tech" trailer just looks cheap or the fact that the characters name is on the health bar, but it just looks janky

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilDingo

I believe I know the original "Rush'N Attack" as "Green Beret".

I'm not above stabbing fools, but a Shadow Complex clone would probably be more appealing to me.

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By samsaturday

I'd rather play Shadow Complex 2.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Supermarius
    @Oginam said:
    hopefully never. Eventually we should come up with a name that doesnt reference any specific series. Like how fps'es were originally called "Doom Clones"
    Wugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wugga

They also made it really shadowy. Coincidence?

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ocdog45

never played shadow complex so i will get this one.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By Crono
    @ocdog45 said:
    " never played shadow complex so i will get this one. "
    You should get Shadow Complex too if you can.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'm intrigued, will probably check this out; hooray for more 2D/2.5D in our lives!

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oginam
    @Supermarius said:
    " @Oginam said:
    hopefully never. Eventually we should come up with a name that doesnt reference any specific series. Like how fps'es were originally called "Doom Clones" "
    Good point, that reminded me of how every fps is now compared to Halo or CoD/MW. Not a trend I want to endorse, my bad.

Best I could come up with was 3rd person Gridscapes...ugh.
    gardless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gardless

Music is nice.

Jackal888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Jackal888

Looks like I will be stabbin' fools this fall. Never got to to play Shadow Complex.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By ProjektGill
    @Fontelroy said:
    " does anyone else have the old video player for this page? "  
     Yea I saw that the old volume changer was back then I realized oh snap, its the old player.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Alphazero 
     said:

" The guys at Chair said they wanted more people to make games like that so they could play them... they got their wish.  "

Except that they haven't. 

This game is nothing like Shadow Complex other than bring reminiscent of a NES side-scrolling action game (which Shadow Complex was MORE than -- see Metroidvania concept page). People that refer to this as Shadow-Complex-like must not have played action games back in the NES era. Metroidvania is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than straight up action, like what this game is.

@Crono

said:

" @ocdog45 said:

" never played shadow complex so i will get this one. "

You should get Shadow Complex too if you can. "
    Agreed. These two games have nothing in common other than the camera perspective and character sizes. The genre is totally different with exception to the fact that Metroidvania contains action, but hardly ever vice-versa.

@Supermarius

said:

" @Oginam said:

hopefully never. Eventually we should come up with a name that doesnt reference any specific series. Like how fps'es were originally called "Doom Clones" "
    Well Doom was the first mass market FPS, unlike Shadow Complex. Metroid and Castlevania (mainly SOTN) were the pioneers in their genre. There's no reason to add "complex" to the genre title other than to appease new fly-by-night gamers.

Anybody play the original Rush'N 'Attack? How about the original Metroid? Can anybody list more than 5 ways how they are similar in regards to gameplay? Didn't think so.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By leburgan

The original Rush N' Attack sucked, not sure why this franchise warrants a revisit

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#39  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Fontelroy said:
    " does anyone else have the old video player for this page? maybe my computer's just scared and confused "
    The Insert Video feature doesn't seem to have been updated for the new video player. It inserts the old player instead of the newer Flowplayer one.
    steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By steevl

Heh, I loved Rush N' Attack on the NES for some reason.  It has pretty good music, like most Konami titles of that era. Hopefully this turns out all right.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @Fontelroy said:
    " does anyone else have the old video player for this page? maybe my computer's just scared and confused "
    The Insert Video feature doesn't seem to have been updated for the new video player. It inserts the old player instead of the newer Flowplayer one. "
    It uses the new player on the Crysis 2 preview article.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#42  Edited By LordAndrew
    @MrKlorox: It's certainly possible to insert Flowplayer videos; just not with the Insert Video button.

HaterGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By HaterGamer

This game looks amazing. I love how Konami is bringing back all it's old video game characters. They just might dethrone Capcom for my favorite video game company.

Reetesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Reetesh

THe music from NES RushNAttack is one of the most memorable VGMs I've ever heard (Had it as a ringtone for a very long time too :P )  I was expecting that the trailer would have a remix of it, or atleast a small sample from the original, but there was none :(  Oh well... I hope the music is just as good and does the character die the same way? Knee down and shouting in pain?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By Skald

God I love Rush'n Attack. And for that matter, Shadow Complex.

Mercurius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By Mercurius

Wow. I never got around to playing Shadow Complex, but even I can tell that this game is almost a carbon copy of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Phunk_King:  Even if it's weak, it shows you read something! Look at the post above me! Jesus! Ahg! Noises!
    larspsve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By larspsve

Sweet! Looking forward to this. Anyone remember the first one on C64?:D

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Looks awesome, good to see the PS3 logo, that was pretty much the only question I had.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By warchief

more shadow complex now please. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.