Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow Complex

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 19, 2009

Reluctant hero Jason Fleming investigates a hidden underground complex to rescue his girlfriend Claire in this Metroid-style action-adventure game.

The Bad Parts of Shadow Complex...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By deFacto

Well, I've been on Giantbomb for a pretty long time now without an account, and now that I've got one, I figure I might as well start posting my opinions on stuff here. I've never had a blog, so this might be interesting.  
    Now, I'm going to keep in mind that this game IS only a downloadable game and should be judged as such, but I'm not saying that Shadow Complex is bad in anyway to begin with. It's fully worth your 15 bucks and everyone who loves games should truly have a great time with it. However, while all the great parts of Shadow Complex are mentioned by everyone, I thought it would be useful to say some not so greatly designed parts.  

Jason Flemming, armed with 8,000,000 grenades. 
    First, is the upgrades you recieve through the game. While the sheer amount of upgrades and collectibles through the game is great, I thought the actual upgrades THEMSELVES could have been more creatively done. Sure, Armor Upgrades, Health Upgrades and the Passkeys (which lead to the Fusion Helmet) are good ideas for character upgrades, and are all very much necessary. However, I felt I truly didn't need 70 grenades to roll around with, especially when i had 70 missiles rolling around with me too, and a save room behind me that intantly refills them. In short, all of the weapon packs were useless, and apart from the armor, health, and passkeys, I felt my only motivation for getting the upgrades was to get achievments. Also, If I was restriced to my amount of missiles and grenades, I might also be motivated enough to be more tactical in combat. The boss fights could actually have strategy, instead of just  being a missile spam-fest. I could probably think of more creative upgrades. Howbout, instead of more grenades, we can make the impact of the granades bigger? You could do the same with missiles, maybe make the foam gun last longrt, the hookshot longer, ect.  

I understand that while looking through the map for upgrades, having a lot of missiles to whipe out the competition is necessary, so then we could have a rare unlimited weapons upgrade near the end of the game to help out with that.    

Also, the gold bars are a cool idea, but i hated that the weapons carried over through playthroughs. If I wanted to replay the game completely like the first time, I would have to pick up the pistol in the armory, then when i got a new weapon in the storyline, I would have to wait to get back to the armory so i could pick up the gold version, since the game would assume i wanted the pistol the whole time and wouldnt switch to the new weapon. Would it be so hard to be able to choose between the two, or even have all the gold weapons to swap through at any time?  

I also didn't like the way the map opened up at level 20. It took all the exploration out after the first playthrough. 

Besides that though, I really enjoyed Shadow Complex. 

Also, I would like some DLC that includes more levels like in the Proven Grounds. Those were a lot of fun.
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By deFacto

Well, I've been on Giantbomb for a pretty long time now without an account, and now that I've got one, I figure I might as well start posting my opinions on stuff here. I've never had a blog, so this might be interesting.  
    Now, I'm going to keep in mind that this game IS only a downloadable game and should be judged as such, but I'm not saying that Shadow Complex is bad in anyway to begin with. It's fully worth your 15 bucks and everyone who loves games should truly have a great time with it. However, while all the great parts of Shadow Complex are mentioned by everyone, I thought it would be useful to say some not so greatly designed parts.  

First, is the upgrades you recieve through the game. While the sheer amount of upgrades and collectibles through the game is great, I thought the actual upgrades THEMSELVES could have been more creatively done. Sure, Armor Upgrades, Health Upgrades and the Passkeys (which lead to the Fusion Helmet) are good ideas for character upgrades, and are all very much necessary. However, I felt I truly didn't need 70 grenades to roll around with, especially when i had 70 missiles rolling around with me too, and a save room behind me that intantly refills them. In short, all of the weapon packs were useless, and apart from the armor, health, and passkeys, I felt my only motivation for getting the upgrades was to get achievments. Also, If I was restriced to my amount of missiles and grenades, I might also be motivated enough to be more tactical in combat. The boss fights could actually have strategy, instead of just  being a missile spam-fest. I could probably think of more creative upgrades. Howbout, instead of more grenades, we can make the impact of the granades bigger? You could do the same with missiles, maybe make the foam gun last longrt, the hookshot longer, ect.  

I understand that while looking through the map for upgrades, having a lot of missiles to whipe out the competition is necessary, so then we could have a rare unlimited weapons upgrade near the end of the game to help out with that.    

Also, the gold bars are a cool idea, but i hated that the weapons carried over through playthroughs. If I wanted to replay the game completely like the first time, I would have to pick up the pistol in the armory, then when i got a new weapon in the storyline, I would have to wait to get back to the armory so i could pick up the gold version, since the game would assume i wanted the pistol the whole time and wouldnt switch to the new weapon. Would it be so hard to be able to choose between the two, or even have all the gold weapons to swap through at any time?  

I also didn't like the way the map opened up at level 20. It took all the exploration out after the first playthrough. 

Besides that though, I really enjoyed Shadow Complex. 

Also, I would like some DLC that includes more levels like in the Proven Grounds. Those were a lot of fun.
    walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By walreese55

Wrong. Shadow Complex wasted my $15 bucks. If this is one of the best games on XBLA, I'm going to stick to buying retail games.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @brainboy77 said:
    " Wrong. Shadow Complex wasted my $15 bucks. If this is one of the best games on XBLA, I'm going to stick to buying retail games. "
    Really? Why do you dislike it so much?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan
    @JJWeatherman said:
    @brainboy77 said:
    " Wrong. Shadow Complex wasted my $15 bucks. If this is one of the best games on XBLA, I'm going to stick to buying retail games. "
    Really? Why do you dislike it so much?
    I would like to know this as well
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson
    @brainboy77 said:
    Yup. His opinion is wrong... 
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deFacto
    @brainboy77:  It's $15 dollars bud. Don't judge it like a 60$ game and then complain about wasting your money.
    LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidSwords
    @Br3adfan:
    He's answer will be,"Just because!"
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only glaring flaw I found that wasn't mentioned much in reviews is the erratic framerate. During sequences with a large amount of enemies on screen (and considering the game at hand, large usually means seven or eight) the framerate can dip to inexcusably low numbers. I'm quite certain this isn't just my 360 acting up on me, as I haven't played a game with framerate issues like this since Mass Effect.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @JacobForrest said:
    " The only glaring flaw I found that wasn't mentioned much in reviews is the erratic framerate. During sequences with a large amount of enemies on screen the framerate can dip to inexcusably low numbers. I'm quite certain this isn't just my 360 acting up on me, as I haven't played a game with framerate issues like this since Mass Effect. "
    It's not just you. I missed a couple jumps just to fall to my death because of the framerate. It only happened a couple times though so I can live with it.
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deFacto
    @JacobForrest:  Really? The Framerate for me was near perfect the whole way through.
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deFacto: Hmm. I'd say it's inconsistent at best for me. It's pretty disruptive at times, though it seems to happen less when I backtrack.
    SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

The framerate was really solid for a while, but then I got into a heated battle at a couple points and it was terribly low, easily under 10fps. With that aside it is a great game, but I can see why some people might consider it a waste of money. The unlocking of items and levels keep you playing for a bit, but the gameplay itself isn't anything special.

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By walreese55
    @LiquidSwords: I hated it, dipshit, because for two reasons. A) The story was complete shit B) The ending was awkward as hell C) They give you awesome weapons but the stages don't allow you to use them to the most extent. D) The Complex is so goddamn confusing to traverse- they need to have a gta4-like gps system that gives you the fastest route to a place not predetermined. A blue line to anywhere you choose. E) Now, this is a minor flaw, but the graphics kept bugging out every now and then. There are your fucking reasons, you assholes
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By spankingaddict
    @brainboy77 said:
    " @LiquidSwords: I hated it, dipshit, because for two reasons. A) The story was complete shit B) The ending was awkward as hell C) They give you awesome weapons but the stages don't allow you to use them to the most extent. D) The Complex is so goddamn confusing to traverse- they need to have a gta4-like gps system that gives you the fastest route to a place not predetermined. A blue line to anywhere you choose. E) Now, this is a minor flaw, but the graphics kept bugging out every now and then. There are your fucking reasons, you assholes "
    yeah the story was crap,but everything else was fine... it has classic gameplay
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By skrutop

I didn't have a lot of framerate issues.  Sometimes coming out of hyperspeed caused a slowdown, but that was about it.

@deFacto:  I agree with a lot of your points, but it didn't really detract from any of the fun of the game to me.  Though the grenades and missiles aren't anything special, the foam gun is pretty damn cool.  I used the later playthroughs to see if I could up the difficulty and still make it through alive, so having the map exposed isn't really a problem, either.  I can see where I need to go, but it's a question of whether or not I can survive the enemies en route.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @brainboy77 said:
    " @LiquidSwords: I hated it, dipshit, because for two reasons. A) The story was complete shit B) The ending was awkward as hell C) They give you awesome weapons but the stages don't allow you to use them to the most extent. D) The Complex is so goddamn confusing to traverse- they need to have a gta4-like gps system that gives you the fastest route to a place not predetermined. A blue line to anywhere you choose. E) Now, this is a minor flaw, but the graphics kept bugging out every now and then. There are your fucking reasons, you assholes "
    Jeez such hostility. The story was adequate for a game such as this in my opinion as well as many reviewers opinions. I thought the ending was pretty awesome personally. I agree the complex is complicated at times but the more you play the more you learn the best routes and I found that rewarding. The graphics aren't great but what can you expect for $15? The fact that a downloadable game is using the UE3 at all is pretty sweet.  What do you mean they don't allow you to use the weapons to their full extent?
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Pie
    @deFacto: I completely agree with you. I watched a friend play it for about two hours  and he was going on about "Ihave to get all these grenade packs man!" then I asked "why? You already have 15 which is more than enough" he shut up.
    Thats really why I was put off buying the game...........
    MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
    @deFacto: ATDI was one of the best bands of the 90's!
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deFacto
    @brainboy77: Wow. You can have some opinions but don't tarnish a great website like this with your negativity. Nobody's being an asshole but you buddy, we just want to know why you hate the game. Get your panties out of a bundle and get  the fuck out.
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deFacto
    @MiamiRedHawks: YESSS! I love ATDI and Mars Volta! 
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @brainboy77 said:
    Wow bud.... 

your the dipshit, shadow complex is a great game if can see that then your the only asshole here..
    LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidSwords
    @brainboy77:
    LOL, Nerd Rage! At least you didn't respond using all caps.
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deFacto
    @brainboy77: Also, all your points on why the game is bad suck anyway. I hate people who give opinons on a $15 game like its 4 times that.  

I have a feeling your just saying things to get a reaction to say things so stupid. To which I say go do that on a website that truly deserves it.
    walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By walreese55
    @deFacto: A) No, the reasons I gave to why the game sucks are the exact problems I have with this game. Your rebuttal to my reasons is non-existant. 

I have a feeling your just saying things to get a reaction to say things so stupid. To which I say go do that on a website that truly deserves it.    
    deFacto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deFacto
    @brainboy77: Okay. My rebuttle to all your points are that the game is $15 , and expecting more in Shadow Complex than what you get is being greedy and not keeping the developer's intentions in mind. The graphics are good for a $15 game, the game HAS a story and an ending which is more than most $15 games can say, and the gameplay is classic, ESPECIALLY for a $15 game (at least IMO)

Also, I never said the game was bad in the blog, "dipshit". I said I loved the game but these problems are things that could have been fixed and it probably would have gotten away with selling for $20 if the developers wished. But considering it's $15, which you STILL don't seem to realize, i expect nothing more than what I got. 

Those are your reasons, "asshole".
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By vitor
    @deFacto:

Framerate was a mess during the turret sequences - fine for the rest of the game though (at least in my experience) 

vunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vunna
    @brainboy77 said:
    So ppl on GB are assholes because you were asked to backup your statement that this game sucked?  I have not gotten this game yet and was actually interested in your opinion on why you didn't like it at all when everyone else seems to love it. 

But with that response above, I decided that you are a massive douche and will ignore your complaints. 

Thanks for the "fucking reasons, you assholes".   

*shutters from douche chills*
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah, an option to start the game completely fresh without wiping your data/level would have been nice. And yes, sometimes the framerate dips, but it doesn't stay low -- this is completely because the game uses SSAO, which makes the game slow down a lot more with each additional polygon face (in which case, blame the 360 graphics chip, not the code). Also the music wasn't nearly as memorable as SOTN or Super Metroid's... but those were full priced games which had an established score well before they each came out. 

For $15, I have no real complaints.

/grabs some popcorn

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

I have a lot of problems with Shadow Complex bud, so you are not alone. Besides the game-ending glitch that I encountered that is still pissing me off, I thought that the shooting was imprecise when it went to 3D and I agree with you that grenade packs and missile packs were unnecessary. GamerGeek's blog lists most of my other complaints, and I thought it was a solid, fun game but nowhere the 5/5 material many have given it.

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SUBL1ME
    @brainboy77 said:
    So basically every "flaw" you found in the game all relates back to every single Metroidvania style game ever made because they are all exactly the same as Shadow Complex in the areas you mentioned outside of the graphics which buggy textures are practically inherent in every game made using Unreal Engine 3. Your complaints are more towards the genre than the game, and if you knew what the genre was all about and knew what Shadow Complex was there should be no excuse for your complaints you should have known better and have no right to complain. And if you didn't know what Shadow Complex was and were not familiar with the genre don't take it out on the game, because sure there are a ton of things wrong with SC but none of what you said specifically applies to the game, you could easily copy and paste your rant into a discussion about Symphony of the Night and it would be exactly the same.
    walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By walreese55

I'm going to stop commenting on this forum, cause you guys are just annoying

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Zereta

I've been playing the game like crazy lately, currently at the point where I've got my Friction Dampeners and I need to look for Claire aain. And I'm loving it. It has its negatives, definitely. But its still one badass experience. Worth the $60, if it were a retail game.

Von_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Von_Doom

First off... Congrats on getting people worked up with your first ever review/ blog entry

and secondly:  I totally agree with the bad points you mentioned. Don't get me wrong... I still love the game to little bloody bits, and it was totally worth my 1200 points. But some of it could have done with a bit more thinking. 

I played it on hardcore on my first run through... and found the biggest disappointment to be the boss fights. It was cake because most of the time you just find a sweet spot and the bosses can't even hurt you. I'm not sure if this was meant to be strategy or just bad AI. 

EDIT: At the Drive In rocks! Never got into Mars Volta. But Omar's solo stuff is pretty solid too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.