Scooby-Doo Mystery is two distinct licensed adventure games with the same title released close to the same time for the Sega Genesis and SNES respectively. Acclaim published both versions, though they have separate developers. Both versions of the game are based on the Scooby Doo TV franchise.
The Sega Genesis version of the game is a "point-and-click" in the vein of a LucasArts or Sierra graphic adventure game. It features two episodes where Scooby and Shaggy are on their own to solve the mysteries solo. The player controls Shaggy while Scooby accompanies him everywhere that he goes. Scooby will sometimes give the player hints by pointing at objects they may need, or places of interest. The player searches through each location to find items and clues that will help them solve each mystery.
The Super Nintendo version of the game is a 2D side-scrolling action game based around searching through different locales for clues to solve the mystery. The player controls Scooby and Shaggy, who can search different rooms for various items, and sniff out hidden ones. Shaggy can speak to members of the gang to accomplish different goals.
- Daphne provides the duo with Scooby Snacks to decrease Shaggy and Scooby's "fright meter", which operates similar to a combined health and sanity meter.
- Fred provides the blueprints to construct the traps to catch the villain.
- Velma can determine if an item the duo found is a clue, and award the player 200 points for every clue item recovered. She will eventually piece together the mystery with enough clues.
The SNES version has recurring enemies, some of which can be leaped over while others - like the "ghost pirates" - need special items to temporarily eliminate them. Shaggy can only carry three items at once, and this includes trap items and Scooby Snacks. The player must be careful to save a space for new clue items when they find them.
Each episode involves the gang driving to a reportedly haunted locale and trying to figure out what, or who, is behind all the ruckus. In both cases Shaggy and Scooby end up being the only ones left to solve the mystery.
Episodes (Genesis Version)
- Blake's Hotel - A hotel that is run by Daphne's uncle Blake, who invites the group over for a weekend stay. Upon arrival they learn that an ancient chieftain is scaring away all of the customers.
- Ha Ha Carnival - A practically abandoned Carnival. Eventually Fred, Daphne, and Velma go missing and a phantom clown seems to be behind it all.
Episodes (SNES Version)
- Spooky Shipwreck - An abandoned ship named the Red Ryan is being haunted by the One-Eyed Matt.
- Ha Ha Carnival - The amusement park is being haunted by an evil clown.
- Abandoned Ranch/Swamp - A tar monster is running amok on a ranch scaring away any visitor.
- Blake's Hotel - A house owned by Daphne's uncle is haunted by Count Bagosi.