Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The fourth game in the Scribblenauts series focuses on cooperative multiplayer and content sharing, while further increasing the number of possible objects players can create.

Yaaay! Another Title that I can't purchase!

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eskimo

So this is yet another game where the publisher has given a big old FUCK YOU to its non US customers.

There is no EU or AU launch date currently available.

Thanks WB Games!

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VierasTalo

Eh, it's coming out on the PC thankfully. I'll finally get to play some Scribblenauts.

EDIT: Oh wait, shit. Screw WB!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eskimo: Check steam?

But really I do not know. I am pretty sure it is coming out else where though... Then again WB is based in NA....

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

Yeah... but I'm happy with Scribblenaughts Remix for now.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eskimo

Of course I checked Steam, but it just says in big orange letters - THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION.

It gets tough being continually reminded that publishers dont really give a shit about our tiny market.

Im in Australia by the way, respect to EU, it must be even harder there waiting for all the translations.

blessey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blessey

They are probably waiting to release it at the same time for Wii U, 3ds and PC.

And since the Wii U is not released in EU...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@eskimo said:

Of course I checked Steam, but it just says in big orange letters - THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION.

Is there any particular reason for this concerning digital releases? Multiple translations aside?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By McShank

@eskimo said:

It gets tough being continually reminded that publishers dont really give a shit about our tiny market.

Im in Australia by the way, respect to EU, it must be even harder there waiting for all the translations.

Hey, At least EU gets the Pikachu 3DS xl.. I want that in america. otherwise I probably wont buy a 3ds for quite a while.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eskimo

@blessey: Thats a damn good point. Retailers here put the PC release of scribblenauts on the 30th, same day as the Wii-U release.

Normally we can buy games ahead of time here, and I've rarely seen the "not available in your region" tag from steam, except in dire circumstances where the game has been massively delayed or not released at all.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Vextroid
    @eskimo said:

@blessey: Thats a damn good point. Retailers here put the PC release of scribblenauts on the 30th, same day as the Wii-U release.

Normally we can buy games ahead of time here, and I've rarely seen the "not available in your region" tag from steam, except in dire circumstances where the game has been massively delayed or not released at all.

@Video_Game_King: I dunno, licensing or commercial agreements? Blessey is probably correct in the AU case.

5thCell on Twitter have said 2013 for other regions. 

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By Soap

This shit still drives me crazy.

It's 2012! Just let us all have it at the same time!

If it comes down to languages it's even more annoying as the UK (surprisingly) speaks english.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Killercombo

In the UK you can't get AC3 or FC3 on Steam, the only way is to buy the retail verion (without steam - just uplay) or buying it on the Amazon US store/trade with a US user. These two + scribblenauts would have been day 1 buy.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@Soap said:

If it comes down to languages it's even more annoying as the UK (surprisingly) speaks english.

You'd be surprised how long it takes to add all those extra Us.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#14  Edited By Soap

@MikkaQ said:

@Soap said:

You'd be surprised how long it takes to add all those extra Us.

That's true I guess... and without those extra U's I'd be totally lost as to what was being said, damn those Americans and their ability to massacare our beautiful language!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravelle

@eskimo said:

So this is yet another game where the publisher has given a big old FUCK YOU to its non US customers.

Thanks WB Games!

Luckily you can pirate games, normally I wouldn't say this but they pretty much didn't give us much choice.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eskimo

Its their fault for making us want it so much, right!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

This game has to be a bitch to localize.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By eccentrix

@Hailinel said:

Maybe I've been watching too much TV, but it seems like they'd just be able to have a computer automatically translate the words and have a human translator double check everything. It's not like they have to translate complex sentences or anything.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@eccentrix said:

@Hailinel said:

Maybe I've been watching too much TV, but it seems like they'd just be able to have a computer automatically translate the words and have a human translator double check everything. It's not like they have to translate complex sentences or anything.

I'm not an expert in language construction, but I do believe that with the myriad ways that foreign grammar rules work, structures of simple phrases don't always match the way English is structured. So even a simple phrase invoking a string of adjectives and a noun might require more than just a base dictionary translation.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xMrSunshine

@Hailinel: Very rarely is a game fully translated to Finnish for example or at least I don't know how I would get to those translations (I haven't really looked because who would want to play anything in Finnish (I'm Finnish btw. so don't take this as racism or something like that please)). There's generally just a German, French and a Spanish version at least in the ROW versions of games and I think those are the ones Europe always gets anyway. That's still no fucking reason to keep the game from everyone in Europe. I'll go ahead and say that most of Europe, at least the western part of it, speaks english.

I hear that you can get the game if a person living in america buys it and then gifts it to you.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xMrSunshine
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Games generally don't receive a PAL release until they've been fully localized into FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish). Scribblenauts isn't going to be the easiest game to localize, it's understandable why it would take a while.

It's also not as simple as saying "release it in English at the same time, then patch it to include FIGS". Marketing gets in the way of that. Publishers want a big marketing push upon release. Having half of your target market unable to play the game when you have that push is a major negative.

Yeah, it sucks. But it's the way the world works. And it's not going to change anytime soon. Digital distribution doesn't change the nature of marketing.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pandorasbox

Are WiiU games region locked? If not, just use amazon to purchase the game.

(if so, what the fuck)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By DeF

@eskimo said:

Thanks WB Games!

you may take into consideration the possibility that they're still doing localizations since language is a key part of the game and the DS games have always seen a delayed release in non-US regions.

sure they could release it in England and Australia but when has that ever stopped someone from doing so before the rest of the PAL region versions were ready.

they're surely not doing it because they think it's funny so all that fuck WB Games nonsense is silly.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xMrSunshine

@MattyFTM: @DeF:

Readers are telling us that the US version has multiple languages, so it’s not that then. And a few people have pointed us toward a NeoGaf thread in which a 5th Cell developer says he can’t explain the delay, but it’s not their choice.
    “Nope. It’s due to stuff I can’t talk about until 2013. Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts were released NA and EU the same day. Trust me. I want your money. It’s due to things outside of development.”

Direct quote from the RPS article I linked earlier. And here's the article again. It also has some other stuff about how WB publishes its games that might warrant that fuck you WB mentality if not just from a consumer viewpoint but also from the developer side of things.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jmood88

@Ravelle said:

@eskimo said:

Thanks WB Games!

Luckily you can pirate games, normally I wouldn't say this but they pretty much didn't give us much choice.

They did give you a choice, you can wait until it comes out in your region. I'm not one of those "you should never pirate anything" people but just own up to the fact that you weren't going to buy it. You act like the game isn't coming out at all to other regions.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By crusader8463

To rub salt in the wound I was able to buy it here in Canada. I played it for about 5 min then remembered that I dislike the Scriblenauts games once I actually play them and really just like them in concept more then anything else, then proceeded to shut it off and not touch it again.

Anyway, ya it sucks that they still do shit like that. It drives me nuts when I go online and try to watch a video and can't because some cunt clicked a checkbox that makes it US only.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ravelle

@jmood88 said:

@Ravelle said:

@eskimo said:

Thanks WB Games!

They did give you a choice, you can wait until it comes out in your region. I'm not one of those "you should never pirate anything" people but just own up to the fact that you weren't going to buy it. You act like the game isn't coming out at all to other regions.

When it's out I will, but in the meanwhile I'll enjoy my pirated copy.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Has anyone from outside the US tried buying the game from the US version of the Steam store?

If you log into Steam in a browser and go to this page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218680/?cc=US

It'll take you to the Scribblenauts Unlimited product page for the US store. You can add it to your cart and proceed to checkout from there even if you're not in the US. I haven't actually bought it myself so I'm not sure if it even works.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

That ?cc=US trick is against the Steam TOS. Don't believe me? Ask Steam support. I did, and this was their response:

to:Daniel <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    date:24 November 2012 06:24
    subject:RE: General purchasing enquiry - Purchasing from US Steam store in EU - [7919-QWCV-7164] [134af687]
    mailed-by:support.steampowered.com
    Signed by:support.steampowered.com

Steam Support
    06:24 (1 hour ago)
    to Daniel
    ========= Please enter your reply ABOVE this line =========

Hello,
    A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Yes, this is against TOS.

You can only make a purchase through a country's Steam Store if you have a payment method registered to that country.

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

So be VERY aware that you are breaking Steam TOS and run the risk of losing your entire account. I don't know how risky it is, but I certainly won't be trying this myself.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaggE

So, it's more like Scribblenauts Limited, amrite?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah, in cases like this I say just torrent that shit. If the company is too stupid to let you give them money for something you want, and there's no plans to make that thing available to you in the future, then you might as well play it if you want to.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By shirogane

Well, better hope this doesn't turn into another P4A.

Maybe all us PAL region people could get together and invade the US, or wipe it out or something. Then we wouldn't have to deal with this stuff! That'll teach em!

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

This is really too bad. Its not that I was sitting on the edge on my seat for this game but I was looking forward to it.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

@dekkadekkadekka: I had a feeling it would be something like that, which is why I didn't actually do it myself! That sucks.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sooty

They need to make the English versions of games standard. Whether they use American or British English should depend on the studio behind them.

Let the countries in Europe that don't speak English (or at least much) wait for the translated copies.

It's utterly ridiculous that the UK has to wait for the French, German and so on translations to be added in. American English and British English is fucking identical save extremely minor spelling differences, so who gives a dick, just release those in all English speaking countries.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By VierasTalo

@xMrSunshine said:

@Hailinel: Very rarely is a game fully translated to Finnish for example or at least I don't know how I would get to those translations (I haven't really looked because who would want to play anything in Finnish (I'm Finnish btw. so don't take this as racism or something like that please)).

This is completely off-topic, but Kingsley's Adventure was totally localized for Finnish. Disney also used to do it back in the PS1/2-days for some of their licensed games. Also, plenty of PS3 games get localized nowadays, at least Sony first party-stuff.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By neurotic

If the UK not being in the EU anymore would get us off PAL then I would vote us out of that shit immediately. I'm only half joking (not being in EU probably wouldn't do that anyway, ask Australia). While I don't really care about this game, I know full well how much bullshit stuff like this is (P4A). I was under the impression we were living in a globalised economy, at least that's what we keep being told. Regionalism is so 19th century.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By Shaunage

Well the Wii U version launches in Australia on the 30th alongside the console. I would assume they delayed the PAL PC version to launch alongside this?

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LevelUpAdrian

Aussie launch is the 28th (even on Wii U when the console launches on 30th for some strange crazy reason): http://www.leveluptimes.com/news/scribblenauts-unlimited-delayed-till-2013-in-euuk-territories-not-in-australianew-zealand/

Disclaimer: I wrote the piece, but we did break the news. Subsequently sites like Joystiq then started linking off to us. So my piece is the original source for the story. But yeah, this is super weird and crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.