Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryse: Son of Rome

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

Set in ancient Rome circa 68 A.D, this third-person action game follows Marius Titus as he sets out to avenge his fallen family. Developed by Crytek as an exclusive Xbox One launch game.

New Ryse video.

• 98 results
    AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AlexGlass

@jazgalaxy said:

In a post Pixar world, I really don't get why people get excited over "cinematic graphics" anymore. If you want to see amazing CGI, go see Gravity. Like 90% of that movie is CGI. I got, back in the day, when it was neat to play a game with speech, or FMV in it, because there was a "look what computers can do! Human achievement is awesome!" kind of feeling about it, but in our modern age I feel like that should be old hat by now.

In terms of gameplay Ryse didn't look very interesting at all, to me.

I'm sure as a developer, this is when you know your game looks damn good. Someone should Twit this to Crytek.

No Caption Provided

They're not CGI or FMV. They're real time. Previous Pixar movies required days of rendering time for 1 frame of animation. Months of rendering on expensive, high end servers 24/7 just for a couple of seconds or minutes of animation. This is running on a $500 console and you get to play with it.

No Caption Provided

This is actually one of the executions, straight from gameplay to executions. Ryse is very cinematic, with a clean UI, and it's really hard to tell gameplay from cutscene because of seamless transitions. The knockout animation on that falling soldier is so good

A few more HD gifs from GAF:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE POST WITH GIFS.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@alexglass: I know that Ryse has been getting a very bad rep for looking repetitive and appearing as a simple button masher but man, I don't even care. I love how Ryse looks and I love the setting. Sadly, it's always going to be compared to God of War since it came first and it basically solidified its place in action games but I don't think its fair to judge yet nor do I think the comparison is justified. People seem to be mistaking the mythological trailer as Titus' story when it's not.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AlexGlass

@deranged said:

@alexglass: I know that Ryse has been getting a very bad rep for looking repetitive and appearing as a simple button masher but man, I don't even care. I love how Ryse looks and I love the setting. Sadly, it's always going to be compared to God of War since it came first and it basically solidified its place in action games but I don't think its fair to judge yet nor do I think the comparison is justified. People seem to be mistaking the mythological trailer as Titus' story when it's not.

GOW is based of Greek myth. This is based on Roman history with some myth thrown in, along with Crytek twists. Neither game is original in plot. These type of stories have been told countless times. One's a Greek God, and the other is a normal guy who becomes a soldier. I don't really see much of a similarity beyond them both being based on historical themes. In gameplay, feel, characters or delivery. Plots are similar, but again, neither game invented the revenge plot. Not to mention, I think Ryse 2, if they make one, could completely ditch Marius Titus and tell a completely different story, in a different era, with a completely different set of characters. The series doesn't have to be centered on Marius's story.

Ryse looks more cinematic to me and at times it is indistinguishable from a movie. Even the gameplay transitions seamlessly to cinematic executions and uses select camera angles to maintain the illusion of a playable movie. It's becoming pretty clear what Crytek was going for and I think they've achieved it.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks great and the setting seems interesting. The story bits and characters shown however don't click with me. I fear it contains a "dudebro-ified" version of Rome and lazy use of stereotypes (aka fat cowardly politician, hero in revenge mode, ...). You can't really tell for sure, cause we have not seen much of this game. The things that were shown together with Cryteks trackrecord in the story/character department leave me worried. This game could be so cool if the story and characters fit. Please don't just be a quicktime enabled graphical showcase.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Vanick

I never really understood why this get's compared to God of War. The only things they really have in common are that they're both third person action games where the protagonists family gets murdered. God of War is much more fantastical and this game looks like it's trying to stay a little more grounded. I think the game looks good but I remain cautiously optimistic about how it will turn out.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@krullban said:
    No Caption Provided

Now make one saying " Pre-Rendered? THIS IS GAME PLAY!

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Everything about this game looks so bad and the development cost is so high, imagine how many small indie type games could be funded with all that money, makes me angry.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this game looks so bad and the development cost is so high, imagine how many small indie type games could be funded with all that money, makes me angry.

Yeah it's just plain awful....

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bigjeffrey

@jayjonesjunior said:

imagine how many divekicks could of been made.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Crysack

I see they still haven't fixed the protagonist's name. I wonder if we'll ever get a historically accurate game based in the Imperial Roman period.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOW is based of Greek myth. This is based on Roman history with some myth thrown in, along with Crytek twists. Neither game is original in plot. These type of stories have been told countless times. One's a Greek God, and the other is a normal guy who becomes a soldier. I don't really see much of a similarity beyond them both being based on historical themes. In gameplay, feel, characters or delivery. Plots are similar, but again, neither game invented the revenge plot. Not to mention, I think Ryse 2, if they make one, could completely ditch Marius Titus and tell a completely different story, in a different era, with a completely different set of characters. The series doesn't have to be centered on Marius's story.

Ryse looks more cinematic to me and at times it is indistinguishable from a movie. Even the gameplay transitions seamlessly to cinematic executions and uses select camera angles to maintain the illusion of a playable movie. It's becoming pretty clear what Crytek was going for and I think they've achieved it.

That's the thing though, Crytek mentioned that there may some mythological elements tossed in but we've never seen nor heard what they may be or how much of an impact they play, so aside from the Damocles trailer, there isn't much of a mythological aspect to the game unless it plays a bigger part in the story, which we are still largely unaware of.

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the historical setting and the graphics look great.

To me, the gameplay looks decidedly average and its almost as if I can see the joining of one animation to the next, like the animations don;t smoothly roll into each other - hard to explain!

Not quite sure why there is so much excitement to be honest, I predict a 3/5 star review personally.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@flacracker said:

I don't see why so many people hate on this game. It actually looks pretty cool. It has great graphics. It has Rome. It has gory combat. It probably wont be as broken as Rome 2. Maybe too many QTE's though.

People will hate Crytek forever for what they've done to them with Crysis 1. They handed the people the future, and made most of them feel too poor to partake. Now, 7 years later, finally the world at large can catch up with Crytek's vision of 7 years ago. And still they hate them for their arrogance of showing them all up.

All of Crytek's games past Crysis seem generally underrated and unfairly judged to me. At least outside of Germany, which seems to have embraced them for their prowess. Well - they are Sons of Germany after all. I for one have enjoyed all of Crytek's games more than most their competitors.

Or maybe you shouldn't jump to ''EVERYBODY IS UNFAIR AND HATES CRYTECH FOR NO REASON''. People aren't judging ryse on the merits of crysis, they're judging ryse on the merits of what it actually looks like: an expensive tech demo that looks completely outdated gameplay wise. It's the same reason people aren't too jazzed about the new killzone. It looks hella boring.

Personally, I'm over the whole slashing/stabbing/shooting dudes in the exact same way I've been doing it in games for the last 7 to 10 years. You can't add a gimmick like the QTEs in ryse or the gadgets in killzone to make me care about your game. You need something big like the expensive BF4 multiplayer or something truly novel like the open world hacking of watch_dogs. Graphics are a plus but they won't ever make me buy a game on their own.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not quite sure why there is so much excitement to be honest, I predict a 3/5 star review personally.

Everyone has their own tastes. Personally, I find the combat to be quite enjoyable and obviously, not everyone agrees me.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AlexGlass

@deranged said:

@alexglass said:

That's the thing though, Crytek mentioned that there may some mythological elements tossed in but we've never seen nor heard what they may be or how much of an impact they play, so aside from the Damocles trailer, there isn't much of a mythological aspect to the game unless it plays a bigger part in the story, which we are still largely unaware of.

Well that Damocles trailer has enough hints for me and it's good thing imo that they haven't disclosed too much. They've shown enough of this game. I'm going to stay out of Ryse threads after launch because I don't plan on getting it day 1 and I don't want it spoiled. Story, pacing and voice acting will make or break it for me so I hope it's good. I'm liking the characters a lot though from what I'm seeing. English theater actors are pretty damn good when it comes to settings like this. That's really what's standing out the most to me right now other than graphics and animations. They're playing the hell out of their roles and with the way Crytek motion capped and had everyone play out their scenes on stage, together at once, it definitely carried over into the game. It's just on a different level compared to what we're accustomed to from most video game cutscenes, body language and voice acting.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@flacracker said:

I don't see why so many people hate on this game. It actually looks pretty cool. It has great graphics. It has Rome. It has gory combat. It probably wont be as broken as Rome 2. Maybe too many QTE's though.

People will hate Crytek forever for what they've done to them with Crysis 1. They handed the people the future, and made most of them feel too poor to partake. Now, 7 years later, finally the world at large can catch up with Crytek's vision of 7 years ago. And still they hate them for their arrogance of showing them all up.

All of Crytek's games past Crysis seem generally underrated and unfairly judged to me. At least outside of Germany, which seems to have embraced them for their prowess. Well - they are Sons of Germany after all. I for one have enjoyed all of Crytek's games more than most their competitors.

Or maybe you shouldn't jump to ''EVERYBODY IS UNFAIR AND HATES CRYTECH FOR NO REASON''. People aren't judging ryse on the merits of crysis, they're judging ryse on the merits of what it actually looks like: an expensive tech demo that looks completely outdated gameplay wise. It's the same reason people aren't too jazzed about the new killzone. It looks hella boring.

Personally, I'm over the whole slashing/stabbing/shooting dudes in the exact same way I've been doing it in games for the last 7 to 10 years. You can't add a gimmick like the QTEs in ryse or the gadgets in killzone to make me care about your game. You need something big like the expensive BF4 multiplayer or something truly novel like the open world hacking of watch_dogs. Graphics are a plus but they won't ever make me buy a game on their own.

I'm sorry but the way I see Ryse is like a modern day Western action JRPG minues the rpg elements. What Final Fantasy should be today and Square just can't figure it out. It's not like any of those games had combat that you can really call "fun". It was all about the story, characters, pacing, adrenaline, and visuals/settings. No matter how the combat is, it can't be any less worse than the "strategic" FF series combat. And it will probably strip out 20 hours of boring grinding or fetching that I just don't have the time to do anymore at my age.

Not sure why people insist on focusing on the combat, and then misrepresenting it to boot, when it's clear what the game's strong points are as well as direction.This isn't Ninja Gaiden. If it has a great story, good acting, great character development, good pacing, and obviously great visuals, and combat that just gets the job done, then it will accomplish its goals. The QTEs are there to simply maintain the cinematic feel they want to go for even during gameplay. I'd rather do a QTE execution, that lasts a second as a finishing move, than watch a 2 minute Knights of the Round summon. But that's just me.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just downloaded the 1080p video, man this game looks great on the big screen.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By xyzygy

This game is looking phenomenal. I like how the gameplay seems to take a lot from the Arkham games.

Though, I don't get how people can berate this game for having QTE's when the Arkham games have literally the exact same thing. When an enemy is about to attack in Arkham, there is an icon above their head, telling you to counter now. And it comes complete with yellow/blue QTEs, JUST like Ryse. Yet somehow Ryse is a QTE fest.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely getting this game, I really love the setting. Besides the total war games, not that many good roman games out there. As for the gameplay, I really don't care if it has a bunch of QTE's in it, I don't play games with QTE's in it so it'll be something new for me.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We could have got at least 32 2D pixel art platformer from the money it took to make Ryse.

Also where are you getting your information about development costs?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loading Video...

Thought of this video after witnessing that trailer.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go big screen

Dem Teeth
    Dem Teeth

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

This game is looking phenomenal. I like how the gameplay seems to take a lot from the Arkham games.

I don't get how people can berate this game for having QTE's when the Arkham games have literally the exact same thing? When an enemy is about to attack in Arkham, there is an icon above their head, telling you to counter now. And it comes complete with yellow/blue QTEs, JUST like Ryse. Yet somehow Ryse is a QTE fest.

Yeah. I really don't get how people are saying this is a QTE fest. It makes no sense to me. The gameplay looks very similar to the batman games, maybe not as fluid in areas. Just it has more of a focus on blocking.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#75  Edited By xyzygy

@krullban said:

@xyzygy said:

I don't get how people can berate this game for having QTE's when the Arkham games have literally the exact same thing? When an enemy is about to attack in Arkham, there is an icon above their head, telling you to counter now. And it comes complete with yellow/blue QTEs, JUST like Ryse. Yet somehow Ryse is a QTE fest.

Yeah. I really don't get how people are saying this is a QTE fest. It makes no sense to me. The gameplay looks very similar to the batman games, maybe not as fluid in areas. Just it has more of a focus on blocking.

I can understand the focus on blocking. The shield is there for a reason after all :P But I think the lack of fluidity also comes from the lack of abilities a Roman soldier would have in comparison to Batman. Batman has a form fitting suit for agility, gadgets to counter different situations, and is facing multiple different types of weaponry. Roman soldiers enter battle with only their armor, weapon, and shield.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Krullban

@xyzygy said:

@krullban said:

@xyzygy said:

I can understand the focus on blocking. The shield is there for a reason after all :P But I think the lack of fluidity also comes from the lack of abilities a Roman soldier would have in comparison to Batman. Batman has a form fitting suit for agility, gadgets to counter different situations, and is facing multiple different types of weaponry. Roman soldiers enter battle with only their armor, weapon, and shield.

I agree. It's not an issue for me, I just think if somebody is going to complain they should at least complain about that. Complaining about the game being a "QTE fest" is just false. But I constantly see that EVERYWHERE.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By KittyVonDoom

98% of those small type indie games would be a Minecraft style pixel art games.

Even fewer would actually be any fun.

Lazy dismissiveness is fun!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

@seppli said:

@flacracker said:

I'm sorry but the way I see Ryse is like a modern day Western action JRPG minues the rpg elements. What Final Fantasy should be today and Square just can't figure it out. It's not like any of those games had combat that you can really call "fun". It was all about the story, characters, pacing, adrenaline, and visuals/settings. No matter how the combat is, it can't be any less worse than the "strategic" FF series combat. And it will probably strip out 20 hours of boring grinding or fetching that I just don't have the time to do anymore at my age.

Not sure why people insist on focusing on the combat, and then misrepresenting it to boot, when it's clear what the game's strong points are as well as direction.This isn't Ninja Gaiden. If it has a great story, good acting, great character development, good pacing, and obviously great visuals, and combat that just gets the job done, then it will accomplish its goals. The QTEs are there to simply maintain the cinematic feel they want to go for even during gameplay. I'd rather do a QTE execution, that lasts a second as a finishing move, than watch a 2 minute Knights of the Round summon. But that's just me.

Not sure where you're getting that ''great story'' and ''great characters'' impression from. All I see is the standard hard ass dude out for revenge storyline on display here. And yes, the combat of JRPGs is more fun than what has been shown for Ryse since it relies on intelligence instead of mashing buttons and, most of all, doesn't abandon good mechanics in favor of a ''cinematic feel''. I'm not interested in paying 60$ for a game that feels cinematic. That shit got tired with CoD:BO and Uncharted 3. Good graphics and good direction don't make for a compeling game. Good story might help but I sincerely doupt Ryse can deliver on that front.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AlexGlass

@xyzygy said:

@krullban said:

@xyzygy said:

This. Semi-mechanical movements is what I would actually expect when wearing that level of body armor. What's funny is the actors were actually fully body motion captured while fighting with shields and sword in hand, so this is actually closer to what it would look.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

The Hollywood version...

Loading Video...

And Ryse does a good job of capturing that but with some cooler more exciting moves. In reality the combat was far more mechanical than in Ryse.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We should always believe prepared shots! Would their marketing department try to show us really neat looking things out of context in effort to get us to buy something?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@extomar said:

We should always believe prepared shots! Would their marketing department try to show us really neat looking things out of context in effort to get us to buy something?

Do you say this after every trailer you watch? Seems like a pointless comment.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By AlexGlass

@extomar said:

No, marketing departments should show off all the glitches and flaws.

So then I assume it's a good thing we've already seen gameplay videos, and and have gameplay shots and cinematic executions, huh Extomar? I'm sure you're "THRILLED" to know the game looks just as great. THRILLED! Am I right?

I mean the only reason you must be in here is to observe and appreciate the gameplay details, physics and animations like...

No Caption Provided

the way the character grabs the sword in agony and bends over, his body writhing in pain as he steps back.

the way the global illumination lighting engine affects the specular highlights on the armor and helmet

the plume of dust over his left shoulder rising up

the blue butterfly flying across in the background masked by the impressive depth of field

No Caption Provided

the way the character on the right is hobbling around injured trying to get up, before he gets struck down

the way his dagger, leather straps and tunic spin around his body as Marcus twists using the in-game physics engine. same for the enemy on the left.

the fully dynamic lights and shadows present at all times, irrelevant of scene size or enemies on screen.

No Caption Provided

-the way the enemy's head bobbles and weaves after he gets knocked in the face with the shield, falls to the ground, then grabs the sword as he's stabbed in the abdomen with proper facial animation to go along with each event

-the way he falls over the dynamic grass, and bends it under his body

-the plume of dust in between the grass over Marcus's right shoulder

-the quality of the materials used, like the texture on the shield, the little details like blue flowers in the grass or skulls on the enemy's shoulder pads

No Caption Provided

-the way the enemy's shoulders arch back as he gets stabbed in the back of the neck

-the hair on Marcus's helmet swaying back and forth

-the sleeves on his tunic getting pushed back, along with the dagger on his back, and shoulder pads rising up as he strikes

-the way Marcus's fist actually splits the enemy's pony tail as he thrusts his sword into his neck.

It must be s a great relief for you to know this is the level of detail we can expect from real time gameplay and not just in cutscenes. It is for me. After all after 6 months of these types of comments I've seen from you in just about every Xbox One related thread, downplaynig everything, I honestly can't think why else you would be in here again. It must be that you need confirmation.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is not playing nice with my computer.

It must be s a great relief for you to know this is the level of detail we can expect from real time gameplay and not just in cutscenes. It is for me. After all after 6 months of these types of comments I've seen from you in just about every Xbox One related thread, downplaynig everything, I honestly can't think why else you would be in here again. It must be that you need confirmation.

And you've been there in every one of those threads defending Xbox tooth and nail and collage of gifs.

The fact remains, what we've seen of this game is what the marketers have chosen to let us see. I for one will be reserving judgement until someone is playing it who doesn't have a vested interest in seeing it move as many units as possible.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AlexGlass

@sinusoidal said:

This thread is not playing nice with my computer.

@alexglass said:

And you've been there in every one of those threads defending Xbox tooth and nail and collage of gifs.

The fact remains, what we've seen of this game is what the marketers have chosen to let us see. I for one will be reserving judgement until someone is playing it who doesn't have a vested interest in seeing it move as many units as possible.

First of all we've actually seen people playing Ryse, and that isn't any different than ANY OTHER video game pre-launch, is it?

Second of all, I'm not in them. Usually I start them. That's what gamers do. They post in threads or post threads about shit they like and share them with others. The difference is I don't spend my time going into threads of games or consoles I don't care about, I have no interest in, I don't like, there's little chance in hell of ever actually liking or wanting or anyone actually changing my mind on them, and constantly let everyone know how much I think they suck every time there is an update.

I'll let you figure the difference out. The only vested interest I have is in the game being good, because I plan on getting it, and sharing my excitement with those gamers who also have the same interest. And yes if it sells great, then awesome, because it means more games or more sequels.

Something tells me, a few of you, don't share that sentiment. And your agendas are far different.

Besides, what exactly is there to defend in here? The game clearly looks amazing, and it's been clearly established over and over that it's real time and in-engine unless you believe the developers are straight faced lying, and even then we've seen gameplay videos. Calling out people clearly downplaying shit isn't defending. That's just calling out someone on being trollish.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

The amount of elitism in this thread, on both sides of the debate is simply stunning.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alex Glass getting paid again I see....

As for the game, it looks beautiful but hella boring. It makes me worried that it started off as a Kinect game - that doesn't bode well for those wanting gameplay that is more than hack n' slash.

I hope with the next generations they don't get hung up on how beautiful they can make everything and actually innovate with gameplay and A.I.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... it's been clearly established over and over that it's real time and in-engine...

Where have I heard this line before?

This entire industry is notorious for "in-engine" footage being not-representative of the actual game at all.

Again, I'll reserve judgement until we see something that hasn't been screened by a PR team. I honestly hope the game is as gorgeous as it it appears. I just hope that game play hasn't suffered as a result.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By AlexGlass

@sinusoidal said:
    @alexglass said:

... it's been clearly established over and over that it's real time and in-engine...

Where have I heard this line before?

This entire industry is notorious for "in-engine" footage being not-representative of the actual game at all.

Again, I'll reserve judgement until we see something that hasn't been screened by a PR team. I honestly hope the game is as gorgeous as it it appears. I just hope that game play hasn't suffered as a result.

We have seen stuff not screened. And we actually have seen a clear improvement in the "screened" stuff from E3 when they switched to their new shader model and lighting engine and dropped their LOD character models. Just out of curiousity, do you do this with EVERY game and EVERY developer? Because you can apply this logic to every single game out there.

And for the record, they didn't just say in-engine, but in-game as well. We all know what that means. No ambiguity.

No Caption Provided

That's pretty freaking damning for a company like Crytek to say and not mean it. It's not the type of statement like other devs make where they leave themselves a little wait out, or use vagueness or things that can be interpreted multiple ways.

Finally, it's Crytek, not just any dev! They make game engines and are one of the 2 biggest engine developers in the video game industry and have more than once displayed their technical superiority. How often have they mislead gamers or developers because maybe there's something I don't know about? I think if you start suspecting devs of being dishonest, especially an engine maker like Crytek, then you should have something to base your suspicions on. To my knowledge, their games are almost entirely in-engine and real time because that's their sales pitch. We've already seen Crysis 3 and Cryengine 3. And correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to this, hasn't Crysis 3 been generally regarded as the measuring stick for the best looking game out there? What's there to doubt? This is the next gen version of CryEngine. Ryse is that sales pitch. And they're not pitching it just to gamers, but developers as well.

And in fact, they have clearly specified there is NO difference in models between cutscenes and gameplay.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So if Crytek went there, and it's not true, it's a big indictment on the company as a whole and their business. Not just to gamers, but other interested developers as well who are licensing or want to license their engine. But again, what has Crytek done to be doubted and for them not to be taken for their word? Have they misrepresented in-engine and in-game stuff with CG or enhanced visuals and tried to wiggle their way out of words such as the Twit above? I honestly don't know, so if you have something for your suspicions, do tell. Wouldn't want to get my hopes up for nothing either.

We've seen this since the initial E3 trailer.

Loading Video...

The game goes from cutscenes, to gameplay, to cutscene, to gameplay multiple times. There is NO difference. Same fidelity. Just as they say. Just different camera angles.

Last but not least, those gifs I posted in response to Extomars, are actually gameplay. Which is why I picked them. Not cutscenes, but gameplay, and they're from the trailer.

No Caption Provided

This is an actual gameplay execution. Not a cutscene.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And for the record, they didn't just say in-engine, but in-game as well. We all know what that means. No ambiguity.

In-engine, in-game, on a production model Xbox 1?

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass said:

Not sure what model, but I think they mentioned that the latest video is post GPU and CPU upgrades. Everything they're showing on the XONE tour and the demo's are based off the E3 build.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexglass said:

A production model? LOL. Give it up dude.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

@alexglass said:

A production model? LOL. Give it up dude.

My point stands. What we've seen of this game is not necessarily what it'll look like once people get it in their homes. LOL, dude...

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My point stands. What we've seen of this game is not necessarily what it'll look like once people get it in their homes. LOL, dude...

Guys c'mon... What is with the constant hostility?

Although on the topic, what they've shown through the new story trailer looks a lot better than the E3 demo they showcased, which is also what has been demonstrated ever since. Obviously, the only proof we have is their word and we can only confirm or deny that at launch.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By EXTomar

@ez123 said:

@extomar said:

As a matter of fact I do. And I point this out (again and again) when someone bombards a board with them.

I get that some people get excited about games by watching trailers but what has always bothered me is when people see these things and make extraordinary claims just because it looks great.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Most historical inaccuracies I can deal with. But continuing the trend of having romans speak english in a british accent just seems incredibly lazy.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AlexGlass

@extomar said:

@ez123 said:

@extomar said:

As a matter of fact I do. And I point this out (again and again) when someone bombards a board with them.

I get that some people get excited about games by watching trailers but what has always bothered me is when people see these things and make extraordinary claims just because it looks great.

Just like I love to point out the your bombardment of stealthy troll posts on the Ryse and Xbox board and just like it bothers me when you attempt make extraordinary claims just because it looks great. Based on hot air. New videos and pics belong and add something to the forum and community. Not sure what your posts like above have ever really added. Sour grapes?

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyuzen said:

Most historical inaccuracies I can deal with. But continuing the trend of having romans speak english in a british accent just seems incredibly lazy.

Why lazy? What accents should they have if it's an English language game? Italian? Sardinian? Romanian? Spanish? Neither are true Latin and there's not too many of those to choose from making it big in English language theaters.

Besides, I highly doubt they're going for any accent at all. They're just making an English language game with English actors. It's only a "British accent" in the USA. In the rest of the world, what the English speak, is considered the real deal, and proper English. Not to mention, Crytek is based out of Germany and English theater actors are great, and come at reasonable prices and real close. Better than English with a German accent I say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.