Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Just text my Boss saying I'm not coming in....

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Red12b

I'm sitting here at 6:30 am, Tuesday morning, in front of my computer screen,

I'd normally be out the door by 6.. 6:10 at the latest, one check of chrome to see what's happened as I was in slumber, The tabs that auto open are first, Giant Bomb, second, Facebook, and third hotmail,

Giant Bomb didn't load this morning,

I never met the man, not in person, but in spirit, in spirit, most definitely,

This man has given me so much joy, his laughter buoyed me up when I needed it, and I was oh so looking forward to finally meeting him at PAX next week, Now, I'll be saluting to his loss.

To all the WM team, to his widow, Anna, I am so, so sorry for your loss.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Waking up to bad news is always the worst. You're at your most vulnerable, and unable to properly cope with the gravity of sudden change. No matter what situation we were in when we heard the news it hit us all hard. I feel for you man, the GB community is a true family today. RIP Ryan.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red12b:

If I was at work or going to work and got this news. I would certianly have to just call everything off...I have been a mess. I dont blame you man.

I am now a while after the shock...I sort of wish I had work to get my mind off it.

You definatly need to grieve cos while we didnt "Know" Ryan we knew Ryan! and we loved him.

Such lose to everyone that knew him even lightly.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Its 12 at night here now and I dunno whether to go to sleep or not. I have to go to work tomo as well. The worst thing is I have no one in my "real" life to share this with. I don't know what the next few days are gonna be like.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm supposed to wake up tomorrow at 6 AM. It's getting late here.

I can't handle this. Can't even begin to imagine what people that knew him feel like.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Right there with yah with the work thing cept for with college homework, I have 5 assignments due tomorrow and I can't find the will to do them now...we'll make it through this though just gotta remember the good times...

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I'm currently at work. Just saw the news maybe an hour ago. Am probably gonna have to leave a bit early. Been a giant bomb user since 09, I have spent countless hours listening to podcasts and watching content. This hit hard.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just don't believe for a second that he's dead. Call me insensitive, but read the staff's twitters from July 3 until today. Unless they just found out, they've been grilling up a storm for the 4th of july, tweeting about classic games, and making acerbic jokes. There's not a bit of "I can't believe this" or anything like that. And how Rorie doesn't mention HOW he died?

I just don't believe it. I was around for when Jeff got fired from Gamespot, and THAT was more like someone died than this is...

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Came off a six days straight of working my frustrating job, can't imagine how I would be if I heard about his passing on like the second day.

deerpoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lost my dad not 2 weeks ago, looking at him and Ryan I realize how similar the two are, large with black hair, bearded, but not just physically, they both had this infectious energy, always laughed the loudest and despite being a bit cutting with there words you never could be mad at them, because it wasn't hurtful, it was a way to let people know they were part of the group.

Giantbomb has been a part of my life since 2008, it got me through highschool and Ryan Davis was at the head of that, he was the one leading the bombcast and he will be sorely missed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@deerpoob: Really sorry man. My condolences to you for your Dad.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By kagato

Ive been here since the very beginning and before then, Gamespot, following Jeff and Ryan kept me informed, entertained and happy. I came home from work today to find possibly the most devastating news ill get this year, that Ryan was no longer with us. At first i didnt think it was real, surely someone had just hacked the giantbomb facebook account? Then i couldnt get onto the site, panic hit me, i went straight to GAF and saw the story reprinted there, had i been at work at that point i would have had to leave.

I know whatever im feeling right now is nothing compared to what his friends and family are feeling, but honestly im barely keeping it together right now. A little bit of Ryan will live on in all of us, i know that much for sure, the pain will pass and we will remember him fondly, but for now i dont have enough tears for how aweful this all feels right now. RIP Ryan Davis, you will be sorely missed.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Its 12 at night here now and I dunno whether to go to sleep or not. I have to go to work tomo as well. The worst thing is I have no one in my "real" life to share this with. I don't know what the next few days are gonna be like.

Same here, everyone's been noticing something is bugging me and when i tell them why i can tell they sympathize but don't truly get how much the duder meant to me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazgalaxy: He was on his honeymoon. It wouldn't be unusual for the news to take awhile to reach the crew. Especially since we don't know the circumstances of how it happened.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

As hard as it is, I think everyone should go to school/work. Get your mind off it. Even a half day if you can. Sitting at home thinking about it hurts even more. I know this. :(

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I am so glad I am a lazy piece of garbage with nothing in her life because I would be a wreck

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As hard as it is, I think everyone should go to school/work. Get your mind off it. Even a half day if you can. Sitting at home thinking about it hurts even more. I know this. :(

Working in the same industry in a admittly smaller office and not so well known(more local stuff) this will hang over us at my work for a long time.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It didn't hit me that hard but I can understand. I'm already surprised at the emotions I'm feeling which only surfaced because of a man I never met in my whole life, that's some incredible stuff.

RIP, Ryan...such a goddamn shame.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DeF

@jazgalaxy said:

I just don't believe for a second that he's dead. Call me insensitive, but read the staff's twitters from July 3 until today. Unless they just found out, they've been grilling up a storm for the 4th of july, tweeting about classic games, and making acerbic jokes. There's not a bit of "I can't believe this" or anything like that. And how Rorie doesn't mention HOW he died?

I just don't believe it. I was around for when Jeff got fired from Gamespot, and THAT was more like someone died than this is...

You're still in stage 1. :(

This isn't some thing you casually hint at. This was a deeply personal thing that probably came with the addendum "please don't make this public until X."

It's also not something you joke about. Look at how they all basically stopped tweeting save for some generic tweets a few days after it happened.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

@jazgalaxy said:

This isn't some thing you casually hint at. This was a deeply personal thing that probably came with the addendum "please don't make this public until X."

It's also not something you joke about.

Dave Lang has even said
    "I've been walking around the last couple days beating myself up for having fun...feeling guilty that I wasn't more sad. That is now remedied"
    So something tells me they've all known for a while but (for obvious reason) didn't wanna go public with it the second they knew because, you know, being human beings and all that because the focus shouldn't be "the rest of the world"

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Big group hugs* :(

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished Telltale's The Walking Dead and then I heard this... not a good day....

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

He's gone man. He's gone.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

@jazgalaxy said:

It's also not something you joke about.

Dave Lang has even said

"I've been walking around the last couple days beating myself up for having fun...feeling guilty that I wasn't more sad. That is now remedied"

So something tells me they've all known for a while but (for obvious reason) didn't wanna go public with it the second they knew because, you know, being human beings and all that because the focus shouldn't be "the rest of the world"

I agree, I think they have known about it for at leas the weekend. They haven't been back to the office since the 3rd until today, so i think they have had a few days to grief. Which is why I think they may do a bombcast tomorrow. I too thought it was a joke. I was like, he's married now, his life is over with. But now you face the reality that's it's real.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.