Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row 2

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

The clone that surpassed the original returns with the even more over-the-top sequel to Volition's popular open-world mayhem generator, Saints Row.

"This is our city, we can do whatever the fuck we want."

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Edited By Kazona

Yep. I finished Saints Row 2, and now appearantly I can do whatever the fuck I want. I have to say, I like doing whatever I want. But then why do the cops still try to arrest me when I shoot someone? That just ain't fair...

On a serious note, the game was awesome. The story in the first one was better, but the cut scenes in this one were just so frickin' awesome! I mean, seriously, they are some of the most "fuck yea!" cut scenes I've ever seen in game. But of course the game is more than just watching cool little scenes like that. What matters is the gameplay itself, and to be honest, if you're going for a pure fun factor, then this game is probably more enjoyable than GTA IV. Sure it's got plenty of flaws, but despite that I had an absolute blast with it. Fire fights, for instance, always felt kinda drawn out in GTA IV with the need to go from cover to cover. In Saints Row 2, however, it's plain ol' blasting fools. Who needs cover when facing off against 8+ guys at once? Just run up to them and shoot them in the face with your shotgun. Niko may be a millitary dude, but in terms of toughness he ain't got nothing on this dude from Stillwater. Except for when it comes to jumping off things... Cuz appearantly 20 bullets aren't deadly, but falling from 10 feet high instantly kills you. Logical.

By now everyone should know that the game is a direct sequel to the first game and your goal is getting back the city of Stillwater. And everyone also probably knows there's a ton of activities which are completely over the top crazy. Yes there really is an activity where you have to cover everything in shit. And as funny and awesome as that sounds, it was kind of a letdown. Other activities like playing a psycho cop were awesome though. But of course chainsaws are standard issue with the stillwater police departement! A domestic disturbance? I think that calls for a flamethrower! So yea, some of the activities are totally funny and hilarious and others which I thought were going to be funny were kinda meh.

As for the driving. Well it plays just fine. Driving and stuff feels more like the GTA of old, except more over the top. You actually earn respect and stars for driving as a maniac, but without crashing. First you get 3 bronze stars, then 3 silver, and finally 3 gold. I haven't really delved into it much but I think you get rewards for it too. Well I'm pretty sure of it actually since I got a unique custom car as a reward for getting 3 gold stars driving against traffic. I didn't seem to get anything for power sliding, though, so perhaps only some things will reward you. But as cool as driving is in this game (more enjoyable than GTA IV), the motor cycles totally suck. As do most choppers. The controls for those things feel far too sensetive and loose, so I often avoid using the bikes in the game, and only used a chopper if I had a large distance to cover. The customization for the cars is awesome though. Seriously. It's awesome.

Anyway I had a great time with this game. I'll probably write a review for it fairly soon and post that up on the site, so look out for that if you're interested. Oh and before I forget, the story is not bad by any means. It's not awesome, and the first one was better, but there was never a moment that I didn't enjoy the story of the game, as ridiculous as it may be.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

Yep. I finished Saints Row 2, and now appearantly I can do whatever the fuck I want. I have to say, I like doing whatever I want. But then why do the cops still try to arrest me when I shoot someone? That just ain't fair...

On a serious note, the game was awesome. The story in the first one was better, but the cut scenes in this one were just so frickin' awesome! I mean, seriously, they are some of the most "fuck yea!" cut scenes I've ever seen in game. But of course the game is more than just watching cool little scenes like that. What matters is the gameplay itself, and to be honest, if you're going for a pure fun factor, then this game is probably more enjoyable than GTA IV. Sure it's got plenty of flaws, but despite that I had an absolute blast with it. Fire fights, for instance, always felt kinda drawn out in GTA IV with the need to go from cover to cover. In Saints Row 2, however, it's plain ol' blasting fools. Who needs cover when facing off against 8+ guys at once? Just run up to them and shoot them in the face with your shotgun. Niko may be a millitary dude, but in terms of toughness he ain't got nothing on this dude from Stillwater. Except for when it comes to jumping off things... Cuz appearantly 20 bullets aren't deadly, but falling from 10 feet high instantly kills you. Logical.

By now everyone should know that the game is a direct sequel to the first game and your goal is getting back the city of Stillwater. And everyone also probably knows there's a ton of activities which are completely over the top crazy. Yes there really is an activity where you have to cover everything in shit. And as funny and awesome as that sounds, it was kind of a letdown. Other activities like playing a psycho cop were awesome though. But of course chainsaws are standard issue with the stillwater police departement! A domestic disturbance? I think that calls for a flamethrower! So yea, some of the activities are totally funny and hilarious and others which I thought were going to be funny were kinda meh.

As for the driving. Well it plays just fine. Driving and stuff feels more like the GTA of old, except more over the top. You actually earn respect and stars for driving as a maniac, but without crashing. First you get 3 bronze stars, then 3 silver, and finally 3 gold. I haven't really delved into it much but I think you get rewards for it too. Well I'm pretty sure of it actually since I got a unique custom car as a reward for getting 3 gold stars driving against traffic. I didn't seem to get anything for power sliding, though, so perhaps only some things will reward you. But as cool as driving is in this game (more enjoyable than GTA IV), the motor cycles totally suck. As do most choppers. The controls for those things feel far too sensetive and loose, so I often avoid using the bikes in the game, and only used a chopper if I had a large distance to cover. The customization for the cars is awesome though. Seriously. It's awesome.

Anyway I had a great time with this game. I'll probably write a review for it fairly soon and post that up on the site, so look out for that if you're interested. Oh and before I forget, the story is not bad by any means. It's not awesome, and the first one was better, but there was never a moment that I didn't enjoy the story of the game, as ridiculous as it may be.

Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gigastormz

Glad you enjoyed it.  I agree, it is a hell of a lot of fun and overall it is more enjoyable than GTA IV.  Did you try any co-op?  I think my favorite activities were either Fight Club or the Destruction Derby.

Loc95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Loc95

At least this game never pretended to be deep or insightful. This game tells your right from the start: "fuck logic, just have fun".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.