New Ryse video.

• 98 results
#1 Edited by AlexGlass (704 posts) -
#2 Posted by Humanity (16848 posts) -

Parts of that looked impressive graphically but from a gameplay perspective one could hardly stifle a yawn or two.

#3 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

definitely a graphical showcase, i'm very close on preordering. I've played Crysis i know what i'm getting into.

#4 Edited by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

definitely a graphical showcase, i'm very close on preordering. I've played Crysis i know what i'm getting into.

The skin shaders look a lot better since E3 and looks a bit brighter overall, making the shadows appear softer. I actually think this is way more ambitious for them than any of their Crysis or Farcry games. They look to have put a lot of effort into Ryse, especially in the area of animations and motion capture, which is second to none. It's really going to come down to the story and campaign pacing for this game. The fact that it was originally a 360 title and has been in development for awhile hopefully means the game has a lot of depth to it.

#5 Edited by pyrodactyl (3872 posts) -

Yep, really looks like they improved on the visual quality of Crysis while removing any gameplay element that might make me interested in the game. Crytech should hire a game designer or two instead of relying on engineering to make good games.

Also, this looks like an ad for the game instead of a forum post...

#6 Edited by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

I really hope you got paid for this. Those .gifs take some time to make.

#7 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

In a post Pixar world, I really don't get why people get excited over "cinematic graphics" anymore. If you want to see amazing CGI, go see Gravity. Like 90% of that movie is CGI. I got, back in the day, when it was neat to play a game with speech, or FMV in it, because there was a "look what computers can do! Human achievement is awesome!" kind of feeling about it, but in our modern age I feel like that should be old hat by now.

In terms of gameplay Ryse didn't look very interesting at all, to me.

#8 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

mostly likely compiled them from other places, if not they really don't take that long to make.

Bet he is swimming in microsoft points.

#9 Edited by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

@nekroskop said:

GAF probably did. MS must have bought them.

#10 Posted by themangalist (1869 posts) -

They say the weapons, strategy and stuff are highly accurate... Well first, the gladius is for stabbing, not for slashing...

... oh shut up the history nerd inside me. I'm a sucker for anything Roman, I don't mind the generic story, and I absolutely adore the art style of being a cool twist on modern portrayal of the empire. The only thing I can't stand is the slow-mo. Just plain awful.

#11 Posted by Seppli (11232 posts) -

Ryse is right down my alley. If and when I get an Xbox One, that'll be on my list.

#12 Posted by flasaltine (2498 posts) -

I don't see why so many people hate on this game. It actually looks pretty cool. It has great graphics. It has Rome. It has gory combat. It probably wont be as broken as Rome 2. Maybe too many QTE's though.

#13 Edited by Vanick (333 posts) -

It looks impressive visually but I still don't know what to think about this game. I think it could be a fun hack 'n' slash but in the back of my mind I just keep thinking about how this was supposed to be a Kinect game for the 360 and what gameplay they've shown hasn't looked that great. Hopefully it comes out and the combat is kind of like the Batman Arkham games but with swords and a good story.

#14 Posted by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

@nekroskop said:

No, they're Sony employees.

#15 Posted by clarkj1981 (49 posts) -

Looks 50x better than what was shown at E3

#16 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4473 posts) -

Well now all of a sudden I want to get this.. Once the money hole of $600 or so settles out, I'll look into it.

Dat guy.

#17 Edited by Castiel (3369 posts) -

Graphically impressive, but story and gameplay wise it seems pretty generic. It seems like a very exspensive graphics demo.

#18 Posted by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@nekroskop said:

No, they're Sony employees.

Who make Ryse gifs. Makes sense ;)

#19 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

@castiel said:

Graphically impressive, but story and gameplay wise it seems pretty generic. It seems like a very exspensive graphics demo.

I know all these Roman games with their Roman stories

#20 Edited by Jeffsekai (7159 posts) -

I really hope this is good.

#21 Edited by Castiel (3369 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@castiel said:

It seems like the story from Gladiator: Man's family gets brutally killed and now he wants revenge. Throw in some hack n' slash gameplay with a focus on quick time events, if you were to believe the E3 demo, and you're done. Not especially interesting if you ask me, but I'm also not the biggest fan of Gladiator. If the gameplay is more like Batman I might be interested, but if not the story or even impressive visuals is not enough to pique my interest.

Other clever comments?

#22 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

@castiel said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@castiel said:

It seems like the story from Gladiator: Man's family gets brutally killed and now he wants revenge. Throw in some hack n' slash gameplay with a focus on quick time events, if you were to believe the E3 demo, and you're done. Not especially interesting if you ask me, but I'm also not the biggest fan of Gladiator. If the gameplay is more like Batman I might be interested, but if not the story or even impressive visuals is not enough to pique my interest.

Other clever comments?

ARE You not Entertained.

#23 Edited by Castiel (3369 posts) -

@castiel said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@castiel said:

Other clever comments?

ARE You not Entertained.

Well if you put it like that... I guess you're right. I am entertained. Ryse for goty!

#24 Posted by mrfluke (5903 posts) -

always back and forth with this game, played the multiplayer at a convention and it felt like a super slow assassins creed.

but then i see the single player and the story and im intrigued,

#25 Posted by Humanity (16848 posts) -

@castiel said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@castiel said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@castiel said:

Other clever comments?

ARE You not Entertained.

Well if you put it like that... I guess you're right. I am entertained. Ryse for goty!

Heavenly Sword looked pretty entertaining too before launch - that game also had a portly character with a jolly laugh. How far Ninja Theory have come.

#26 Edited by Krullban (1471 posts) -

I'm intrigued because I love the setting and it's something we rarely see in games.

#27 Posted by MacEG (282 posts) -

DAVE LANG IS IN THIS GAME?!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#28 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

Game looks absolutely gorgeous and I love anything that boasts some aspect of history and/or mythology. Truthfully, I am completely aware of what to expect from the gameplay and to be honest, I'm fine with it.

#29 Posted by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

I'm going to call a hit on this one. And mainly based on the animations and characters. MS devs seems to have a knack for developing popular characters in big new IP's like Master Chief in Halo and the Gears of War cast and now Marius Titus in Ryse.

Hoping it does well, because next time I want to see Mark Anthony, Lucious Vorenus and Titus Pullo in Ryse 2.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Damn you HBO. Make it happen Crytek.

#30 Edited by Seppli (11232 posts) -

@flacracker said:

I don't see why so many people hate on this game. It actually looks pretty cool. It has great graphics. It has Rome. It has gory combat. It probably wont be as broken as Rome 2. Maybe too many QTE's though.

People will hate Crytek forever for what they've done to them with Crysis 1. They handed the people the future, and made most of them feel too poor to partake. Now, 7 years later, finally the world at large can catch up with Crytek's vision of 7 years ago. And still they hate them for their arrogance of showing them all up.

All of Crytek's games past Crysis seem generally underrated and unfairly judged to me. At least outside of Germany, which seems to have embraced them for their prowess. Well - they are Sons of Germany after all. I for one have enjoyed all of Crytek's games more than most their competitors.

#31 Posted by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

I don't have a problem with it being historically bullshit because you know, video games, except that they keep going on about how accurate parts of it are. Like how they have brought in experts in Roman warfare etc. None of what I have seen has been anything close to what actual Roman combat was.

Actual Roman combat was in reality quite boring and methodical, basically hide behind your shield until you see an opening and then slice or stab at the enemy's throat or calf, then move forward to the next enemy. Now considering that, I totally get why that would not make a good game but if that is the case then shut up about your game being accurate! And all those fake uniforms and armour with the triangles, god.

That being said, I think it looks really nice, I haven't seen enough gameplay demos for me to know if the gameplay would be as nice as the graphics. Yet to make my mind up on this one.

#32 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

@mrfizzy said:

I don't have a problem with it being historically bullshit because you know, video games, except that they keep going on about how accurate parts of it are. Like how they have brought in experts in Roman warfare etc. None of what I have seen has been anything close to what actual Roman combat was.

Actual Roman combat was in reality quite boring and methodical, basically hide behind your shield until you see an opening and then slice or stab at the enemy's throat or calf, then move forward to the next enemy. Now considering that, I totally get why that would not make a good game but if that is the case then shut up about your game being accurate! And all those fake uniforms and armour with the triangles, god.

That being said, I think it looks really nice, I haven't seen enough gameplay demos for me to know if the gameplay would be as nice as the graphics. Yet to make my mind up on this one.

Check out the interview on Gamespot. They actually talk about diving into the true nature of Roman combat and mentioning how they wanted to keep it realistic but basically stated they mixed up several styles to keep it interesting.

#33 Posted by theveej (944 posts) -

i go back and forth on this. Been reading up on some Roman History and my interest in the game has rysen (I'm so sorry for that, couldn't help) greatly. Game-play looks terrible as QTE are the worst, but hopefully the atmosphere and story turns out to be good. Graphically it is looking super sharp.

Forza is gonna be Forza, but if DR3 and Ryse turn out to be decent, then Xbox One is all of the sudden in a great position as having actual next gen exclusivesat launch that people would want to play.

#34 Edited by Grissefar (2904 posts) -
#35 Posted by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

So what's up man, are you still not getting it day one? It always surprises me when people jizz all over a game but then don't even get it day one.

Tempting but I need Kinect and compute games since those are my main reasons for wanting it. Penciling it in for around Project Spark/ Kinect Sports Rivals release date. The only thing that makes me want to jump in now is KI since I'm afraid I will get owned if I jump in later.

But I'm definitely going to get Ryse no matter when I jump in. Love anything Rome related and I love the way this game looks and feels.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
#36 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

@grissefar said:

So what's up man, are you still not getting it day one? It always surprises me when people jizz all over a game but then don't even get it day one.

Tempting but I need Kinect and compute games since those are my main reasons for wanting it. Penciling it in for around Project Spark/ Kinect Sports Rivals release date. The only thing that makes me want to jump in now is KI since I'm afraid I will get owned if I jump in later.

But I'm definitely going to get Ryse no matter when I jump in. Love anything Rome related and I love the way this game looks and feels.

Havent we been told that this is all ingame.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
#37 Posted by awesomeusername (4612 posts) -

The game is really pretty and I'd play it for 20-30 bucks. But that trailer reminded me so much of God of War's story because wife and daughter are killed, want revenge and the woman that says the title of the game. But anyway, this game is really pretty. I'm going to watch a playthrough on YouTube when it comes out.

#38 Posted by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@grissefar said:

Havent we been told that this is all ingame.

Well all in-engine, since they are cutscenes but yeah, they're all real time and the transitions appear seamless to gameplay.

#39 Edited by Sergio (3560 posts) -

@vanick said:

It looks impressive visually but I still don't know what to think about this game. I think it could be a fun hack 'n' slash but in the back of my mind I just keep thinking about how this was supposed to be a Kinect game for the 360 and what gameplay they've shown hasn't looked that great. Hopefully it comes out and the combat is kind of like the Batman Arkham games but with swords and a good story.

Unless they drastically improved it since the time I played it, the combat pales in comparison to the Batman Arkham games.

#40 Posted by AlexGlass (704 posts) -

For what it's worth, Albert Penello posted this on GAF:

Originally Posted by Albert Penello

You have to remember nobody outside Microsoft has seen this version of the game. Any other people who have played it are referencing the demo we've been showing from E3, Gamescom and PAX. - pre GPU and CPU upgrade. Same goes for any of the Forza footage. That's what's on the betas people have, and that's what's on the tour.

When Phil showed me this trailer a few weeks ago, I was telling him this better be the real thing. I was told directly this was taken from XBO builds, with the exception of unlocking the camera for the battle scenes to make it more dramatic.

So this is the real thing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86495482&postcount=1025

#41 Posted by Humanity (16848 posts) -

@seppli said:

@flacracker said:

People will hate Crytek forever for what they've done to them with Crysis 1. They handed the people the future, and made most of them feel too poor to partake. Now, 7 years later, finally the world at large can catch up with Crytek's vision of 7 years ago. And still they hate them for their arrogance of showing them all up.

All of Crytek's games past Crysis seem generally underrated and unfairly judged to me. At least outside of Germany, which seems to have embraced them for their prowess. Well - they are Sons of Germany after all. I for one have enjoyed all of Crytek's games more than most their competitors.

Crytek games look great, but they're just so dull. I decided to give Crysis 2 a fair shake recently, having received it for free on Steam. I mean yah it looked really good, that initial sub sequence was neat, but then the game was so lackluster after that.

Likewise Ryse looks pretty damn nice, but after games like God of War or Bayonetta have really elevated this genre to new cinematic heights, simply stabbing a dude with a sword just doesn't seem like all that anymore.

#42 Edited by Seppli (11232 posts) -

@humanity said:

@seppli said:

@flacracker said:

Crytek games look great, but they're just so dull. I decided to give Crysis 2 a fair shake recently, having received it for free on Steam. I mean yah it looked really good, that initial sub sequence was neat, but then the game was so lackluster after that.

Likewise Ryse looks pretty damn nice, but after games like God of War or Bayonetta have really elevated this genre to new cinematic heights, simply stabbing a dude with a sword just doesn't seem like all that anymore.

Lackluster how? The shooting and movement feels great. I'd say Crytek nailed movement from Crysis 2 on out, better than anyone. The stealth mechanics are generally sound, albeit easily exploitable. AI is generally smart as well. Most of the battles are fought on open enough areas allowing for lots of diverse creative approaches.

Measured by what standard are Crytek's FPS games lackluster? The only FPS franchise that has better singleplayer content is Halo, as far as I'm concerned - and that's mainly because it doesn't do stealth at all, which is an easily expoitable mechanic. I'd really like to hear you list a bunch of better FPS games than Crysis 1/2/3. There aren't many of those - at least when it comes to singleplayer.

To me, the whole *Crytek games look stunning, but have shit gameplay* opinion usually seems like a regurgitated one, because I rarely ever hear an actual argument backing these statements up.

#43 Edited by Humanity (16848 posts) -

@seppli: I don't think it's shit gameplay, just boring, to me personally. See, you mention that only Halo exceeds the Crysis franchise in your opinion which for me is very telling that we are two people of very divergent opinions on the matter. For me personally, and this isn't a slight to you or anything like that, Halo is probably the only game I find more boring than Crysis. I can give you some examples for that rationale, but I feel like they would just annoy you and cause an unnecessary back and forth since we clearly see things differently. Needless to say I find both of those games, or should I say their style of gameplay, rather bland. I'm sure this may come as sacrilege to some but I find the Call of Duty single player campaign a lot more interesting to play than games like Halo or Crysis because of their movie-like bombastic nature. Syndicate was another FPS title that I thought was great, and I think it's somewhat similar to Crysis in the way your body has weight to it and you can perform vaults over low cover and such.

If you really want I can go in depth as to what I specifically find boring about Halo or Crysis but I just don't think it would serve any purpose other than to highlight the ol' saying of Different strokes for different folks.

#44 Posted by flasaltine (2498 posts) -

@seppli said:

@humanity said:

@seppli said:

@flacracker said:

Lackluster how? The shooting and movement feels great. I'd say Crytek nailed movement from Crysis 2 on out, better than anyone. The stealth mechanics are generally sound, albeit easily exploitable. AI is generally smart as well. Most of the battles are fought on open enough areas allowing for lots of diverse creative approaches.

Measured by what standard are Crytek's FPS games lackluster? The only FPS franchise that has better singleplayer content is Halo, as far as I'm concerned - and that's mainly because it doesn't do stealth at all, which is an easily expoitable mechanic. I'd really like to hear you list a bunch of better FPS games than Crysis 1/2/3. There aren't many of those - at least when it comes to singleplayer.

To me, the whole *Crytek games look stunning, but have shit gameplay* opinion usually seems like a regurgitated one, because I rarely ever hear an actual argument backing these statements up.

Well I will give my opinion since I kind of started this conversation. I think Crysis 1 is a great FPS. Crysis 2 is not, when compared to the first, but even on its own it is a large step backward from the first making it pretty generic. Haven't played Crysis 3.

#45 Posted by Missacre (568 posts) -

This looks like a great movie! I hope it's in theaters soon.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
#46 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (443 posts) -

I ate 11,500 dinners waiting for those gifs to load.

#47 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

@humanity said:

Huh, I personally thought the controls for Crysis 1 were garbage and that the only thing people raved about were the graphics. I felt that both the second and third game really amped up the gameplay standards and while the gameplay was simplified, it became more fluid.

#48 Edited by SASnake (527 posts) -

They say the weapons, strategy and stuff are highly accurate... Well first, the gladius is for stabbing, not for slashing...

... oh shut up the history nerd inside me. I'm a sucker for anything Roman, I don't mind the generic story, and I absolutely adore the art style of being a cool twist on modern portrayal of the empire. The only thing I can't stand is the slow-mo. Just plain awful.

Well they got a battle historian guy that specializes in this kinda thing as part of the game, who showed them the methods and stuff...so I dunno...

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
#49 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (604 posts) -

Video game coverage in the form of GIF lists. Gamespot has officially gone full-Buzzfeed.

#50 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5854 posts) -

Man I fucking love Rome and this part of history in general and I *always* say "I wish we had more Roman games" but... this just isn't the centurian I'm looking for :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.