Samurai Shodown (known in Japan as Samurai Spirits, and not to be confused with the 1993 game of the same name) is a 2.5D historical-fantasy weapon-based fighting game developed by SNK and published by both SNK (in Japan) and Athlon (worldwide) for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on June 25, 2019.
A reboot of the series of the same name, Samurai Shodown is the first mainline entry in the series in 11 years (after Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny) and brings the series to its traditional 2D gameplay roots. Along with 13 fighters from previous games in the series (with more added as DLC), the game features three new playable characters: main protagonist Yashamaru, hulking shipwright Darli, and "feng shui" fighter Ruixiang.
The story takes place in 1787 (between the events of Samurai Shodown V and the original Samurai Shodown).
Ports for the Nintendo Switch, PC, and Google Stadia, as well as an arcade release (running PC-based Taito Type X3 hardware with the NESICAxLive2 digital distribution platform), are in development.
- Yashamaru Kurama - The game's main protagonist. A ronin who stalks the shadows as the phantom thief "Karasu Tengu". Fights with a heirloom nagamaki and ancestral tengu powers.
- Darli Dagger - A shipwright of African descent who learned how to build from carpenters and how to fight from pirates. Fights with a large saw-tooth blade (which she calls "Libertalia").
- Shizuka (final boss) - TBA
Season 1 Pass
Also includes the alternate retro Nakoruru costume.
- Rimururu (returning character, will be added on August 2019)
- Basara (returning character, will be added on October 2019)
- Kazuki Kazama (returning character, will be added on December 2019)
- Wan-fu (returning character, will be added on February 2020)