Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

@taswell no more

• 57 results
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#1  Edited By Brackynews

(Had a hard time deciding which forum to use, so here we go.)

So as @mrpope took notice of today, it seems that @taswell's account has hit the Twitter inactivity period and is now "offline" for lack of a better term.

Obviously this suddenly happening so close to the anniversary date of Ryan's birthday, marriage, and tragic loss is likely to hit his friends and loved ones extra hard. (I was just looking at it last week.) But I think there is one thing to be considered here above all else:

1) What are the wishes of his family, and respecting those wishes. Did they ultimately request it be taken offline, or do they want the attention that a sudden groundswell to "preserve" his account for posterity will bring?

Now before you jump out of your chair to seek out archive.org or the Library of Congress twitter archive (still in limbo btw), I think it is a fair assumption that whomever had control of his account after his passing would've ended up saving a tweet archive. So that could sort itself out in a way the community would immediately be concerned that it does.

At this moment, as just another guy who happened to once be standing about 10 feet away from Ryan, my thought now as it was then is: "just be cool".

And Love Ryan Davis.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Someone get on making a love Ryan Davis shirt.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

A guy I knew was killed in a car accident at just 18 a few years ago and people still post on his facebook wall on his birthday. It's weird and sad and honestly quite uncomfortable because I never really knew him but the predictable nature of it always gets a response out of me.

Letting go is going to be a lot harder for people now our lives can never truly be erased from a globally accessible place.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ravelle

Ryan's Summer Jam spotify list is still being updated and listened to by someone.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ravelle: I believe his wife took on the account after he passed. I've also followed along and sometimes the song choices popping up in my ticker catch my attention.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Seems like in activity is 6 months so they most have had permission to keep it up and decided to take it down finally. Honestly it was time, hopefully his tweets were archived by somebody but i've never been a fan of posthumous accounts being kept online. I"ve seen a few facebook pages of people who passed ran by family, and it's real wierd seeing them post and like pics etc. Never had a twitter so no clue who often it happens on there.

R.I.P big homie , still watch the occasional quick look and ER and laugh my ass off. Never forgotten

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shrine accounts are still a strange form of memorial for many.. I am not comfortable at all with the idea of family members etc maintaining them after my demise. There are so many grey areas relating to this.

If his family or friends have decided this move, so be it.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It would be nice if his account as it existed could be enshrined in some way. It's beautiful that as long as this site is up his face will never disappear from it, but preserving his presence elsewhere as a memorial seems...important? I'm not saying accounts of the deceased should remain active forever, but some kind of alternative way of hosting that might be good.

Again, wishes of the family and all that...but I miss him and would read through his Twitter sometimes ;(

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spotted this a few mins ago. It's really unfortunate timing for this to happen now. Is this 6 month thing in the policy new? The lack of frequent activity from whomever was maintaining the account was never an issue before.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed that his gamertag seems to be owned by someone else now.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

This is sad and stinks but...apart of moving on? Sucks it's been 3 years but I've made tributes to the great man in my own way. Don't matter what Twitter says but taswell will always be the first person I followed, the person I made a Twitter account to follow and the first person outside my circle to respond to me and have a small conversation with, I will never forget that.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#14 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@nightriff: Same, he and Jeff were the first and second twitter accounts I followed. @taswell will always exist to me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

:( I just visited his account a few days ago too. Still miss ya Ryan. <3 Rip

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

:'( That's a bummer.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93

Weird. I know of twitter accounts that have been inactive for longer and are still up, i.e. https://twitter.com/CapitalSTEEZ_

There was a twitter engineer talking to Pope. He might be able to do something about it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea....that really sucks and is a bit of a gut punch, but what can we do? his legacy is still in the hours of hours of videos and audio here on the site, so ill cheers to that

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

On one level, fuck this. On the other level, Ryan's legacy is firmly cemented in the thousands of hours of content on the site with him hosting pretty much everything. The big man won't be forgotten!

RIP Ryan, we all love you.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It still hits me when I go to look at a quick look or something of an old game and see Ryan. For some reason his death hit me harder than any other non family member. Last year when I got married I was seriously afraid I was going to die on my wedding night.

I hope we don't lose any more of the GB crew anytime soon. RIP Ryan.

As for social media I think maybe Facebook, Twitter and such should have a special site for people who have passed on, but trolls would use it to post fake celebrity accounts and use it for other mean purposes.

BostonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BostonJohn

I just logged in to say i noticed many quick looks are now private or gone, like 2-3 year gap on the Youtube channel. Cant find his old quick looks but can still see stuff from like 7 years ago. i know this might sound strange but idc.. i watch 1, at the very least. video with Ryan in it every night. Has become somewhat of a tradition for me since he passed. Im glad his videos remain here and hope they dont go anywhere..While hes alive in spirit it just made me feel like in some ways he never left and thats gone :(

Please tweet me @v1boston if anyone gets more info. I respect the family and very sad for them and I understand loss on a level i would not wish on my worst enemy so if this is something they wish to do for personal reasons i totally respect it but Ryan was a special person that many people love and are inspired by until this very day and just hope maybe they let him live on in a way that will continue to inspire those who never had the honor of knowing, seeing or meeting him. The videos not being on YT imo limits such for those who never did know him in any way shape or form.

Im sorry if im coming off selfish in any way, i dont mean to be.

Maybe something is wrong on my end in regards to youtubebut again cant find any of Ryans Quick looks on the official GB channel..

I hope GBU archived them. im so sad right now :(

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bostonjohn: QL Crew is always the best way to go through old GB stuff. You can even search for Ryan. If you want to only use Youtube I'm not sure but this is way better to me.

BostonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: Im glad those quick looks are still here but for some reason cant find them on the YT channel, maybe something is wrong on my end but see quite a few private or deleted videos etc now instead of those videos.

In any event i hope someone will start archiving his videos just in case, someone that has permission that is. ie GBU

BostonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BostonJohn

@artisanbreads: In terms of trying to make due with the quality i have better tools at my disposal when using youtube but im just glad they still exist and have no problem what so ever watching them here.. Just was a stern wake up call in respect to "here today gone tomorrow" and just like that the videos are not to be found and really hope it doesnt happen here as well. First thing i thought was there must be a reason for it, ii am hoping that reason doesnt spread here if there is one.

Could be a coincidence but i dont think so but what do i know. I just hope someone like GBU will maybe archive them?

Btw thanks for the reply !

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I agree with those on this forum that say that it sucks that Ryan's twitter has been declared offline, but there's nothing you can really do to prevent it from going offline. Also, we still have plenty of content on the site where he was featured. We can always go back to a quick look, bombcast or premium feature where Ryan played a prominent role and his legacy will never be forgotten. RIP Ryan Davis, we still miss you.

Litation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Litation

@impartialgecko said:

A guy I knew was killed in a car accident at just 18 a few years ago and people still post on his facebook wall on his birthday. It's weird and sad and honestly quite uncomfortable because I never really knew him but the predictable nature of it always gets a response out of me.

My other halfs brother died a few years back, of cancer, and the family where not sure what to do with his FB account, I told them to keep it active as there is so much history of him there*, we live in both a shitty (post now and you are guaranteed to regret it at some point) and great time for our lives being recorded, the good is that when my partner and I have kids we can go back and show them parts of their uncles life (if they are interested) which I think is quite cool as someone who also lost an uncle before I was born so I know nothing about him other than the odd story my dad tells me from time to time. I alos tried to do a family tree a while ago and its just a pain, sure you can find out you where related to Bob Smith of TownX but you don't really know anything about them, hopefully in 100 years my great grand kids will see my shit and go, wow great granddad was a tool at times but some of the stuff he did was cool. The fact that Ryan's twitter account was noticed as disappearing is a testament to just how much people like to keep those reminders of those they cared for even if they where not close to them, hell I never met the dude and still shed a tear (or fifty) when I found out about his passing.

*While I know there are archive tools (yes we have archived it just in case) having it as a living breathing place where people still post messages about the good times they had on his birthday can be nice knowing people still care (Some people might find that a little morbid I guess but everyone deals with this shit in a different way)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bostonjohn: If they are really gone I'm sure someone has them downloaded still and can upload them.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bostonjohn: i think these might be of use for you http://qlcrew.com/ a user created this tool a while back where users can filter which quicklooks they wanna see, so you can set it for Ryan's stuff and be set somewhat

and then there's this project a guy did a while back where he did a best of Podcast moments for Giantbomb, and even did a best of for Ryan as well http://www.thisyearcollection.org/

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there had just been retweets earlier this year from that account for his birthday though?

what a shame. everyone should post their screencaps so they can live on forever

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't think Twitter closed the account, talking about it with my wife, she suggested that Anna and/or his family closed the account.

I was in denial that I would think they would close it down and blamed Twitter, when honestly that makes more sense as Anna tweeted from his account at least last year (don't think she did this year though)

If they decided it was time, then it was time and I support them the best I can.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone was using his account to retweet birthday wishes. But we also have hours of Ryan content on this site.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just got sad.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May the summerjams play on.

MarkHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MarkHawk

Want my @ Taswell back. Hoping someone made an archive somewhere or can log in to restore it. I know someone updated it not too long ago to change his picture and post little tributes to him from the account.

<>

BostonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone for your feedback, very awesome of you.

I offer myself and time if anyone wants to put a thing together or help sustain a thing, a thing for Ryan Davis. Ryan has brightened many of my days,some really gloomy fckn days, thats the least i can do.

BostonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BostonJohn

@mrfluke: I will look that up right now.

Please nobody get mad , just speaking from the heart, Ryan was such a big part of GB yet its like in some ways it feels like he never existed..Nothing wrong with a tip of that hat to Ryan every now and then (maybe some sort of legal thing that has an impact), last time they mentioned him was a podcast if i recall..Maybe im being a selfish bastard and sorry if i am but man to me Ryan was beyond special, not often a guy i never knew personally had the ability to make such an impression shows to me anyways how special he was and i just wished he was acknowledged in a more meaningful way. I often thought about making a video at least one on his birthday but didnt want to come off like i was using him as leverage for my channel because thats nasty.

I lost both my parents when i was young, lost my fiance to overdose and man just a lot of loss. I understand loss on a deep level, in ways i wish i didnt and people toss around the words "let go" as if its that simple. All i have left are memories from my parents, kinda forgot what they sounded like etc and there is nothing wrong with keeping them alive in spirit via images or speech. Its painful for me today almost as much as it was when it happened. Its more painful for me that i dont have pictures and things i can actually see, because my memory has faded over the years, more so than anything else. its like something thats out of focus, you know what you are looking at because you recognize it but cant make out much more than that. Hard to put into words. I understand about the family wishes and respect it. I always looked at it like "what would my fiance want" perspective but we all deal with stuff differently.

Please i hope nobody gets offended or takes what i am writing the wrong way, its just how i feel atm thats all.

Im sorry for the big rant, going through a hard time and hope all of you are ok and in good health.

If anyone wants to make a montage 2016 edition or something well i can help edit or do whatever on my end.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let it die...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

We'll always have the laughs -

Loading Video...

Man, 3 years...

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By LonelySpacePanda

E3 2016 coming to an end put me in a bittersweet mood so I went back and watched all the E3 day videos since the start and some of more recent filmed E3 podcasts. It reminded me how good Ryan was at wrangling a large panel. Even a panel of 3 can get away from Jeff but Ryan could somehow keep a panel of 6+ in control. He's also really good at stating his opinion confidently and shooting others down in a joking way without coming across hostile. I don't know how he got to be so good at what he did but it was great to see and revisit. Returning to those old E3 videos is more fun then you may suspect, especially as you feel like an all-knowing time-traveler; totally recommended.

My only hope is that GiantBomb lives on forever. It still makes me sad that the Screened videos (many of which included Ryan) are gone forever. I can't believe no body bothered to archive that stuff, including Rorie and Alex (yes, I know there are some on YouTube but it's a very small amount). When GB inevitably shuts down (when Jeff retires in the distant future, I can't see him passing the site to someone else but who knows), I hope all the videos stay intact online.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@lonelyspacepanda: If GB ever shuts down, I suspect most of the videos will be archived by someone in some fashion - even now, stuff like chats and preshows are archived by fans even if GB themselves don't. It's also fairly easy to keep a local mirror of GB content just in case the worst happens (I've got a 700GB and growing Giant Bomb folder on my NAS...)

BostonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My accounts at home were IP blocked,(including my cousins) immediately after my last comment.

I didnt want to speak my mind in a "public way" so signed in with this on here to voice my feelings via an old G+ account. It didnt help matters :) although its quite possible that there is some sort of 'rogue" bot in play, very possible.

If Not.

I didnt mean any harm, offense or disrespect to anyone. Im only writing this just in case someone replies (i did get messages, thanks btw) and well dont want them to think im being rude.

So just taking a moment while im out to just check in, im kinda sad because atm i dont have access to the Ryan Quick looks.. Sure i will live but yeah it became a nightly ritual for me.

It is what it is, this is not my site and well they have every right to run it as they see fit but unfortunately i just kinda think it stinks but no biggie.

Wont be continuing to beat this drum, will try and check in on this and other Ryan threads from time to time when i can and will be doing it from the sidelines.

love you all, enjoy your day or night.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A sad day indeed.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stordoff said:

@lonelyspacepanda: If GB ever shuts down, I suspect most of the videos will be archived by someone in some fashion - even now, stuff like chats and preshows are archived by fans even if GB themselves don't. It's also fairly easy to keep a local mirror of GB content just in case the worst happens (I've got a 700GB and growing Giant Bomb folder on my NAS...)

Yeah, I have the entirety of Screened backed up on my NAS, including awesome review rips that someone did.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@mirado: Then what the heck are you doing? Upload that to YouTube or a torrent. Would love to rewatch some of those.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SRCruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, does anyone have an archive of the tweets?

Avatar image for deactivated-600fd4c660493
    deactivated-600fd4c660493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going back to old videos podcasts/videos, the change in tone is very jarring. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great site, but things have changed so much since then. I get so nostalgic thinking about the shenanigans and fun they used to have. Since then, the crew has really matured and that's necessary, but I still really miss the old days when they just didn't give a fuck and messed around. There was just a very fun/carefree atmosphere at GB back then. You can still see glimpses of it now, but Ryan's passing really changed the tone in a drastic way.

I wish we could have another day with just the OG crew :'(

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss

I got the only one I need.

Loading Video...

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Dreamfall31

Man, I love randomly looking at his tweet where he ripped the writer of Borderlands 2 a new one!

Sure we have hundreds of hours here of him, but he surely was the king of Twitter! His wife is apart of the twitter convo but her account is blocked to non followers. From what it looks like by people replying her it doesn't seem like it was her.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.