Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Secret of Mana

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Aug 06, 1993

An action RPG for the Super Nintendo and the second game in the Seiken Densetsu series. Secret of Mana can be played by up to three players simultaneously, and is widely regarded as one of the system's finest games.

Are there other CO-OP JRPGs like Secret of Mana?

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By Stefan

Hey Bombers,  

I was wondering if any of you knew other co-op jrpgs like the good old Secret of Mana - I mean across all generations and platforms? 
    I can't really think of any, but I would like to get down with some jrpg co-op action again. 

Thanks for your help!

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By landon

I think the Tales of Symphonia and Vesperia games go up to 4 players.

But only in the battles. You can't really explore the world together like in Secret of Mana.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Stefan
    @Landon: hey, at least that's something, thanks man! 

In addition one might consider Four Swords Adventures as something related.
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Final Fantasy 9 had co-op battles when each person controls 2 of the party in battle.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By MetalBaofu

You mentioned Secret of Mana so that just made me think of Legend of Mana. I think it got mixed reviews, but I remember enjoying it. You may have already thought of that one, because of the Secret of Mana connection, but that's all that I can think of at the moment.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

My girlfriend played the hell out of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles when she was a kid. She tells me it's good, but I have only the barest ability to judge JRPGs myself and I've never played it.

Of course you also need a GBA and special cable for each player.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure

Yep, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is what you're looking for. It's a hassle to set up unless you're a crazy person (such as myself), but it is certainly worth it when you get into the game and play. You need 1 GBA per player (normal or SP work fine, but the normal works better as a controller) and a set of GCN -> GBA cables for each player.

Anyway, game has amazing replay value, you control a young warrior from a town who has to go collect a macguffin to keep the town alive for another year. This involves you clearing 3 dungeons per "year" in game and that's pretty much that. There is little story and it is all about fighting dudes, crafting loot, stat gain, includes different classes, and so on. Some dungeons are not accessible every year and there are various cycles based on the year where the dungeon layout or enemies will be different which keeps it all pretty fresh. Game is very open ended as well, after the first few years it's pretty much up to you which dungeons you wish to do, or you can just go beat the final boss if you wish. Pretty much all up to you when you finish the game, can grind stats and loot to your hearts content.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By egg

Phantasy Star Online had 4-player splitscreen right?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeF

@MetalBaofu said:

You mentioned Secret of Mana so that just made me think of Legend of Mana. I think it got mixed reviews, but I remember enjoying it. You may have already thought of that one, because of the Secret of Mana connection, but that's all that I can think of at the moment.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2) supports two players as well. Play it with the fan-translation and some game pads and you're golden :)

Also, less than ideal but it exists: Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time. If you have it on DS and Wii, you can play together.

Apparently, Eternal Sonata has co-op as well.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stefan
    @Zenaxzd said:

Yep, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is what you're looking for. It's a hassle to set up unless you're a crazy person (such as myself), but it is certainly worth it when you get into the game and play. You need 1 GBA per player (normal or SP work fine, but the normal works better as a controller) and a set of GCN -> GBA cables for each player.

Anyway, game has amazing replay value, you control a young warrior from a town who has to go collect a macguffin to keep the town alive for another year. This involves you clearing 3 dungeons per "year" in game and that's pretty much that. There is little story and it is all about fighting dudes, crafting loot, stat gain, includes different classes, and so on. Some dungeons are not accessible every year and there are various cycles based on the year where the dungeon layout or enemies will be different which keeps it all pretty fresh. Game is very open ended as well, after the first few years it's pretty much up to you which dungeons you wish to do, or you can just go beat the final boss if you wish. Pretty much all up to you when you finish the game, can grind stats and loot to your hearts content.

Is it the same setup as for Four Swords Adventures? If so, I already have all the necessary hardware ^^
    Mr_Box

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr_Box

I found a great website for finding any game from the PlayStation 2 onwards including the first XBox but sadly not the GameCube called Co-Optimus. You can filter by console, genre, local or online co-op, pretty much everything, so I would check that out.

Link: http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure

@Stefan: It sure is. if you can play 4 swords you can play FFCC.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

Not exactly an RPG in the traditional story sense, but there's always Monster Hunter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.