So if you're not familiar with the backstory, basically this game was pay-to-play, got a ton of work done on it, switched ownership a few times, went down for a while, and now is back up in the hands of people who are hosting the servers free of charge. You can download the client at www.ryzom.com
The game is definitely an MMO, so expect grinding and "go get 10 of this" and all the other standard MMO bullshit. However, there's a few things in the game that I really like, and are making me want to invest a good chunk of time in it.
- Non-traditional levelling system.
- Economy based entirely around player created items. (armor, weapons, etc)
- Fun and highly customizable combat system.
- Visual style that looks alot like a bizarre amalgamation of cyberpunk techno-stuff mixed with Elder Scrolls' Morrowind & Shivering Isles.
- It has all the balancing & polish of a pay-to-play MMO that has been patched heavily for years, and yet is completely free!
- No need to re-roll, ever. If you want to specialize in something else, you can without any penalty. Everyone can master everything if they really want to.
So, I recommend it. I'm still on nub island, but I played it for about 5 hours last night and really enjoyed myself. Perhaps we could get a few GB members together to do quests & shit.