Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Section 8: Prejudice

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 20, 2011

Best known for its "burn in" spawn mechanic, Section 8: Prejudice is a first person shooter with a focus on large maps, control points, deployable vehicles and structures, and dynamic combat missions (DCMs).

Section 8: Prejudice Will Be A Digital-Exclusive $15 Release

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    TimeGate Studios' multiplayer-focused shooter Section 8 was a full-priced, boxed product that also saw a digital release over PSN. Its sequel, Section 8: Prejudice, won't see the light of day on any physical store shelves. TimeGate has announced that Prejudice will be a digital-exclusive release, set to hit various platforms for a unique and particularly low price of $14.99. 

According to studio CEO Adel Chaveleh, TimeGate is "challenging the notion of how much quality and value" that it can pack into a downloadable FPS. And as you might have guessed by reading that statement, Prejudice is being marketed as a full-featured title. Here's what the latest press release says: 

Prejudice is a full-featured, sci-fi-themed, first-person shooter that delivers a 5-hour, story-driven single-player campaign, robust online multiplayer for up to 32 players across a variety of maps, and a new 4-player co-op game mode, entitled Swarm. As if that wasn't enough, all game modes and content will be playable offline, as the $14.99 product also includes full bot support.    

No Caption Provided

== TEASER == TimeGate has also pledged to support Prejudice with regular DLC post-release, which might help make up for whatever is being lost by not charging a traditional (or higher) price for the title. 

Prejudice is slated to hit in Q1 2011 across the Xbox 360's, PS3's, digital portals, and various PC digital distributors like, specifically, Steam and Games for Windows Live. Here's a gameplay montage to get you familiar with Prejudice if you haven't been following it too closely: 

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    TimeGate Studios' multiplayer-focused shooter Section 8 was a full-priced, boxed product that also saw a digital release over PSN. Its sequel, Section 8: Prejudice, won't see the light of day on any physical store shelves. TimeGate has announced that Prejudice will be a digital-exclusive release, set to hit various platforms for a unique and particularly low price of $14.99. 

According to studio CEO Adel Chaveleh, TimeGate is "challenging the notion of how much quality and value" that it can pack into a downloadable FPS. And as you might have guessed by reading that statement, Prejudice is being marketed as a full-featured title. Here's what the latest press release says: 

Prejudice is a full-featured, sci-fi-themed, first-person shooter that delivers a 5-hour, story-driven single-player campaign, robust online multiplayer for up to 32 players across a variety of maps, and a new 4-player co-op game mode, entitled Swarm. As if that wasn't enough, all game modes and content will be playable offline, as the $14.99 product also includes full bot support.    

No Caption Provided

== TEASER == TimeGate has also pledged to support Prejudice with regular DLC post-release, which might help make up for whatever is being lost by not charging a traditional (or higher) price for the title. 

Prejudice is slated to hit in Q1 2011 across the Xbox 360's, PS3's, digital portals, and various PC digital distributors like, specifically, Steam and Games for Windows Live. Here's a gameplay montage to get you familiar with Prejudice if you haven't been following it too closely: 

Baziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Baziel

Is this not an old game?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Getz

strange...

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @Baziel: It's a sequel to an old game.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

I'm surprised it's predecessor managed to make enough of an impact to warrant a second shot! 

However i am also more than willing to be proven wrong - that sounds like a lot of content for the price point! and assuming the content is enjoyable to actually play this time, they might be in with a shout.! 
    have at you timegate, hit me with what you got!

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner

This seems like a really good choice for them.  Section 8 seemed cool when I played in the beta, but at no time was I willing to spend 50 bucks on it.  And apparently, nobody else was either.

Hopefully this will get out to more people than its predecessor, and the accessible point of entry is probably going to play a big factor in that.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Seedofpower

Wow only 15$ weird. Maybe ill actually get this.

Maybe....

coreytn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coreytn81

I tried the demo of Section 8 and saw what they were going for, and I liked some of the mechanics such as dropping in to battle from the sky and whatnot, but the heart of the game was combat and it just felt too loose and lacked impact. This seems like the perfect move for the to take as I couldn't see many people paying 60 bones for an unproven concept, especially one thats a sequel to a similarly themed, and less than successful game.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Glad they are getting to make another one. I wanted to play the first one, but I wasn't about to pay $50-$60 for it given how old the combat looks like it could get real fast.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EgoCheck616

Good. Obviously their commitment to digital distribution with the first game paid off.  
    I hope this ends up being a purchase I don't regret.

Quickdry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quickdry

I wonder if by "single player campaign" they mean some story on top of bot mode multiplayer, or if it'll actually have a full campaign since the first game was multiplayer only (I think?)
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I think this is a very smart decision that will attract a lot of people who would otherwise overlook a game like this if it was a full-priced retail product. I know that this has gained my interest at least. I just hope it plays better than the original.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By Eribuster

This is a crazy price that I didn't expect. I played the beta of the first game and this one and it was moderately fun. The inclusion of bots appeal to me since I miss the days of non-campaign comp stomping in first-person shooters.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hitchenson

I didn't half expect him to go "War. War never changes."

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SSully

I thought the demo for the first one was fun, i just couldnt pull myself to spend so much money on it. I think 15 dollars is more then justified for what they are offering, i may have to give it a shot!

Maotou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maotou
    I remember playing the first Section 8 when it was on sale on the PSN (back when they had it for half the original price). It was a solid FPS overall and enjoyable but it's not something I would have paid $50 or $60 for. For what's being offered here and at $15, I think I'll be picking this one up. 
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Donos

This continues to restore my faith in the video games industry. Section 8 just wasn't broad enough to support the $60 price tag, so going downloadable seems like the right move to make.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first game was a lot of fun. I hope people don't dismiss this sequel without giving it a try. The visual style isn't attractive, but the interplay between the various game mechanics are a real treat.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

probably for the best since it comes off a little generic but is pretty fun.  15 bucks is a good deal me thinks.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

For $15, it's a no-brainer to pick it up.  How long will the multiplayer last, though?  If they can prove something at $15, then maybe we have a new killer app.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By buft

Fuck! might actually consider getting it at that price and without having to deal with the staff at my local game emporium of choice, seems pretty solid from what i have seen of it.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By FightMeNerd

You know what? I'm in.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This has been a strange year for games that no one really liked getting sequels no one asked for. Not to say anything about the quality of this product in development, as it seems fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well they will actually get a purchase from me this time.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pwnasaurus

so the trailer with all its long drawn outness, basically is saying... war never changes?

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jtman54179
    @Quickdry: First game did have a story. Mostly game modes to show you maps and teach you combat basics but it was there
    BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BigLemon

So pumped

SupberUber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SupberUber

I'm not into the FPS genre, but I might give this one a go since its got bot support and a campaign. 
    And because I want to support a move that may encourage other devs to do the same.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tanstaafl

Good call, 
    Section 8 was good but I couldn't convince any of my friends to get it with me at full price, I eventually got it on sale from d2d for I think $15 so they've picked the right price point. 
    I hope this does well for them and more publishers realise they don't really need brick and mortar stores and they don't need to raise prices just to keep them happy.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By REDRUN

sounds like an awesome deal

Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Skrams

I know this will sound a lot like MNC ripped off TF2 debate, which I think it didn't, but jeez I get a Halo vibe from this. The assassination animation and the windmill stuck out to as the windmill was a thing in the background for Halo Reach, a stretch I know. The terrains also look very similar with snow and bumpy terrain with grass, also kind of a stretch. Just get a generic shooter taking some points from Halo Reach since that just released. 

I knew of the first one but then I just assumed it was a generic title that had space marines and looked to be mainly focused on multiplayer. This one looks to do the same and not trying to charge $50 for a mainly multiplayer game with bad single player. The little single player of what I saw from the last one looked like the single player they try to shoehorn in Unreal Tournaments. The guy with no mask although makes me hopeful they might actually make up a good story even if its short since this is only $15.   

I have this on PSN from when it was $5 on Amazon, I should probably play it but jeez its at the back of my mind and near the bottom of my backlog.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dedodido

I'm pretty sure if you want to be taken seriously as a studio you need to release trailers with a higher frame rate than 10 fps.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @buft said:
    " Fuck! might actually consider getting it at that price and without having to deal with the staff at my local game emporium of choice, seems pretty solid from what i have seen of it. "
    LOL. Why don't you just buy online? I never go to a store.

$15 is chickenfeed. I'll buy it & play it, but it'll have to have
    a single-player campaign. If it doesn't, I don't really need
    another multi-player FPS-only game. I can go play Shadowrun
    if I need that.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By buft
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @buft said:
    " Fuck! might actually consider getting it at that price and without having to deal with the staff at my local game emporium of choice, seems pretty solid from what i have seen of it. "

Long delivery times to ruralish areas here and i dont have a credit card, nothing simpler than going to a shop otherwise i totally would, also i hate missing out on getting a game on day one should it be delayed for any reason.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By fox01313

I'd prefer something like this for more budget level games, after playing the original one it really wasn't all that great or bad but in smaller scale game it might actually work out okay. Still will not get this though as stated, the original one was pretty much Unreal Tournament3 with a little amount of Crackdown superrunning for the gameplay which wasn't really all that interesting to me. Hope others find it fun & at least the lower price teamed with most people not familiar with the first one should help it find a fanbase.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By maddman60620

I'd rather see a game like Sin be redone and released like this across systems then this

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer a nice grilled cheese sammich.

StickyMicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StickyMicky

Lots of people seamed to enjoy the beta and then never bothered to buy the game. 

Never played the beta but i did download the demo that was on XBL it felt a little iffy to me so i held off the purchase till the price came down, and it came down pretty fast! 

When i picked it up for 10 of my finest english pounds i loaded up the disc and found NOBODY at all on XBL playing the thing, not even a smidge of a sausage. 

NOBODY! 

The bot matches were a bit crap, so i think i played the utter nonsense that was the "campaign" and then traded it in.

Avatar image for blood_for_the_blood_god
    Blood_for_the_blood_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

should have had ron perlman

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By GozerTC

I enjoyed the first one on the PC, but the console versions were slow and clunky.  I might get this on Steam when it comes out but who knows.   

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @Quickdry said:
    " I wonder if by "single player campaign" they mean some story on top of bot mode multiplayer, or if it'll actually have a full campaign since the first game was multiplayer only (I think?) "
    They said that the single player "won't be a training mode for multiplayer like the first one"
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Alphazero

War. War never changes. 

Great price if it's really a full featured game. We. Shall. See. And by "we", I mean, "I'll wait until Jeff gets Brad to do the review."

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @buft said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @buft said:
     Long delivery times to ruralish areas here and i dont have a credit card, nothing simpler than going to a shop otherwise i totally would, also i hate missing out on getting a game on day one should it be delayed for any reason. "
    I just hit the backlog. I guess your backlog isn't very
    large.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By FesteringNeon

I picked up section 8 on psn when it was on sale for 9.99 (for a week) and I can honestly say, got my monies worth. It's great to have a decent shooter on my console w/o requiring a disk. If this rivals or is better than section 8, i'll gladly pay the extra $5 in hopes more great games follow suit in this bargain fashion.
    Avatar image for myoldfriendunderagedrinking
    MyOldFriendUnderageDrinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pass, Section 8 just didnt do it for me
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#47  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

the original Section 8 is €7.99 on Steam now. That's a great price for the game. I loved it during beta but I couldn't justify paying €50 for it or any other game. So I didn't. Had it launched at around €25 or so it would probably have been a lot more successful.
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

let me summarize the trailer for you:

War.....war never changes....

BigNoseChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BigNoseChimp
    @ponchaxis:@ponchaxis said:

" Even at 15 dollars, this game still looks way too generic. "

I think one of the problems with the first one is that the visuals were completely generic, but once you got into the multiplayer it turned out to be far from generic. It set a few precedents with the way it handled the loadouts, and the ability to dive into any part of the map. The design decision to effectively remove one-hit kills made the gameplay naturally very team-oriented: there was real strength in numbers and so dividing teams up into 2-3 man factions, each with separate tasks (eg; defend a point, take out air support for an area, take out control points, etc) became very satisfying. The downside to that of course is that head-shots felt neutered, however, as has been said before: headshots are ruining FPS's!

Definate buy for me.
    Frapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Frapple
    Absolutely loved the beta of Section 8, pre-ordered it, ended up not arriving so cancelled the order.

Only thing I heard from the first one is that the population was fairly low soon after release.

Definately picking this up - hopefully there will be a 4 pack on Steam :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.