Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow Complex

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 19, 2009

Reluctant hero Jason Fleming investigates a hidden underground complex to rescue his girlfriend Claire in this Metroid-style action-adventure game.

What do you want in a Shadow Complex Sequel?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

How would you have Chair handle the probably Shadow Complex 2? I asked myself this question the other day and came to the basic conclusion that while it was a fantastic game, since they encouraged players to play it repeatedly to get up to level 50, most players got totally burnt out on what Shadow Complex had, so any sequel will have to make significant improvements to be as fun. 

Storywise, It'd have to justify being a lone man in an enemy filled environment again. Course now he's rolling with the FBI, so that'll be a little harder than it was before. I'd say that enemies seize some town of which Jason has a personal history with, but the army's intel gives them reason to not strike immediately, giving Jason reason to run off into the town to save loved ones alone, perhaps denied the technology he retrieved in the process. I'd like it if they improved the writing of this one as well and stop talking about Card since he obviously was no credit to the story of the first.

Weapons wise it simply needs more variety. I'd have them make several assault riffles, shotguns, handguns, flamethrowers, energy weapons, silenced weapons, whatever. They could make it so that certain guns are clearly better than other guns, that gun replacing the inferior gun, as it could be one assault rifle replaces another, a revolver replaces a hand gun, and a shotgun replaces a shotgun. As for the grendades, foam, rockets so on, they should have less ammo packs and more general upgrade packs. Maybe keep the amount of upgrades for each the same, but split them up between ammo, power, rapid fire/mortar, ect upgrades. Also more of these would also be fantastic. 

Controls would probably have to be left and right for your bumper weapons and up and down for primaries, losing support for the Left Grenade, Down Foam, Right Rockets, Up grapple scheme, but they'd lose that if they added another bumper weapon anyway.

For the enemies, variety would be the only improvement you'd have to make. In the first it was just kickable robots, dudes, dudes that had heavy armor, dudes who had cables and dudes who had mechs. A lot more variation could really improve the game. Maybe some with night vision or thermal goggles you have to take out if you want to do the stealth thing? Or jetpack using enemies that you can hit with foam to make them crash horribly? 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

Full three dimensional movement. Don't just limit it to x and y axis, let's be able to move on the z axis as well.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By matthew

A Samus skin. 
    How awesome would that be?  Come on . . .

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By CharleyTony

inverted castle for the second quest... 
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

more cowbell. 

Actually bigger environment more weapons basically a retail game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Multiplayer!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @Matthew said:
    " A Samus skin. How awesome would that be?  Come on . . . "
    @CharleyTony said:
    " inverted castle for the second quest...  "
    Are both too much to ask for?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ravensword

Nolan North
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot

Personally, I would more like to see a spiritual successor versus a sequel. 
    In other words: Drop Orson Scott Card and his Empire franchise. The guy's at Chair proved themselves as making really rad original environments with their previous game Undertow. 

I really can't wait for a sequel. Totally did everything in this game.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CharleyTony

inverted stuff is a no brainer , just flip the map, it doesn't require new coding...  

you might need infinite foam or the hookshot to make it work but that is it... 

one other thing I really liked is areas that have been available both under water and dried up... more transitions like this would be nice.  

How about a couple of puzzles that require you to flood or drain some area in order to get someting out of the way?     

As far as spiritual successor Vs real sequel: I would be afraid that  they remove some stuff that made that game cool if they started from scratch again. Plus they would hurt their sames if they can't build a new game on top of the serious Rep this game has now... I'm really not a Scott Orson Card fan, but come to think of it, he didn't write this game, he wrote parallel fiction ( I think).
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Full three dimensional movement. Don't just limit it to x and y axis, let's be able to move on the z axis as well. "
    ...You didn't get the point behind Shadow Complex's design, did you?
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By chstupid
    @natetodamax said:
    "Multiplayer! "

This
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Multiple, selectable weapons would be awesome.

Something else I would like to see would be brief missions outside the "complex" or map you're exploring that unfold like traditional side scrolling levels, in theory kind of like what was done with Assassin's Creed II's small missions outside the open world.  I think that could be really fun and let them try a bunch of new things.  The basic feel of the game is so great that it would work just as well in a more traditional side scrolling style level, and they could make some more action packed and controlled moments.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By cstrang
    @Raven_Sword said:

" Nolan North "

You mean "MORE Nolan North"?

I would like either the elimination of foreground/background enemies, or the improvement of the targeting system that you use to deal with such.  I would also like more segments like the turret segment.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By AgentJ
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    " Full three dimensional movement. Don't just limit it to x and y axis, let's be able to move on the z axis as well. "
    ...You didn't get the point behind Shadow Complex's design, did you? "
    It's people like him that are causing 2D to become impossible to market these days :P
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16  Edited By delta_ass
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    No, I got it.

I just didn't like it.
    Avatar image for thehideousshrew
    thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By thehideousshrew

FISHING MINI-GAME! Also, basically do the same thing again only bigger and more weapons.
    Perhaps go all out Metroid and have it begin the same way every game. Constant reboots.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    No, I got it.  I just didn't like it. "
    Hmm.

@AgentJ said:
    " It's people like him that are causing 2D to become impossible to market these days :P "

You got that right. :P
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravensword
    @cstrang:

I was actually jsut saying I would like him in it again, so yes, I suppose MORE Nolan would be the correct way of putting it.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By vidiot
    @CharleyTony: 
    True.

The plot was written by Peter David who did a phenomenal job building a plot and story, while avoiding the goofy context of the Empire setting. If he could do that again, I'm game. That being said, it's a shame that the fictional world this game resides in is so immediately, and appropriately divisive among people. 

@Hailinel said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    No, I got it.  I just didn't like it. "
    Hmm.

I lol'ed :P

To be fair: I assume he personally hates pizza. YET HE IS COMPELLED TO EAT IT! :P
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CharleyTony

It could have a coop campaign seperate from them main story... preferably online coop. 

what would be awesome is the since this is a 3-D games that plain on a 2-D plain, I would love it if they could make more camera tricks. As long as the gameplay stay in 2-D, the camera could rotate a couple of degrees on either side, it would give the graphics more depth. 

This is gonna be a ridiculous example but here goes: in GRID (and I think in Dirt 1 & 2) when you execute a sharp turn, the camera slides a little bit on the inside of that turn. This made the game a lot more cinematic to me, even for a driving game. I wish they took a little more creative liberties with the camera as long as they respect the 2-D gameplay their game has been built on and that the player can still see where he is going. Think about how a 3/4 (isometric) view does a lot more for a game than the outdate completely overhead view (no depth).
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne
    • No friction dampener. Fuck that thing.
    • Hire someone who knows how to write dialogue and characters.
    RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By RiddleBrother

3rd person shooter with TDM multiplayer.

I jest.

But yeah, better dialogue would be nice, and better character models. Up close, that girl you rescue looks rough.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunnBjorn

No sequel what-so-ever! 
    It was good and special for what it was.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.