Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow Complex

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 19, 2009

Reluctant hero Jason Fleming investigates a hidden underground complex to rescue his girlfriend Claire in this Metroid-style action-adventure game.

The Story

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By breadfan

Did anyone else find Shadow Complex's story to be almost non existent?  I mean sure it explained why your running from point A to point B, but I still would have gotten the same enjoyment out of the game if there was no story at all.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot
    @Br3adfan said:
    " Did anyone else find Shadow Complex's story to be almost non existent?  I mean sure it explained why your running from point A to point B, but I still would have gotten the same enjoyment out of the game if there was no story at all. "
    It's probably because if they went really deep into the Empire story that the game is based off of, it runs the risk of alienating people. 

Instead the story focuses almost primarily on a random guy with a serious case of wrong place wrong time.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

The idea of the story was to hear it through Jason's perspective, that's why you never really get much depth.

Also it wasn't the best.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I haven't heard great things about Empire either. Whatever, Shadow Complex is a fun game with a bad story, so be it. I just skip through the cutscenes now anyway.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By tranquilchaos

I though the story sufficiently kept the game from being pointless. It gave some kind of motivation for running around and killing these people. Also I thought it was silly in a good way. Smarmy dude in a bad situation with decent motivation and awesome gameplay. Win. 

*EDIT* I would also say that the way they conveyed the arc of normal guy in over his head becoming a terrorist killing badass was the real fun in the game. You really feel the transition with the character as they empower you over time. I thought so anyhow.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yeah, I did not find it that engaging. The story was there....sort of. You overheard soldiers talking to one another but there was never that much in terms of plot development. Also, the voice acting was mediocre to say the least and any sense of storytelling was about non-existent. I have never read Empire but I doubt it was as thin as this.

Nonetheless, it's still a fun game. Just not the Second Coming of Christ or anything like that.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By spankingaddict

yeah its nothing amazing....

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By breadfan
    @RHCPfan24 said:

Yeah, I did not find it that engaging.

They could have added in some more personality instead of the really bad dialogue.  For example when you come up to one of those dudes wearing a mech suit

'You don't know how to use that armor'
    'Your right'

Fight
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online
    @tranquilchaos said:
    " I though the story sufficiently kept the game from being pointless. It gave some kind of motivation for running around and killing these people. Also I thought it was silly in a good way. Smarmy dude in a bad situation with decent motivation and awesome gameplay. Win.  *EDIT* I would also say that the way they conveyed the arc of normal guy in over his head becoming a terrorist killing badass was the real fun in the game. You really feel the transition with the character as they empower you over time. I thought so anyhow. "
    I agree with this assessment. The story is sufficient and serves as a decent compliment to the gameplay. It's nothing too epic, but it probably couldn't be because then it likely wouldn't jive with the Empire novels (even though I've heard they aren't that great anyway).
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

It had one of the worst stories I've witnessed in a long time. As if the 'average joe trying to save girlfriend' premise wasn't stale enough, they made it worse by giving it a cringe-worthy ending. It didn't even feel like an excuse to the action; it was just awful on all accounts.  

Oh, and the conspiracy subplot was even worse. It was so flat.

Clearly it's not a game about story, since the gameplay is tenfold better than the story. Still, it's pretty terrible.

Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Exlutonian

Even though I enjoyed the game, it surprises me how many issues there are with it and yet it still got rave reviews.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By spankingaddict
    @JacobForrest said:
    " It had one of the worst stories I've witnessed in a long time. As if the 'average joe trying to save girlfriend' premise wasn't stale enough, they made it worse by giving it a cringe-worthy ending. It didn't even feel like an excuse to the action; it was just awful on all accounts.    Oh, and the conspiracy subplot was even worse. It was so flat.  Clearly it's not a game about story, since the gameplay is tenfold better than the story. Still, it's pretty terrible. "
    Gears of War has a crappy story as well, it just felt dumb like all of the characters in the game....
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:

Yeah, I did not find it that engaging.

They could have added in some more personality instead of the really bad dialogue.  For example when you come up to one of those dudes wearing a mech suit 'You don't know how to use that armor' 'Your right'  Fight "
    Yeah, that made me cringe. There was a lot of cringe-worthy dialogue in that game as well as the overall story.

@Exlutonian said:
    " Even though I enjoyed the game, it surprises me how many issues there are with it and yet it still got rave reviews. "

I agree. I think it was a lot of fun and a very good game overall, but i am surprised by these very high reviews. For me, it is a solid 4/5. Nothing more, nothing less. Great action and pretty nice graphics meet a horrible story and bland art design. The world is pretty expansive and there are a lot of things to explore but I am not going to replay it a million times like many others.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't think the story was really the point of the game. More as a reason for the gameplay.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @tranquilchaos said:
    " I though the story sufficiently kept the game from being pointless. It gave some kind of motivation for running around and killing these people. Also I thought it was silly in a good way. Smarmy dude in a bad situation with decent motivation and awesome gameplay. Win.  *EDIT* I would also say that the way they conveyed the arc of normal guy in over his head becoming a terrorist killing badass was the real fun in the game. You really feel the transition with the character as they empower you over time. I thought so anyhow. "
    I agree with this. Stories don't need to be good to be enjoyable. It's not like they are going for best screenplay here. I like watching movies like Fast & Furious that have weak stories but are fun to watch. I think video games work the same way.
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By mattysen

Metriodvana + Story = Doesnt work. I dont know why you would expect a good story form a game like this

SketchyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SketchyBrown
    @mattysen said:
    " Metriodvana + Story = Doesnt work. I dont know why you would expect a good story form a game like this "

I'm inclined to agree here... I think that all the exploration would really get in the way of telling a more grand story. The player would be more amped to go and find the room with the next cutscene than they would be to wander aimlessly for hours picking up question marks and shining flashlights on every wall in the complex. While I didn't find the narrative experience to be exceptional, what was there simply "kept the gameplay from feeling pointless" as someone mentioned earlier. I think thats all a MetroidVan-exia story needs to be. SC and games like it are all about wandering and empowerment as a result.
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spankingaddict said:
    " @JacobForrest said:
    " It had one of the worst stories I've witnessed in a long time. As if the 'average joe trying to save girlfriend' premise wasn't stale enough, they made it worse by giving it a cringe-worthy ending. It didn't even feel like an excuse to the action; it was just awful on all accounts.    Oh, and the conspiracy subplot was even worse. It was so flat.  Clearly it's not a game about story, since the gameplay is tenfold better than the story. Still, it's pretty terrible. "
    Gears of War has a crappy story as well, it just felt dumb like all of the characters in the game.... "
    Which one; first or second? I thought both were decent. At least there was some believability and deeper antagonists.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By jkz

It took a back seat to the action, although I didn't think that was really an issue. The atmosphere more than made up for it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By breadfan
    @mattysen said:
    Metriodvana + Story = Doesnt work. I dont know why you would expect a good story form a game like this
    I wasn't expecting something amazing out of the story, but when the game boasts that it has Orson Scott Card's name attached to it you expect it to be somewhat decent
    Avatar image for kingdomhearts93
    KingdomHearts93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By KingdomHearts93

Apparently, Empire isn't that great but it is probably because Card only wrote down what he was allowed to.  Card and writers in general are at there best when they have creative control over what they write instead of having limitations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.