Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 22, 2019

An action game by FromSoftware, the makers of Dark Souls.

Sekiro is getting a big patch in October with boss replays, ghosts, and more

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I never beat Sekiro and probably won't but some of this sounds interesting!

Since the release of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice on March 22, 2019, over five million copies of FromSoftware’s epic adventure set within a mythical feudal Japan have found its way into the hands of a community that welcomed the challenge of becoming the “One-armed Wolf.”

On October 29, FromSoftware is releasing a free update for all players that will introduce several new features to the game. These include the ability to rematch bosses, tackle boss gauntlets, perform player movement recordings, and more.

Reflections and Gauntlets of Strength – Old and New Tests for the One-Armed Wolf

The Sculptor’s Idols are not only places of healing, but also tools for self-reflection. The Wolf felled many a foe in his journey for revenge, and in reflecting on these memories, he can gain an even greater sense of understanding and pride for his victories.

With this update, you will be able to take part in Reflections of Strength; re-matches against any previously defeated boss that can be accessed through any Sculptor’s Idol. These Reflections may help in preparing for Gauntlets of Strength, single-life challenges that will truly test only the bravest warriors… or the most foolish.

As by definition of a Gauntlet, if the Wolf dies at any point, he must start over from the beginning. You like a challenge, right?

A Wolf in Different Clothing – New Outfits

Sculptor’s Idols will also offer the ability to change the Wolf’s outfits, with three to become available with this update, including “Tengu” and “Old Ashina Shinobi. Two of these outfits are unlocked via Gauntlets, while the third is unlocked just by beating the game once.

All outfits are purely cosmetic in nature: They are accoutrements to your achievements within Sekiro.

Remnants – Recordings for Recovery

Whether you are a new player ready to experience Sekiro for the first time or are gearing up to face past challenges once more, expect a brand-new player movement and text recording system that could aid you and your fellow wolves on your journey.

Remnants are recordings of what a player does in-game for up to 30 seconds at a time and are available for use after the game’s tutorial. After a player records their Remnant – whether it is an epic takedown of an enemy or a flawless demonstration of a tricky movement technique – it can be uploaded along with a written message so that other community members can play it back. Through these Remnants, one could hope that they or others may gain the knowledge and further insight to overcome their current obstacle. For those seeking ultimate guidance on traversing treacherous areas, or seeking hidden alcoves or curious cubby-holes, these records may prove a blessing from the gods.

If a community member watches and then rates a Remnant, the owner of it will have their HP recover for free, allowing them to get back into the fight quicker without the use of a Sculptor’s Idol, or consumable items such as Healing Gourds.

All the above will be available as part of the October 29 free update.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I had given up hope on new content for this game so this is an extremely welcome surprise. Great excuse to keep playing.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Being able to replay old bosses was something I really wanted after beating the game, so this is great news. And free! Definitely going to have to play it again now.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Those reflections and gauntlet of strength sounds like a good way to gain experience for the skill trees. So I can finally 100% Sekiro just need to fill out the skill trees but it just takes so much grinding.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I've loved all the Soulsborne games, but always rely on summoning others for help. This has what's prevented me from trying Sekiro.

This new patch sounds pretty cool though!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

Kind of curious to see what the performance might be on an Xbox Series X as the One X versions frame rate is fine, but not ideal, especially for this type of game where reaction matters. That'd be the main reason why I'd try a new game plus on it. Playing Ghost of Tsushima, and just yesterday playing Bloodborne again has made me start thinking of Sekiro. That said, Sekiro is my least favorite difficult FromSoft game as I wasn't as into the world or variety of enemies/bosses compared to the Soulsborne games. It being enhanced beyond a potential lock of 60fps on the Series X/PS5 would be cool.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ntm: I was actually really shocked and disappointed with how bad the framerate got on the XB1X at times.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it. Just when I was out, they pull me back in.

NinjaPLEASE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NinjaPLEASE

why dont they patch that terrible camera and give the character a strafe for god sake.

and what kind of ninja lacks a kick or a grapple at least?? shhesh!

even ghost doesnt have a grapple/throw!?!?

what a ninja fail

NinjaPLEASE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyrusraven: its a terrible shame they made the game so grindy

i bet the next one has microtransations

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

That Remnant system seems pretty neat.

Finally a worthy successor to Tenchu Z

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I actually went in fully committed to do at least one boss rush when this update came out, but I have gotten so rusty that I would probably have to replay parts of the game to get my skills back to what they need to be. Will probably do that someday, unless they make a Sekiro 2. I just want that tight, action-packed combat with those laser-focused hitboxes. It was just as good as I remember it was.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Efesell

Yeah I started playing this again thanks to A Certain Someone who Clearly Isn't Here and yeah game still whips ass and these new additions are good fun.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I can almost hear a katana endlessly whiffing another argument.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ghost_cat: I can almost hear two swords clashing as differences of opinion hopelessly clang against one another.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.