Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Ryan Davis's Father Confirms what happened to Ryan.

• 182 results
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

UPDATE = Ryan's dad all but confirms its sleep apnea

https://twitter.com/mauleace/statuses/355318614804537344

i take NO solace or NO satisfaction that i was right on my Assumption (key word, assumption, as some of you all took my assumption as fact)

but you know what, its damm respectable that ryan just lived life to the fullest even with the sleep apnea.

but i really do wished he was a lot more open about it though, i really would have prepared a care package for him to help fight it (and im sure i wouldnt be the only one)

old message below

for those looking for some closure, here you go, thats the definitive word. Mr Davis is a strong man for coming out and saying that.

its most likely sleep apnea, ryan used to talk about on twitter how much trouble he had with sleeping and how he used what they call a cpap machine

https://twitter.com/taswell/status/312932763512758272

https://twitter.com/taswell/status/314503621591040000

https://twitter.com/GameOnGreggy/status/314509148723232768

and the last tweets he had were talking about how he slept very little.

https://twitter.com/taswell/status/352413837326163968

coupled that with the heatwave in california and how he lived life to the fullest during his wedding week, and you got your closure.

here's a point of reference for you folks that dont know what sleep apnea is to read up.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-apnea/sleep-apnea

please dont turn this into something weird folks please dont, im not here putting pieces together to fuel conspiracy gossip or something equally fucking petty, but rather to form a sense of closure as just like you all here, the news hit me extremely hard just like the rest of you. it felt like we lost a good friend, and id like to get my own form of closure no matter if im completely right or completely wrong.

i completely understand folks that are uneasy, and i agree with folks that say we are not entitled to know as we have rightfully no say ,

but there are people here that do appreciate the closure that we can form from the information that's out there, please respect the entitlement we do have to do our own research and make our conclusions based of rightfully ambiguous statements we have.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

@mrfluke said:

https://twitter.com/mauleace/status/354670807546462209

‏@mauleace

Ryan passed away peacefully at his home of natural causes.

for those looking for some closure, here you go. Mr Davis is a strong man for coming out and saying that.

This is probably all anyone will get, so maybe leave it at that. (not directed to the op, just in general)

Also, was it Ryan saying he wanted to die doing something he hated, or someone else. I cant remember? But This is good to hear that it was not a 'complex' issue, such as a car a car crash, nor drawn out, over a long period of time.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

it's good to know

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I suppose that was obvious, but good to know.

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks for everyone, but think about it. He died after one of the greatest weeks of his life. If it gives any solace to anyone.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@animasta said:

it's good to know

you're good to know

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I hope he (and everybody else) leaves it at that.

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't wanna cry again.

And there it goes. :'(

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrfluke

@dagbiker said:

@mrfluke said:

‏@mauleace

for those looking for some closure, here you go. Mr Davis is a strong man for coming out and saying that.

This is probably all anyone will get, so maybe leave it at that. (not directed to the op, just in general)

Also, was it Ryan saying he wanted to die doing something he hated, or someone else. I cant remember? But This is good to hear that it was not a 'complex' issue, such as a car a car crash, nor drawn out, over a long period of time.

what im wagering what happened is that it was sleep apnea. ryan talked about on twitter how much trouble he had sleeping for years and how he had sleep apnea.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

I was thinking of making a Persona 3 reference in one of these threads, but thought it would've been disrespectful. Now, it's just horribly eerie.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrfluke
    Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Not only did he tell us how he died, he told us how Ryan lived.

Those pictures... </3

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never drink a stranger's breast milk.

That was the first attempt at a joke I've had since this happened, sorry. :(

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By devilzrule27

@mrfluke said:

@dagbiker said:

@mrfluke said:

‏@mauleace

what im wagering what happened is that it was sleep apnea. ryan talked about on twitter how much trouble he had sleeping for years and how he had sleep apnea.

I feel like an ass for speculating but it seems likely. Sleep apnea is no joke. I've had the issue my whole life.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@dagbiker said:

@mrfluke said:

‏@mauleace

I feel like an ass for speculating but it seems likely. Sleep apnea is no joke. I've had the issue my whole life.

i look at it more that users want to get some closure, as to many here, ryan was a friend. its natural you'd want to get some closure on someone you cared about. least thats how i look at it.

but yea sleep apnea is fucked, sorry to hear you have it also. have you tried supplements like valerian root, or exercise, or those strips you put on your nose?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am perfectly fine with the reason given by the family, as I was perfectly fine if no reason was given.

We are allowed to ask about how it happened, but we are not entitled to know how it happened. That is a decision for the family, and the family alone.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lexus2jz

He was being treated for his sleep apnea so I doubt it was that. Then again maybe he was not wearing his cpap. Also you don't really die of natural causes at 34.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't really think you can die at 34 from natural causes. With that said I respect the family decision not to disclose more details and in the end it doesn't really matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Last week I set up an appointment with an ear, nose and throat guy over an issue that has given me cluster headaches and sleep apnea for what I guess are years. Maybe it was a better idea than I thought.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I know it doesn't help but this doesn't make me feel better. How can anyone feel better? Ryan was just 34 years old. Just got married. Died of natural causes is something I expect to see on someone who is 75+. I guess I feel frustrated more than anything because there doesn't seem to be anything natural about having someone who gave so much and had a whole lifetime to look forward to, just be taken from his family. Fuck you nature.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrfluke

@lexus2jz: as someone who follows ryan on twitter ( you can even dig back enough in his twitter. and see for yourself) he said the cpap machine was not working anymore for him, said it provided great relief in the beginning and didnt work after that.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Guys, it still hasn't hit me.

I mean, I know what happened. I can think about it perfectly clearly in abstract terms. But it's like I've kept myself from fully acknowledging the truth. Yesterday and today I've read hundreds of amazing tributes, but I feel weirdly detached.

I'm sure that sometime in the upcoming week it'll hit me like a ton of bricks. I both dread and welcome that moment.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's totally understandable for people to want to speculate about how and why. We're all trying to make sense of this, and we're looking for some answer that might satisfy us. The truth is, nothing's going to really be satisfactory, but I am glad that Richard was willing to come out and give us a small answer. I respect him greatly for doing so, because I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to do that, and I hope everyone keeps that in mind and is respectful of all this, and of everyone else here. @drdarkstryfe summed it up perfectly.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Mushir

I don't want to speculate too much, but sleep apnea seems quite likely. This is from Wikipedia:

Individuals with low muscle tone and soft tissue around the airway (e.g., because of obesity) and structural features that give rise to a narrowed airway are at high risk for obstructive sleep apnea

We all know that Ryan was a big guy, and I was always worried that his weight would someday cause him harm. I hope I don't seem like an ass. I loved the guy.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: I don't follow him that closely on twitter, but I believe you. Was it just not helping or did he stop wearing it. As someone who also wears a cpap you should take your sd card in to make sure the setting is still high enough if you experience it losing its effectiveness.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan made that last tweet the day he died. :'( How ironic and tragic.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's totally understandable for people to want to speculate about how and why. We're all trying to make sense of this, and we're looking for some answer that might satisfy us. The truth is, nothing's going to really be satisfactory, but I am glad that Richard was willing to come out and give us a small answer. I respect him greatly for doing so, because I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to do that, and I hope everyone keeps that in mind and is respectful of all this, and of everyone else here. @drdarkstryfe summed it up perfectly.

i hope i dont sound like an ass here, but i agree with you that we outsiders are not entitled to know his death, but whatever details we can get though, it is appreciated because of the closure it provides. (closure doesnt = satisfaction, but it still = closure.)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mrfluke: Ryan did those sleep studies a few months back.

Weird_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard of folks mentioning pictures and such on twitter. Are they tagged with a hashtag at all much like a twitter version of people's fond memories of him?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lexus2jz said:

@mrfluke: I don't follow him that closely on twitter, but I believe you. Was it just not helping or did he stop wearing it. As someone who also wears a cpap you should take your sd card in to make sure the setting is still high enough if you experience it losing its effectiveness.

sadly i dont remember the specifics on why the cpap didn't work for him.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#31  Edited By Slag

I guess I'm glad it's out there so that people will hopefully stop asking questions about it.

Let's not add to his loved ones' woes.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrfluke

@humanity: yea right before pax east he got his cpap machine, and said how much it helped him, and directly talked about on twitter how he had sleep apnea, he said later though how the cpap stopped being useful though, id have to dig back in his twitter backlog for specifics.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By oraknabo

Wanting to know isn't just for closure & gossip. People also want to know when things like this happen to young people because they want to know how they could prevent it from happening to themselves or their own family & friends.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akyho

I guessed as much. The last thing his Wife Anna tweeted on the same day of his death was "sending my brother to wake @Taswell up".......guessed he just never woke up.

Be it sleep apnea or not....he just went.

This doesn't actually do anything to help me....its still a simple fact of he is gone.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrfluke

@oraknabo said:

Wanting to know isn't just for closure & gossip. People also want to know when things like this happen to young people because they want to know how they could prevent it from happening to themselves or their own family & friends.

exactly, i have 3 family members with sleep apnea, ryan's case is a horrific reminder that sleep apnea is very lethal and should not be underestimated. and im going to do some extra research on sleep apnea now.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm thin and have had weird breathing stuff at night when on my back. If he was on his back with no cpap and no one to shake him awake...life is fragile.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember this tweet from a while ago and remember getting pretty worried then.

Certainly strengthens the theory regarding his passing being caused by sleep apnea.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elixirbronze: thanks for finding that tweet, gonna add it to the OP.

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By andymp

I'm a little uneasy about this conversation. I'd have been happy to know that he simply didn't suffer, assuming that's the case here. Beyond that, just let him rest in peace.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andymp: he didn't suffer, you need to relax i absolutely get where your coming from with how your uneasy,

but he lived to the fullest.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By artelinarose

I thought about that yesterday. It was a little morbid to dwell on, but I'm glad it was easy for him. When the time comes, I think the most any of us can really ask for is a death that we don't even register as occurring.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mrfluke

please folks, dont turn this into something weird, im not here putting pieces together to fuel conspiracy gossip or something equally fucking petty, but rather to form a sense of closure as just like you all here, the news hit me extremely hard just like the rest of you. it felt like we lost a good friend, and id like to get my own form of closure no matter if im completely right or completely wrong.

i completely understand folks that are uneasy, and i agree with folks that say we are not entitled to know as we have rightfully no say ,

but there are people here that do appreciate the closure that we can form from the information that's out there, please respect the entitlement we have to do our own research and make our conclusions based of rightfully ambiguous statements we have.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you OP

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@mrfluke said:

@oraknabo said:

exactly, i have 3 family members with sleep apnea, ryan's case is a horrific reminder that sleep apnea is very lethal and should not be underestimated. and im going to do some extra research on sleep apnea now.

Yeah, my dad has it, so this sort of stresses me out a bit. Should give him a call when I get off work.

There was also a tweet on the day he died from his wife: she mentioned sending her brother to wake him up. Such a bummer. At least, we can hope, it was peaceful and painless.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#47  Edited By isomeri

We will know only as much as his family wants the world to know and that is the way it should be. Some of us like myself do gain a certain form of closure from being able to know the circumstances of someones passing. Taking into account his medical condition, the timing of his death as well as his size we can all put some pieces together in our heads.

He was clearly a man who knew how to enjoy life and he made sure to enjoy it all the way to a peaceful end.

DustoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I suffer from this as well. Been sleeping with a CPAP machine for a couple years now. While losing weight is probably the best solution, the CPAP will at least make it so you can get enough good sleep so you're not falling asleep during the day. I have had a couple nights where my mask gets knocked out of wack and I'll stop breathing. Usually wake up with a really bad headache from the lack of oxygen. It's very possible that between the hot weather and the newness of wearing a mask something might have happened while he was asleep. I don't know....

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This scares the shit out of me because I had a sleep test done about 4 years ago. The doctor told me (24 at the time) that my blood oxygen was so low that I could have cardiovascular problems and die in my early 30's. The same thing happened to me that apparently happened to Ryan. My god forsaken cpap machine lost its effectiveness over a couple of months. I ended up having to get my jaw busted and realigned and that was one of the things they fixed for me (along with a fixed bite). It's a hard couple of months recovering from the surgery with your jaw wired shut, but I'd recommend it if it's an option for you.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#50  Edited By Lelcar

Reading those tweets in the OP is the most tragic thing I've ever read.

Rest in peace, Ryan. We love you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.