Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row 2

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

The clone that surpassed the original returns with the even more over-the-top sequel to Volition's popular open-world mayhem generator, Saints Row.

GTA4 Vs The World

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Sometimes I find myself just being a cynical fuckhead for no reason.

Like, in BSHAF I completely tore apart Prince Of Persia without even mentioning a single aspect of the game that I admire - of which there are a great many. In retrospect I feel like a bit of a dick, but that was my choice. We can choose to focus on what disappoints, or we can choose to focus on what we enjoy. Some reviews may just have been written on a bad day. Some games get reviewed on a good day (Kane And Lynch?). The aspects that we like are subjective.  A game has to be entertaining, sure - but there are many mediums for entertainment within computer games. Just because you didn't like any of the characters or set pieces in GTA4 doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy hopping into a free-play match on XBL whilst intoxicated and mercilessly ramming your Infurnus into a Swing-set.

No Caption Provided
    Doing crazy stuff in games is more Saints Row territory. That game transcends any notion of narrative composure in favour of being a goofy excuse to shoot people. In the context of sandbox games and more importantly the gang warfare on which the whole experience is based - I find that a little insulting. Its almost ignoring the horrific reality of the games very foundations. If you are just going to make a complete moral-vacuum why not make a game where you travel to Ethiopia and beat up starving children? The principle is the same. Sometimes just being entertaining isn't really enough. It seems like a childish regression after all the progress made by GTA4. It makes me angry that GTA4 recieved the majority of negative media attention when it offered so much more ethical weight to every decision.

Its unfair to stack every game up against GTA4 because a lot of games simply aren't interested in that narrative scope, but with Saints Row the comparison is justified. For example its unfair to compare Banjo to Grand Theft Auto despite the fact they both have open world elements. But that is not to say Banjo is without its narrative charms, they are just a lot more subtle, which is arguably when games perform at their best. Valve seems to have a mastery of sub-consciously feeding the players a story without forcing them to sit through cut-scenes. The characters in Left 4 Dead feel so much more real to me than most of the characters in Grand Theft Auto.

I'm not sure which I prefer

A game that is experimental and progressive or a game that is comfortable being a goofy arcade romp.
    The decision for Saints Row to fall into the latter category only makes sense as a way of distinguishing itself as a seperate entity to GTA4. In the context of the game itself it seems stupid. Surely there were better alternatives?

Just like in real life...
    I would like games to be more experimental. There are many different ways for them to do so, but I often find the real creativity is hampered. Bob may have been completely crazy by locking himself in his own room for a month and then faking his on death, but I think what most people forget is - He was just a dude trying to make a game for other people to play and enjoy. There really isn't much help from game companies to push new creative titles from amateur designers. Surely the best move for the industry in general would be to encompass as many new ideas as possible and reflect upon the most successful.

I tried playing some of the NXE community games and I got really frustrated with Microsoft. The point of community games should be as a form of experimentation, a place where aspiring designers can make a name for themselves, not a money making exercise. Nobody is going to pay for these games when you can get awesome free Flash games on the internet. I have better games on my iPod for fucks sake. Microsoft should be maximising the amount of people playing this stuff. Charging a stupid 200 points is helping nobody. Its too low to make any real money, but too high for most people to be interested in paying it. So its a waste of fucking time. Pay the designer for the game and make it free. Until it becomes more accessible for fresh new designers to get people playing their games true innovation will remain limited.

I had an awesome night last night (sorry I missed the bombing run!!) but now I'm really hungover. I have been meaning to write this blog for while. I knew what I wanted to say - but writing all down has been really fucking hard. I cant focus, everything I think about goes all scrambled. I'm going to go back to bed.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Sometimes I find myself just being a cynical fuckhead for no reason.

Like, in BSHAF I completely tore apart Prince Of Persia without even mentioning a single aspect of the game that I admire - of which there are a great many. In retrospect I feel like a bit of a dick, but that was my choice. We can choose to focus on what disappoints, or we can choose to focus on what we enjoy. Some reviews may just have been written on a bad day. Some games get reviewed on a good day (Kane And Lynch?). The aspects that we like are subjective.  A game has to be entertaining, sure - but there are many mediums for entertainment within computer games. Just because you didn't like any of the characters or set pieces in GTA4 doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy hopping into a free-play match on XBL whilst intoxicated and mercilessly ramming your Infurnus into a Swing-set.

No Caption Provided
    Doing crazy stuff in games is more Saints Row territory. That game transcends any notion of narrative composure in favour of being a goofy excuse to shoot people. In the context of sandbox games and more importantly the gang warfare on which the whole experience is based - I find that a little insulting. Its almost ignoring the horrific reality of the games very foundations. If you are just going to make a complete moral-vacuum why not make a game where you travel to Ethiopia and beat up starving children? The principle is the same. Sometimes just being entertaining isn't really enough. It seems like a childish regression after all the progress made by GTA4. It makes me angry that GTA4 recieved the majority of negative media attention when it offered so much more ethical weight to every decision.

Its unfair to stack every game up against GTA4 because a lot of games simply aren't interested in that narrative scope, but with Saints Row the comparison is justified. For example its unfair to compare Banjo to Grand Theft Auto despite the fact they both have open world elements. But that is not to say Banjo is without its narrative charms, they are just a lot more subtle, which is arguably when games perform at their best. Valve seems to have a mastery of sub-consciously feeding the players a story without forcing them to sit through cut-scenes. The characters in Left 4 Dead feel so much more real to me than most of the characters in Grand Theft Auto.

I'm not sure which I prefer

A game that is experimental and progressive or a game that is comfortable being a goofy arcade romp.
    The decision for Saints Row to fall into the latter category only makes sense as a way of distinguishing itself as a seperate entity to GTA4. In the context of the game itself it seems stupid. Surely there were better alternatives?

I would like games to be more experimental. There are many different ways for them to do so, but I often find the real creativity is hampered. Bob may have been completely crazy by locking himself in his own room for a month and then faking his on death, but I think what most people forget is - He was just a dude trying to make a game for other people to play and enjoy. There really isn't much help from game companies to push new creative titles from amateur designers. Surely the best move for the industry in general would be to encompass as many new ideas as possible and reflect upon the most successful.

I tried playing some of the NXE community games and I got really frustrated with Microsoft. The point of community games should be as a form of experimentation, a place where aspiring designers can make a name for themselves, not a money making exercise. Nobody is going to pay for these games when you can get awesome free Flash games on the internet. I have better games on my iPod for fucks sake. Microsoft should be maximising the amount of people playing this stuff. Charging a stupid 200 points is helping nobody. Its too low to make any real money, but too high for most people to be interested in paying it. So its a waste of fucking time. Pay the designer for the game and make it free. Until it becomes more accessible for fresh new designers to get people playing their games true innovation will remain limited.

I had an awesome night last night (sorry I missed the bombing run!!) but now I'm really hungover. I have been meaning to write this blog for while. I knew what I wanted to say - but writing all down has been really fucking hard. I cant focus, everything I think about goes all scrambled. I'm going to go back to bed.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hdfisise

I competely agree with the community games point. I refuse to waste 200points on any of them, although I would be tempted to spend 50. To be honest though, I don't think MS really cares how much they sell for it is probably just another feature that they can use to make the 360 seem more attractive to new developers rather than an attempt to make lots of money.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

Very well done post, Sweep. The point you made about Community Games on XBLA is very valid. I would love to try them, but no one else is going to pay 200 points for these things right? It pisses me off that Microsoft has to push itself in all the time for its piece of the pie.

And for what you said about GTA IV and Saints Row 2, I agree that Saints Row 2 should be getting the negative "moral values" press that GTA IV received. I myself don't even see much of the pure fun that SR2 has to offer. I got it for the PS3 and, yeah, it is fun to go and blow things up with rocket launchers and slice people with chainsaws and katanas, but I didn't feel like I had even as much fun as I did with GTA IV, even with its mature tone.  I understand what you say about corrupting games as well, though of course no one would ever want to play a starving Ethiopian children game...I hope.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "Very well done post, Sweep. The point you made about Community Games on XBLA is very valid. I would love to try them, but no one else is going to pay 200 points for these things right? It pisses me off that Microsoft has to push itself in all the time for its piece of the pie.

And for what you said about GTA IV and Saints Row 2, I agree that Saints Row 2 should be getting the negative "moral values" press that GTA IV received. I myself don't even see much of the pure fun that SR2 has to offer. I got it for the PS3 and, yeah, it is fun to go and blow things up with rocket launchers and slice people with chainsaws and katanas, but I didn't feel like I had even as much fun as I did with GTA IV, even with its mature tone.  I understand what you say about corrupting games as well, though of course no one would ever want to play a starving Ethiopian children game...I hope.
    "
    People would love to play that game; it's called Resident Evil 5.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Ethiopian Zombies is a different matter entirely....

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By crunchUK

um

sandbox games are MEANT to be "do what you want"... not be a "horrific reality". Thats what makes crackdown so awesome. "here's a gun, super strength, super speed, a car, and a load of gangs... ENJOY". no "oh im some east uerope guy whos well tough and has a social circle blah blah blah zzzzz"

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

omfg i spent the last 20 minutes writing a huge reply and then clicked a link in the IRC and lost it all. >:(

Fuck it, im going to blog respond tommorrow.

Awesome Blog as always, you got my mind wheels turning.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Systech

Another good blog, Sweep. I agree that there is a ton of mindless fun to be had in GTAIV.

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Brandy

I can appreciate what both Saints Row 2 and GTA IV bring to the table, and I would like to play both equally. Nicely written once again there Sweep!

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss
    crunchUK said:
    "um

sandbox games are MEANT to be "do what you want"... not be a "horrific reality". Thats what makes crackdown so awesome. "here's a gun, super strength, super speed, a car, and a load of gangs... ENJOY". no "oh im some east uerope guy whos well tough and has a social circle blah blah blah zzzzz""
    Maybe its just me, but the point of this reply was less than obvious. I think it was something about how Crackdown was better than GTA IV, because it was a "purer" sandbox game. Sir, do you in fact know who the grand daddy of sandbox games is? Sure, once upon a time sandbox games only served the basic purpose of letting the player do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted. GTA: Vice City is probably my favorite example of this (didn't play too much of San Andreas or GTA III, so there). Does that mean that that should be the only thing that sandbox games do ever? That's like saying that platformers should have never progressed past something like Super Mario 64. A great game, no doubt: but not the highest bar the genre has set in recent years.
    Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ryu

San Andreas is way better than both for fucking around.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By DBoy

These are 2 different kids playing in the same sandbox.  GTA IV took the series in another direction completely, making a more serious game and practically draining the fun from it.  However, it told a great story, had some interesting characters and tremendous visuals.  As for SR 2, it went the complete opposite direction.  Bad story, not so interesting characters, but a whole lot of fun.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb

Like so often, Sweep, you've slammed out some gold. I agree with you wholeheartedly on roughly every point you make. Intellectual curiousity and the desire to extend a capability to utilize any degree of ingenuity seems to be going the way of the dodo, in favor of milking franchises that somewhere way back when managed to dazzle people with a creativity long since forgotten.

While it may seem odd to say, I believe that Grand Theft Auto IV is perhaps the most ingenuity-comprised game of this generation. The revolution takes place in the narrative and the emotional impact the characters are capable of making. Never in my life has a video game actually managed to touch me, to make me feel, to quite literally wrench at my heart. Despite a large consensus in contrast to my own sentiments, I really think Grand Theft Auto IV has the gameplay to reinforce the story; however, it was entirely surprising for such transcendence from  video game norms to take place in the most unexpected of all game elements: the atmosphere.

Cheers, Sweep! Keep it up.

P.S. That GTA IV picture is crazy-badass.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
    End_Boss said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "um

sandbox games are MEANT to be "do what you want"... not be a "horrific reality". Thats what makes crackdown so awesome. "here's a gun, super strength, super speed, a car, and a load of gangs... ENJOY". no "oh im some east uerope guy whos well tough and has a social circle blah blah blah zzzzz""
    Maybe its just me, but the point of this reply was less than obvious. I think it was something about how Crackdown was better than GTA IV, because it was a "purer" sandbox game. Sir, do you in fact know who the grand daddy of sandbox games is? Sure, once upon a time sandbox games only served the basic purpose of letting the player do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted. GTA: Vice City is probably my favorite example of this (didn't play too much of San Andreas or GTA III, so there). Does that mean that that should be the only thing that sandbox games do ever? That's like saying that platformers should have never progressed past something like Super Mario 64. A great game, no doubt: but not the highest bar the genre has set in recent years."
    Pretty much.

just as how shooters involve shooting, "sandbox" games are DESIGNED upon the basis of free roam and "do what you want"

in crackdown you can do any mission whenever you want and go anywhere wherever you want at any time. in gta4 this is pretty much inconcieveable. I'm not saying sandbox games shouldn't have a story  or realism but they should effectively, be a sandbox.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brukaoru

Another well written blog post Sweep, and if it was hard for you to write, it was totally worth it. As for whether a progressive narrative or a arcade style game is warranted, I think both have their equal place, as long as they both have good gameplay. Though I totally agree Saints Row 2 took it's direction just for the sake of making itself stand out from GTAIV. There's also no doubt that amateur designers have little chance of their games being taken by game companies, which is a shame, because there could certainly be some really amazing games we are missing on that would only taken a fraction of profit from these big companies. 

Rowr
    said:

"omfg i spent the last 20 minutes writing a huge reply and then clicked a link in the IRC and lost it all. >:("
    Let me guess... Casey?

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Oni

Hmm, I don't know that I agree that there's no place for games like SR2. I don't mind games being dumb, mindless entertainment from time to time. And GTA IV is not really all THAT revolutionary. Sure, its story is serious as heck, but it's a story told in cut scenes. Totally disconnected from the actual game. In terms of gravitas it is surely a step forward for games, but they could've done a better job of implementing it. It doesn't make it a better game, in my view (not saying that it isn't, but not necessarily because its story is better).

I mean, it's not like anyone is going to take SR2 seriously. It's the same thins as saying that Don't Be a Menace (2 Society while drinking juice in the hood) is an irresponsible film because it makes light of gang violence.

Do agree on the community games though. Also, I'd love it if they actually made it available in all of Europe, thanks.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK
    brukaoru said:
    "Another well written blog post Sweep, and if it was hard for you to write, it was totally worth it. As for whether a progressive narrative or a arcade style game is warranted, I think both have their equal place, as long as they both have good gameplay. Though I totally agree Saints Row 2 took it's direction just for the sake of making itself stand out from GTAIV. There's also no doubt that amateur designers have little chance of their games being taken by game companies, which is a shame, because there could certainly be some really amazing games we are missing on that would only taken a fraction of profit from these big companies. 

Rowr
    said:
    "omfg i spent the last 20 minutes writing a huge reply and then clicked a link in the IRC and lost it all. >:("
    Let me guess... Casey?

"
    no he means that the page opened in the current tab instead of opening a new tab (in firefox at least)
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru
    crunchUK said:
    "no he means that the page opened in the current tab instead of opening a new tab (in firefox at least)"
    That happens too. :P
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By danielkempster

Great blog, Sweep, and surprisingly relevant considering the whole Grand Theft Auto IV/Saints Row thing that I mentioned in my blog.

To me, GTAIV and SR are two completely different games in terms of what they want to achieve. GTAIV presents itself as what I like to call a "gaming experience" - a game that offers more than I've come to expect from the medium, so much so that I'm no longer just playing the game, but I become involved with it. GTAIV offers us moral choice, provides a significant context for the actions of the player, and places an incredible amount of focus on story an character development. SR, on the other hand, is more of an auxiliary game for me - something to play in addition to, rather than in the role of, my "main game" at any given time. Unlike GTA, the emphasis is placed on making something that is simple and consequence-free, something we don't have to worry about while playing. Saints Row isn't trying to make the player think. It simply gives them a variety of tools and a sizeable environment in which to play with them. The story, the characters, the atmosphere - it's all peripheral stuff, merely a shoddily-constructed rail on which to run an out-of-control, high-speed train. If anybody takes Saints Row seriously, they've majorly misinterpreted what the game is trying to achieve.

I suppose I can draw a comparison with my musical taste. I'm into a wide spectrum of rock music, and what I want to listen to will often depend on my mood. If I want something I don't have to think about too much, I can safely put on something like AC/DC or The Zutons and just appreciate the sound of some pretty good music. Alternatively, if I want to really listen to something, and appreciate all the facets of the music, I'll invariably pick multi-faceted progressive rock bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis. That's how I feel about Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto IV respectively.

I've just realised that I've never left a comment this sizeable on your blog before, and I've also just realised that this is essentially an expanded version of the point I PM'd you about earlier. But what the hell. Thanks, as always, for getting the cogs turning and prompting me to think about why we play the games we play.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Oni
    Rowr said:
    "omfg i spent the last 20 minutes writing a huge reply and then clicked a link in the IRC and lost it all. >:(

Fuck it, im going to blog respond tommorrow.

Awesome Blog as always, you got my mind wheels turning.
    "
    Happened to me while I was writing a review, about halfway through... I sympathize! Lesson learned: When writing big things, don't do it in the browser.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

Grand Theft Auto gets the bad pub from the mainstream press, because of GTA III and its offspring. I liked GTA IV until about half way into the game. The fun just left and the game felt like work. I was left with sterotypical characters and women that were treated like objects. I drudgingly played until I couldn't take it anymore and no longer cared about the characters or the story. I wanted to play in this marvelous city Rockstar had created, but I felt grounded by the powers that be. I haven't played Saints Row 2, so I can't compare, but GTA IV left me feeling empty inside. I want freedom in my games of this nature, where tools of gameplay are given to you and magic can happen, something the developer didn't even see when granting you these tools. We'll see were it goes from here, maybe next time, I'll care more. 

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22  Edited By JamesF

But you can play darts with in-game friends in GTAIV.

I thought Darts = Win?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Holey moley, I wasnt expecting so many enthusiastic replies...!!

Oni:

I don't mind games being dumb, mindless entertainment from time to time.
    Thats exactly the point i'm making, and I completely agree. I just think it feels stupid in the context of saints row. Why go to the trouble of making such a complicated game with such mature themes if you're just going to make dick-n-fart jokes (Bonus points for the J&sB reference). It feels like such a waste of potential.

DanK:

This blog is sort of a reply to your own - you got me thinking about this subject, so thanks dude :)
    If anybody takes Saints Row seriously, they've majorly misinterpreted what the game is trying to achieve.
    I long ago surrendered any notion of hope that people will play computer games the way they were designed to be played. It is both the mediums major triumph and it's curse; that users can both exceed expectations whilst simultaneosly completely missing the point.

Dboy:

As for SR 2, it went the complete opposite direction [Of GTA4].  Bad story, not so interesting characters, but a whole lot of fun.
    You make it sound like GTA4 is no fun because it takes itself too seriously! I know thats not what you mean though. Whilst I agree there is room for both slapstick and mature takes on every theme, taking the design into the territory of "wacky" just doesnt work for me in this context. I 100% understand how someone could probably have a lot more fun playing Saints Row, but I also feel GTA4 is 100% more meaningful.

Claude:

They cant all be gems mate. You gave it a shot, which is all anyone could ask ;) You have to admit, Integrity2.0 is fucking hillarious though...

EVERYONE ELSE

Thanks for all the great comments guys! You are all competely awesome!
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK

a complement from sweep!!!!!

i'll never refresh this page again

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By granderojo

GTAIV offered a higher quality experience, saints row offered a good quality experience.

If I was stuck on a dessert island and had to choose between the two I would pick GTAIV, but if GTA SA was in that question it would be it.

That games was unparalleled.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rowr

Ok i didnt get to the blog, i tried, blogging is such a difficult thing for me. Maybe we can discuss it in the future...

Ill just say, i think its one of the best things about the medium that we can have such a variety of genres and themes to choose from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.