Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Secret of Mana

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Aug 06, 1993

An action RPG for the Super Nintendo and the second game in the Seiken Densetsu series. Secret of Mana can be played by up to three players simultaneously, and is widely regarded as one of the system's finest games.

Secret of Mana is getting a 3D remake

• 58 results
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By ToxicAntidote

The classic SNES action RPG Secret of Mana is now being remade in three dimensions, and is announced to be released on PS4, PSVita and Steam on February 15 2018. What surprises me the most is that there's no word on a release for the Nintendo Switch. Since it's being released on PS4 I'll most likely get it there anyway, but it would make a lot more sense to also include the Switch on their list of available platforms.

What do you think about Secret of Mana getting a remake?

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I remember enjoying Secret of Mana as a kid, but I already forgot most about it. I hope this one is good and, if it's good, I hope it's successful so maybe they can make a good Chrono Trigger 3D remake.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

As one of my favourite games of all time, arguably my favourite Super Nintendo game, a large reason I have an iPhone, and the biggest reason I wanted a SNES Classic, I am SUPER excited about this. I really hope the limited edition announced for Japan comes out in the US and Europe too. It's also coming out on my birthday, so, it's like, fate :D

Look at those adorable little figurines!
    Look at those adorable little figurines!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Redhotchilimist

That looks like it's kinda cheaply made. Like, those are some ps3-looking graphics at the very least.

I tried checking out the original a few years ago because of the fantastic music and the mysterious atmosphere it had, but I was disappointed when the combat system was more awkward than expected. I remember being uncertain about my melee attacks and magic spells straight up pausing the game, which was real weird in a game with real-time movement. Might be interested depending on what they've changed, but I would've hoped for something that looked like the cover art, not like Tales of Symphonia HD.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@redhotchilimist said:

That looks like it's kinda cheaply made. Like, those are some ps3-looking graphics at the very least.

I tried checking out the original a few years ago because of the fantastic music and the mysterious atmosphere it had, but I was disappointed when the combat system was more awkward than expected. I remember being uncertain about my melee attacks and magic spells straight up pausing the game, which was real weird in a game with real-time movement. Might be interested depending on what they've changed, but I would've hoped for something that looked like the cover art, not like Tales of Symphonia HD.

Yeah I agree. Extremely disappointing. Secret of Mana is definitely my Top 3 SNES classics so seeing that they have implemented this sort of art style for it bums me out. It looks like that other Mana remake game from recent years, what was it, Adventures of Mana? Which is an iPhone game (also on Vita). Great. RIP Square Soft Enix.

johnnyspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dazzhardy: Oh lord, I neeeeeed that. Having leveled everyone to 99 on the SNES, I might have to put a few hours into the remake...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know about that chibi looking art style with the giant heads. And that English voice acting, oh god. I hope there are Japanese audio options.

I remember really liking Secret of Mana as a teenager, but then going back to it a couple of years ago I found the combat to be real frustrating at points. Hopefully they have revamped some of that stuff.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope they still use the top down camera angle for the actual gameplay. The graphics don't look too impressive but I can probably deal with it.

Hopefully it will come with the ability to play with my friends online.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@officer_falcon: I also thought about the ability to play co-op online, but I don't know how they would handle the fact that you don't get your first party member until a bit later on in the game. It would definitely be a cool feature though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Was the timing of the Mana episode of Retronauts a coincidence? Weird.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Huh. That voice acting is... something, but otherwise this should be good, right?

Actually, I'm going to wait for reviews. My instincts are telling me to be wary, despite the original being a top 5 SNES game for me.

I also would have preferred the 3rd game / 2nd Secret of Mana / whatever as that one actually had some plot and interesting choices.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By onarum

FUCK. YEAH!

I actually might like Secret of Mana more than I do Chrono Trigger.

Bummer they didn't show any gameplay, I hope this turns out good

@viking_funeral: Seiken Densetsu 3 is indeed better, maybe if this one does good they'll do that one as well, would be pretty awesome

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll totally try and get it for PC (or vita). I still wish it would come to the switch but hey if I can get it in english it's still worth it to me.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the original SNES release, and really want to replay it. No longer having a copy, I was hoping that the Seiken Densetsu Collection on Switch would get a translation and release in the US, but I doubt that's going to happen. The next best option now seems like waiting in line/beating someone with a stick to get a SNES Classic upon retail release. This remake looks like a disaster (based on what's shown in the trailer), and no one should reward companies for these types of abominations by spending money on them.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio: I do not understand what you've seen in this trailer to come to such a harsh conclusion.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

Kinda bummed this isn't the better Seiken Densetsu 3. Tired of just SoM1 getting all the attention when only Japan got actual sequels.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: The graphical treatment looks like trash, for one. If they want to do a polygonal remake of the game, why have it look like something that could have been rendered on PS2? It's not like it's a nostalgic choice, since the original was all sprite based anyway. Granted, it's coming to Vita, so they have to be somewhat conservative in the quality, but this just looks bad by any modern standard. The voice work also sounds like something straight out of the Resident Evil era of voice acting. If they're going to show a whopping 30 seconds of footage, maybe show some that doesn't quite so closely resemble garbage?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno I like the look of it quite a bit. Seems like a style that works just fine for what the Mana games are.

Voice acting just sounds like some anime voice acting to me, I've long accepted it.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite games, so I am excited for it. I don't entirely love the new look which reminds me of the Vita remake they did for the original Mana game. Either way, I am still going to be picking this one up.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks fine, not my first choice of style for a remake but honestly, it would have to look horrendous for me to not be excited for a remake of one of my absolute favorite games. Voice acting seems hit or miss right now. That first line is pretty bad but the second seemed alright. I'm pretty sure I read there will be dual audio so if it does end up being really bad I'll just switch it.

Boy am I excited though, this came out of nowhere. Goddamn that Fear of the Heavens orchestration at the start of the trailer giving me them sweet nostalgia chills.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and for anyone that hasn't seen the other screenshots floating around...reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy IV DS remake.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: The character models look better from the top down perspective. I like that the map in the upper right corner is using the original pixel art.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

One of my biggest "what if" moments was when a local grocery store was liquidating their SNES game stock from the tiny little rental part at the front and I had the choice between Secret of Mana and Earthbound. Not knowing anything about either one I chose SoM, which I enjoyed, but I think I would have liked Earthbound more.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@theblue said:

Oh and for anyone that hasn't seen the other screenshots floating around...reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy IV DS remake.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I'm happy to see that the gameplay is still top-down camera, but with 3D textures.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Secret of Mana is alright, kind of comically overrated though. I guess the Action RPG elements were semi-new for the time though. The thing I remember most is eating fucking amazing pizza that had refried beans instead of tomato sauce while watching my brother play it when I was ~6-8ish.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Joe_McCallister

This is the game I was most excited about being on the SNES classic - I've played it a handful of times since my youth but every time I seem to either bounce off it or just not have time. I'm probably over-nostalgic so I'm glad it's getting a remaster/remake so a new gen can see what it was like, but for me it's in the "neat" category while I stare at a backlog that's so huge it makes me cringe when I buy a new game.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: That's pretty much every JRPG except Final Fantasy as this point. Look at Persona.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm all for it. Kids today need decent games.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly saw this thread title as 'Sonic Mania is getting a 3D remake' and thought it was a very strange move.

This makes a lot more sense.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nnickers

Ok I never played the original so I'll ask...did the dragon-thing in this trailer have a head of hair?

This is really my only take-away here.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genuinely looking forward to this. After hearing the very recent Retronauts episode of it, I'm curious to see if they'll be able to improve upon the original's systems.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ungodly

@nnickers: that is how I remember the thing looking. I'm very happy about all of this.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Huh. That voice acting is... something, but otherwise this should be good, right?

Seriously, that is a terrible delivery for the first voiced line in your trailer. Why can't Square of all companies get better voice direction?

I've never gotten around to playing Secret of Mana, so maybe I'll play this if it turns out well, but I'd be more excited if it was a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I hope this doesn't suck. The screenshots posted above look great, but the sequence in the trailer makes it look too "baby-ish" and too clean. Bit weirded out by the 3d remake not being on 3DS or any Nintendo system.

@viking_funeral said:

Seriously, that is a terrible delivery for the first voiced line in your trailer. Why can't Square of all companies get better voice direction?

I've never gotten around to playing Secret of Mana, so maybe I'll play this if it turns out well, but I'd be more excited if it was a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake.

Hard to deliver the vocal goods when the dialogue writing is hokey and cliche. A JRPG problem that's been around since forever. Only made worse when they moved to having audio dialogue from FFX onwards.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, that voice over is pretty cringey. I think I would have preferred HD sprites and no voice acting. I love Secret of Mana, though, so it is cool to see it get some attention.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EchoEcho

I have a real soft spot in my heart for Secret of Mana; it was the first RPG I ever played, and I have fond memories of going through the entire game with my brother when we were young. Played through the entire game again with my wife several years ago, too, and still enjoyed it.

That said, I'm leery of this remake. Considering how shitty everything Mana-series related has been post-PS1, I'm not convinced Square is interested in giving this the attention and care it deserves. That voice acting certainly doesn't make a good first impression, and the 3D treatment looks underwhelming. Were it a 3DS game I might be alright with it, but as a PS4/Vita/PC release they could do so much more. Something really pretty and stylized that better evokes the concept art for the original game, with a higher poly count and high-res textures, and smooth animation. What they went with is perhaps somewhat faithful to the literal look of the original spritework, but less faithful, I think, to what the original art direction was trying to evoke.

I'll probably end up playing through this with my wife or something, so hopefully the gameplay will be good. Maybe if it sells well enough they'll finally release a version of Seiken Densetsu 3?

Edit: Also, quality of the voice acting aside, wasn't the main character in this game mostly silent? That's probably at least part of why the line delivery in this made me cringe even more.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be better to re-release the original keeping everything exactly the same except the music doesn't cut out when you attack enemies.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be better to re-release the original keeping everything exactly the same except the music doesn't cut out when you attack enemies.

Maybe also re-do the script so that it's not missing most of it.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kid_gloves

I would really like instead of doing kinda mobile looking remakes of these classic games they would take the original art assets and faithfully recreate these classic games, maybe adding more animation frames and tweaking the view so it fits 16:9 tvs..... fix any slowdown etc. I guess what I want instead of remakes are definitive editions, kinda like what we get of ps2 era games on ps3/ps4 where its the same game just with better frame rate and adjusted for modern tvs , updated controls, interface tweaks, etc.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my all time favorites. KInda was hoping for hand drawn 2d art when this finally happened.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll leave my memories of this game ensconced in my teenage years.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Oh cool, good to see the trailer managed to convey Secret of Mana's colorful whimsy when that's only 50% of the story. The ending to Secret of Mana FUCKED ME UP!

I was not ready for that!

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I hope this doesn't suck. The screenshots posted above look great, but the sequence in the trailer makes it look too "baby-ish" and too clean. Bit weirded out by the 3d remake not being on 3DS or any Nintendo system.

@thewildcard said:
    @viking_funeral said:

Hard to deliver the vocal goods when the dialogue writing is hokey and cliche. A JRPG problem that's been around since forever. Only made worse when they moved to having audio dialogue from FFX onwards.

Yes and no. Sure you can only elevate the source material so much, but good localization and voice acting can still be an asset, or at least not a liability. It's not like something like Etrian Oddyssey Untold or Persona Q has great original writing but they still have much better voice acting than Bravely Default or World of Final Fantasy or this apparently. A lot of Sqaure games have these gratingly broad takes like late 90/early 2000s anime, which would be one thing if you're Gaijinworks or something, but when you're supposed to be the biggest most mainstream jrpg producer like Square? I don't get it.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dstopia

I was super excited when I clicked the trailer and then immediately bummed out about the quality of the textures/shading and the awful voice acting. What the actual fuck, Square.

Also, Secret of Mana is vastly inferior to Seiken Densetsu 3, don't @ me.

GrizzlyButts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It looks like the same team that made that remake of the first Mana game. I mean I'm excited to play it regardless of how crap it looks. Was planning on replaying it on the snes classic too. Why Square doesn't give Seiken Densetsu 3 it's day in the sun has baffled me for decades. It is the best game in the series.

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Errr, I really don't like the 3D models. I was also planning to re-play it on the SNES classic, but I guess that's not going to happen.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelnox said:

Errr, I really don't like the 3D models. I was also planning to re-play it on the SNES classic, but I guess that's not going to happen.

Like @theblue said it reminds me of that FF IV remake which is not a compliment from me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ripelivejam said:

KInda was hoping for hand drawn 2d art when this finally happened.

Of course but this is modern Square we are talking about.

They remade FF games that were in a big part so popular for their art and changed and ruined a lot of it. Secret of Mania is very similar in that regard as a game artistically and they did the same thing again. They are disappointing at just about every turn for me with what they put out now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.