Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

When invading aliens capture the Saints and imprison their minds in a digital recreation of Steelport, it's up to the Boss (who by now has become the President of the United States) to free Earth from its oppressive new overlords.

Boost frame rate on consoles

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Hey friends. So I was messing with the 360 version of this game when I came a crossed something kind of crazy. The console versions of this game have v sync options! Flipping them off and turning off film grain boosts the frame rate slightly. Granted its no solid 60 (or 30 for that matter) but it helps quite a bit. You can find them in the options menu under display

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Really? I just put more RAM into my 360 and opened it to put a liquid cooler on it so i could overclock the CPU.

genericHenle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

@thehbk said:

Really? I just put more RAM into my 360 and opened it to put a liquid cooler on it so i could overclock the CPU.

Oh me too. I just downloaded some new RAM and a new GPU. It's running so much better!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Mmmm delicious screen tearing...

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Dude I'm not joking. I have no clue why a console version would have v sync options but they are there. And will of course kill frame rate

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

I don't know. I guess I'm so use to poor framerates that I don't even notice it anymore. So I'm looking for the next gen to blow me away with its amazingness.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've only played the games for a couple hours but I honestly haven't been bothered by the frame rate so far, except for one significant hitch I had. Not sure if I'm just lucky or if other people have been playing a lot of PC games.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I've only played the games for a couple hours but I honestly haven't been bothered by the frame rate so far, except for one significant hitch I had. Not sure if I'm just lucky or if other people have been playing a lot of PC games.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jackel2072: I think they've had a V-Sync toggle since they patched it into the first game.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

from what i heard the frame rate for this on consoles is atrocious. how can anybody play these lol

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@luca717: The PS3 version is mostly fine except for scenes of really hectic mayhem, where it gets choppy and occasionally locks up.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played on 360 perfectly fine without changing options. The only time it was a bit unbearable was during those on foot race missions, but it was still playable for me. I was also used to playing Doom 3 and Rage which stay at 60 FPS right before I got SR4

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I played through on PS3 and the only time I had any kind of significant frame drops was during UFO mayhem.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By JasonR86

I did this on the 360 version of Infinite too. The screen tearing sucked but the shitty, inconsistent framerate was worse.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JazGalaxy

There are some PC gamers who think anything under 30 frames a second is "unplayable".

personally, the only time framerate ever bothers me is if it messes up my timing on something.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

There are some PC gamers who think anything under 30 frames a second is "unplayable".

personally, the only time framerate ever bothers me is if it messes up my timing on something.

Unplayable is a dumb word. But I don't like how games look under 30. I can tolerate down to 23-28. But, for me personally, I know that with Infinite, with vsync on, I was around 20 fps and it was rough. The real problem I have is when the framerate is inconsistent. I don't mind a steady, lower framerate. It's when the game jumps from 20-30-20-40-30-60-15 that it really bothers me. It's just ugly.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jazgalaxy said:

Personally, anything under 30 FPS is unplayable.

See? I can add 'personally' to a statement and make it indisputable, too.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yep - its the last time I ever pay any attention when Brad goes on about console games being 'broken' or 'unplayable.' because of the framerate. Maybe they are if you have some super flash PC and can't go back, but if you are a consistent console peasant like me then this, Far Cry 3, whatever else - they all play fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I remember Bioshock 2 having a vsync option (although they didn't call it that) on the PS3. Weird. Anyway, it sucks that developers can't manage to get the framerate locked at 30 but then again only really good dev teams manage even that. Sub-30 is playable but it's certainly a bummer.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

It's not unplayable, it's unpleasant. And 30 is a standard, has been for quite some time now. Or, at least, it's supposed to be.

Saints Row 2 had a VSYNC option that practically had to be off to keep a decent framerate, and even then it wasn't great.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seriously doubt all these people who are saying the PS3 doesn't have frame drops

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sooty

@jazgalaxy said:

Unplayable? No, it's playable, but so is 15-20 fps. It's playable, you can get through the game.

But is it nice to play? Nope.

@zacagawea said:

I seriously doubt all these people who are saying the PS3 doesn't have frame drops

The funny thing is you can see the massive difference in the Saints Row IV quick look when they switch to PC, but people still deny it happens.

I don't know, maybe they can't take their consoles being insulted or something? I have both so I couldn't give a shit, my PS3 has been a good system, but even it knows it runs some games like shit.

Hell, The Last of Us didn't even maintain a solid 30 FPS, it dipped often especially when outside.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.