Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

Beat up a lot of people to win the heart of your girlfriend in this retro-themed 2D side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels.

Designer's notes on the game, plus sprite rips and other goodies

Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By Teclo

The game as a side-scrolling shooter
    Just been checking around for the people who were involved in creating the Scott Pilgrim game and I came across some  interesting behind the scenes stuff from the guy who did the backgrounds and some other contributions. For example, at one point they were going to turn it into a side- scrolling shooter due to time and budgetary concerns. I really don't think it would have worked as well in that genre since the style of fighting in the comic doesn't really convert over into flying from left to right incredibly quickly and shooting out bullets.

He goes on to mention other interesting ideas that were scrapped for various reasons, such as Crash and the Boys being a boss in Level 1, a skateboard chase section in Level 2  and that each character was going to have a "Nega" version of themselves to fight. You can read the whole thing yourself right here, as well see loads of artwork that did and didn't make it into the game. Oh, including the stages for the upcoming  Dodgeball and Battle Royal game modes.  He also confirms that the 6th character (which will be Knives) will only be unlockable when the DVD comes out.

Some interesting links...
    • Game designer Jonathan Lavigne's blog.
    • Lead animator and pixel artist Paul Roberton's LiveJournal and " Visublog".
    • Additional animations, and other stuff, were done by Mariel Cartwright and Jonathan Kim. They both have some great artwork on their blogs.
    • The music was done by Amanaguchi. They release a free single on their website each fortnight, so if you like the music in the game you should check it out.

Paul Roberston has uploaded some animated sprite rips onto his LiveJournal. I've rar'd them up and you can get the set here. Also, here's a sheet of the boss fight pictures, which were drawn by Mariel Cartwright aka Kinuko. It includes Knives' picture too.
    Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Teclo

Just been checking around for the people who were involved in creating the Scott Pilgrim game and I came across some  interesting behind the scenes stuff from the guy who did the backgrounds and some other contributions. For example, at one point they were going to turn it into a side- scrolling shooter due to time and budgetary concerns. I really don't think it would have worked as well in that genre since the style of fighting in the comic doesn't really convert over into flying from left to right incredibly quickly and shooting out bullets.

He goes on to mention other interesting ideas that were scrapped for various reasons, such as Crash and the Boys being a boss in Level 1, a skateboard chase section in Level 2  and that each character was going to have a "Nega" version of themselves to fight. You can read the whole thing yourself right here, as well see loads of artwork that did and didn't make it into the game. Oh, including the stages for the upcoming  Dodgeball and Battle Royal game modes.  He also confirms that the 6th character (which will be Knives) will only be unlockable when the DVD comes out.

Some interesting links...
    • Game designer Jonathan Lavigne's blog.
    • Lead animator and pixel artist Paul Roberton's LiveJournal and " Visublog".
    • Additional animations, and other stuff, were done by Mariel Cartwright and Jonathan Kim. They both have some great artwork on their blogs.
    • The music was done by Amanaguchi. They release a free single on their website each fortnight, so if you like the music in the game you should check it out.

Paul Roberston has uploaded some animated sprite rips onto his LiveJournal. I've rar'd them up and you can get the set here. Also, here's a sheet of the boss fight pictures, which were drawn by Mariel Cartwright aka Kinuko. It includes Knives' picture too.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

What is the relation between unlocking Knives and the DVD's release?
    Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Teclo
    @ImmortalSaiyan: No one's said anything specific yet but it's going to be something like you'll get a code with the DVD that will unlock Knives. Maybe she'll just be released as DLC on the release date of the DVD. The same goes for the two additional modes that are still locked at the moment (Dodgeball and Battle Royal).
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @Teclo:
    Interesting. Is it just the DVD that will get the code or will the Blu-ray also get it. I plan on buying the Blu-ray.
    The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By The_Tolman

has anyone had any problems downloading the free Anamanaguchi songs? every time i download them it, my itunes cant find the original file

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.