Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega

Company »

Sega is a long-running Japanese company responsible for arcade hits like Space Harrier, home consoles like the Dreamcast, and franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sega Aim To Raise The Quality Of Sonic Games

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Sega of America's VP of Marketing Sean Ratcliffe has said the company are working on improving the quality of Sonic games:
    The quality is something that will be fixed over time. It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise,' and it magically happens. A lot of hard work goes into striving for quality. Interestingly, I think Sonic Unleashed was very well received by the kids. There was some talk about the werehog aspect, the slower pacing and more combat-oriented gameplay, but when we go out and test this stuff and sit down with the consumers, kids actually like that.

I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog associate Sonic more with 2-D side-scrolling super fast, and they liked the daytime gameplay, but when it came to the slower paced gameplay they were fairly critical of that, and that's fine - they have their opinions

- Sega of America's VP of Marketing Sean Ratcliffe

@ IndustryGamers

SolidestChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SolidestChimp

its been how many years and they only get the point now o.0?

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Alex_V

A marketing man in America is just the hero needed to improve the quality of Sonic. Apparently his masterplan involves flying over to Japan using his magic marketing cape.

Or perhaps this is just spin...

SolidestChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidestChimp

all they need to do is remake sonic 1,2,3 and call it sonic hd all in 1 download on the xbla and psn 2d sonic game very fast nice music looks great no warehog >.>

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilTwin
    "It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise."

Wait, why not? 
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog should pull the trigger by this point

Alright
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us
    @SolidestChimp said:
    " its been how many years and they only get the point now o.0? "
    Its one more step to realising they should have killed Sonic off and buried him. Its a slow process. Expect more Mario cross overs and crappy Werehog titles that those crazy kids love before they realise we have known for a long time already.
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daryl

Sonic the Shadow Complex.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Disgaeamad

" I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog associate Sonic more with 2-D side-scrolling super fast, and they liked the daytime gameplay, but when it came to the slower paced gameplay they were fairly critical of that, and that's fine - they have their opinion."
    It's depressing that he doesn't even realise the appeal of the franchise when it first appeared. The games weren't just about speed; they were about the combination of the speed, platforming and combat that were mixed together almost seamlessly. You had to know when speed was good and when it would mess everything up, unlike in the newer games where it's just constant running without any sort of challenge.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, they really should take a step back, look at good PLATFORMERS and try to add their spark of speed to that sort of gameplay. Designing a game solely around speed just isn't cutting it, and Sonic never was simply about speed alone anyway... Super Sonic Galaxy would be so good :(

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They're going to have to do a lot to raise the quality of Sonic.  He's gone from being a beloved mascot to a washed up games character on par with Crash Bandicoot that stars in nothing but awful games. 

The best thing to do with Sonic is to leave him alone for a few years, bring him back when everyone has forgotten all the crap and spend that time working on the single greatest platformer ever.  No stupid gimmicks, no terrible level design, no moving so fast you're dead before you see the jump..  Just good old fashioned Sonic.  Mario made the jump into 3D just fine, and even the first Sonic Adventure was on the right track..  Go back to what you did there. (with less playable characters)

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I never really understood the harsh criticism of Sonic Unleashed I thought it was a fine game.  There is some problems with it, but it's not so much of a problem that the game is consider broken like how critics are betraying it to be. As a matter of fact, they're like that with all the 3D Sonic games. The only 3D Sonic game that fans and critics agree that is a terrible game is Sonic 06.

I think fans have come to the conclusion that critics hate Sonic now. No matter how good or improvement it is, they consider it to be utter crap. Also, I get the feeling that some of the people on this site calling the 3D Sonic games crap like Sonic Unleashed,haven't even played the game and they're just saying it's crap because of what critics have about it. Seriously, play the damn game and then see what you think.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#13  Edited By joey

But how many chances have we given Sonic?
    Are you sure we can trust SEGA this time?

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#14  Edited By Eder
    @Kou_Leifoh: EXACTLY dude I agree 100%
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By JonathanMoore

There not going to do anything. They could easily make a Sonic game the equivalent of Sonic Adventure, but they are more interested in getting new generation Sonic fans to buy shit...

Unfortunately.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru

If they want to improve the quality, they need to stop forcing the employees-- who have no desire to work on Sonic games-- to create them... Or at least give them a break to help create new innovative ideas, constantly pushing out new titles is leaving very little room for creativity. If over half the staff on a Sonic game aren't eager to work on it to begin with, it's not surprising that the games would not be good.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Cerza

The last time SEGA said this we got Sonic the Werewolf and it was the worst Sonic game yet.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By sgjackson

Interestingly, I think Sonic Unleashed was very well received by the kids. There was some talk about the werehog aspect, the slower pacing and more combat-oriented gameplay, but when we go out and test this stuff and sit down with the consumers, kids actually like that.
    The fact that he says this basically tells me that they don't really give a shit, because it sells well to a demographic that isn't us.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

I say we all chip in and hire a team of Ninja's to take out Sonic Team.

They are a evil that must be squished.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " I never really understood the harsh criticism of Sonic Unleashed I thought it was a fine game.  There is some problems with it, but it's not so much of a problem that the game is consider broken like how critics are betraying it to be. As a matter of fact, they're like that with all the 3D Sonic games. The only 3D Sonic game that fans and critics agree that is a terrible game is Sonic 06. I think fans have come to the conclusion that critics hate Sonic now. No matter how good or improvement it is, they consider it to be utter crap. Also, I get the feeling that some of the people on this site calling the 3D Sonic games crap like Sonic Unleashed,haven't even played the game and they're just saying it's crap because of what critics have about it. Seriously, play the damn game and then see what you think. "
    2006 definitely takes the biscuit, but Unleashed and even Heroes were not much better.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @WinterSnowblind: Nah, Sonic 2006 isn't the worst. I played and finished Shadow the Hedgehog, and I can tell you confidently that that game is total shit. There's no aiming system, Shadow controls like a cheetah on ice, the camera is still ass, and the entire game is filled with forced edginess.
    LightGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LightGaia

Sonic Unleashed was an improvement. Really, the constant complaining implies people don't even like Sonic anymore. Can't blame SEGA for aiming towards children seeing how they are less jaded.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By PureRok
    @CoolDrMoney said:
    "
    I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog should pull the trigger by this point

Alright
    "
    I agree with that. Sonic has always sucked, and I don't know what anybody who ever liked Sonic is expecting.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@PureRok said:
    " @CoolDrMoney said:
    "

Alright
    "
    I agree with that. Sonic has always sucked, and I don't know what anybody who ever liked Sonic is expecting. "
    Sonic 1 and 2 were fucking amazing, also Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 imo were great to, unlike Zelda, NOW THERES A SHITTY GAME : O
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Reuben
    @SolidestChimp said:
    " its been how many years and they only get the point now o.0? "
    Honestly..
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @CoolDrMoney said:
    "

Alright
    "
    I agree with that. Sonic has always sucked, and I don't know what anybody who ever liked Sonic is expecting. "
    Sonic 1 and 2 were fucking amazing, also Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 imo were great to, unlike Zelda, NOW THERES A SHITTY GAME : O "
    Zing!

I never had the chance to play Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, but I have heard great things about them.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

They need to start making 2D Sonic games again then.

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Urmean

Sega?
    Actually working?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.