How is there not a Tall Tales thread here?

#1 Posted by jaecee (67 posts) -

This game was such a let down at release, but goddamn is the Tall Tale quest line fun as hell. I'm excited to see the Sea Beasts and hope they play through the entire thing.

I just finished the last of the quests last night, so naturally I can't stop thinking about the game, wanting more quests like this, and looking to see what other people have thought about the game since the Anniversary update & Tall Tales. The GB Sea of Thieves Discord invite had expired and doesn't sound like it was active anymore.

Every quest had some unique new gameplay mechanic to figure out what to do or where to go, it was like it was straight out of The Goonies and Indiana Jones.

How many GB Pirates we got up in this mug?

#2 Posted by puddincup (5 posts) -

Since watching the video it has inspired me to get the game pass to try it out. Hopefully I can find some people who are like minded and don't ruin my first impressions.

#3 Edited by Yesiamaduck (2552 posts) -

Was having a blast until i got to captain briggsy. That boss fight.. apparently its scaling is fucked and anyone with a large ship will need to chip away at them for like 40 to 60mins. Trying again tonight with a 2man crew which apparently allows you to beat it in 2mins

#4 Posted by zombie2011 (5598 posts) -

To answer your title question...These forums are pretty much dead.

But yeah SoT has been a very fun experience lately

#5 Posted by NickDynmo (206 posts) -

@yesiamaduck: Did it again last night with a full crew, knowing what to expect and having a plan. We parked the ship off the beach, placed 13 gunpowder barrels there in a pile, kited her there, and blew her up. We then started pelting her with cannonballs for eight or nine minutes.

She must have been nearly dead, but then a server hop happened and the entire thing reset. All progress lost, 13 gunpowder barrels wasted. We were pretty unhappy about it, and started again. Took about 15 or 16 minutes of constant cannonballing but we finally got her down again. But yeah, bullet sponges just aren't fun. I've been playing the game since launch and haven't experienced anything like that.

#6 Edited by jaecee (67 posts) -

Was having a blast until i got to captain briggsy. That boss fight.. apparently its scaling is fucked and anyone with a large ship will need to chip away at them for like 40 to 60mins. Trying again tonight with a 2man crew which apparently allows you to beat it in 2mins

Yeaaaaahhh. I mainly played through all of the Tall Tales quests with a closed crew of 1 friend, but we just preferred sailing the brigantine. It wasn't until after that exhausting fight we learned that she scaled to ship size. That fight was a fucking bear. We did at least have her on the beach where we could unload on her with the cannons. Last fight on the questline took a super long time too- we did have a 3-person crew though, but had gone through all of our food, all of the food in the room we were fighting in, and since we were unsure if all 3 of us dying would reset the fight we eventually just juggled who got to die and who got to run away and just kite the boss until we respawned.

Eventually the dude died, and without knowing any better I picked up the thing he dropped. My friend that I had run the entire quest line with was dead at the time, and my picking up the thing kicked off the end cinematic. He ended up respawning back on the ship and missed the entire end thing. Then, me and the rando we did the mission with started taking screenshots posing and all of a sudden a shit-ton of skelletons popped back up. Apparently you're not meant to dick around after beating the quests.

Anyways, I ran out of the room for dear life. The rando we were with stayed in the room holding the treasure the boss dropped and got killed. Doors closed up, quest ended. Treasure lost forever.

We all met back up on the ship, drank grog until we puked, crashed the ship against some rocks, and drunkenly played music while we sank and drowned. 10/10, would puke over my concertina while drowning in depression again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.