Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

FUR - A Ryan Davis Content Library: Seeking feedback and a solicitation for content

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By donatoqueen

Hey Duders,

I plan to start curating a central repository in the form of a website that stores, logs, references, links to and shares material featuring Ryan.

These materials would include all content that is appropriate to be publicly shared or that is already publicly shared in some capacity. The content would not be limited to Giant Bomb and I would be respecting copyright and paywall exclusivity. While that content would be backed up behind the scenes and referenced it would not be shared, only linked to if possible Ala qlcrew. And when I say all, I mean ALL.

Day in and out I wish there was new content featuring Ryan and I am always excited when I am going through a previously unseen UPF, feature, a screenshot of a tweet etc and stumble upon something new to me. I feel this would be a good way for RTD fans to help fill the void he left while thoroughly documenting and preserving his amazing legacy. Also during this process some no longer available or unseen material might come to light which could be a bonus.

To assist with this I would like to have input from people about this and to see if others feel this would be a worthwhile endeavour. I would also like to connect with people who are able and willing to contribute unique content e.g. source images, non-transcoded videos and other lost or previously unshared RTD media.

Unique contributions would be credited where applicable.

While I plan to scour the net far and wide for content I am sure there is a good deal that is locally stored but no longer available online or even content that was never made available.

I know we will never be able to fill the void but this seems like a good way to make it more bearable and to have some uncontrollable laughs while doing so.

Looking forward to reading your feedback and connecting with those wanting to contribute.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also realise this will be a huge project but it’s the least I can do for Ryan. I’ll start logging my progress and arranging/advertising upload facilities shortly.

primeate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one definitely always enjoy going through backlog content and watching vids with him in it. The building a bomb series took me back and started me on a vintage videos path. I would love to see more content he was in and I know will discover new stuff. So in short, yes I believe this is worthwhile.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Gordy

Have you seen www.qlcrew.com ?

edit: I am a total doofus.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordy: Yes, I mentioned it in my post however their coverage isn't perfect in re to people being tagged. Despite it being a good place to start content will need to manually be reviewed.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

I have arranged for a Professional Drop Box account where I will be storing all content in regards to this project and I will be giving out these details in about half a days time. I plan to start backing up the "easy" stuff first; mirroring web-pages, downloading images and other miscellaneous content today. This will be uploaded to the dropbox as read only allowing those who want to contribute to be able to check if their content or content they are willing to contribute has already been backed up.

Anyone who has any source images or misc files would be greatly appreciated at this stage as well as some of the images etc online have been down sampled. While the location will be open for all content I really want to try to focus on certain category's at a time.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

If anyone can contribute please provide me with you email addresses via DM so I can add you to the drop box.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primeate: I agree and think if this is done well enough and maintained some new and lost content will be made available.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

Dropbox showcase is "up" albeit it without any content yet and accessible via this link. This link is only going to be useful for viewing content when it has been sorted etc. and then shared. As previously mentioned if you would like to be part of the curation process please DM me.

Viewing Content (Read-only, please request a link to the upload folders if you are looking to contribute)

Images: Raw Dump of Images done so far can be seen at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8387ibxvugguay4/AAAvVNwDcS7SoeZOHXQ95fU5a?dl=0

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By donatoqueen
    donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

So far I am at just over 700+ Images and will be moving onto captured livestreams from Giant Bomb Unarchived who has generously said I can mirror all of their RTD content. Unfortunately however they no longer have the source files.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

The backing up continues. Still working my way through Giant Bomb Unarchived.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

Giant Bomb Unarchived has been finished.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

Working my way through Giant Bomb. One video at a time, anything with even a brief appearance by Ryan, even him heckling off camera, is being included.

This is going to take awhile!

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

After sorting through Giant Bomb's videos and only backing ones that featured Ryan this started to seem like a waste, so, things have changed for this part of the project. Going forward I will be backing up all Giant Bomb video content from the site and just filing the Ryan ones away on their own as they come down.

This will take awhile...I am trying to do about 1-3 pages per day however I will try to step it up a bit.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

Things have been progressing alone relatively smoothly however I have run into Giant Bomb limiting the amount of downloads per day so this part of the project is going to roughly take 150 days to complete.

In the meantime I am moving onto older Gamespot content however, and very unfortunately, most of this older stuff is now inaccessible and not online anymore so I am going to have to track down as much as I can find on YouTube.

If anyone out there has access to or backups of old GameSpot content and they would like to contribute it would be great if you could reach out to me either via this thread or DM

I can provide you with a Dropbox link to easily drop everything you have into.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By donatoqueen

Update:

I have backed up videos up to and including page 294 on Gianb Bomb (working reverse chronologically).

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Keep up the great work!

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By donatoqueen

Thanks!

I am hoping to reach a point in the next month or two where the amount of content archived will attract other people to contribute and also attract more attention.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

Up to page 270 on Giant Bomb. A fractured hip and moving interstate means I can only devote a small amount of time each today to this project however things are progressing along. Approximately 1673 videos that have Ryan in them have been backed up so far (this includes YouTube).

If anyone can provide direct links to content or playlists of content from GameSpot and other avenues where Ryan has appeared it would be appreciated as even with my split focus I am constrained by the limits Giant Bomb places on downloads.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

Up to page 254.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

Up to page 234.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

Sorry about the lack of updates. Moving interstate, fractured hip, needing to arrange a new internet connection, shipping my main PC and a few other things got in the way.

Last time I was downloading I had made it to page 213. I will try to start catching up tomorrow.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Duing the early days of GB, Jeff and Ryan would drive to work together and occasionally stream the trip on services like Ustream and Justin.tv like Jeff now does on Mixlr. Sadly, unless someone thought to make backups of these at the time, I think they're lost to time. Not much help to you I guess, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackLagoon A fair number of these were uploaded to Giant Bomb Unarchived on Youtube, or are you referring to ones that are not on the channel?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@donatoqueen: Hmm, I haven't really gone through Unarchived in a good while, so I'd have to check there. The ones that really stick out in my mind were when they opened a Spotify playlist for the internet to mess with, and ended up with bangers like an accordion rendition of Toto's Africa.

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, that mans ability. Every minute, on any type of camera; compellovision.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.