Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow of the Colossus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Explore the Forbidden Land as Wander, a young warrior who must slay sixteen Colossi in order to restore the life of a sacrificed maiden.

365 Games To Play Before You Die - #100: Shadow of the Colossus

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

100 games! Yes, 100 whole games. This is the point where I realise that I might not have played 365 games that I would recommended but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Until that time I'll continue to go through some classics, such as today's choice.

Previous 5 Games

Full List

#100: Shadow of the Colossus

Platform(s): PS2
    Release: 2005
    Developer(s): Team Ico
    Best Quote: 'Agro!'
    GB Wiki Page

This is one of those games that people keep telling you to play but you don't understand what all the fuss is about until you experience it for yourself. Shadow of the Colossus is truly a unique experience that is unlike any other game I'd played before. From a world that's so empty yet says so much to a silent horse who is your one and only companion, SotC is an example minimalism at its best. It's no surprise that's it's almost always cited as evidence for games as art.

When you see the first Colossi you can't help but be in awe. 'How on earth can you take down such a creature?' You think to yourself. And that's the beauty of SotC, each one of the Colossi is a puzzle which you have to solve before they can be defeated. Climbing up, finding the weak spot and then finally thrusting your sword into it may sound simple but turns out to be complex and challenging. After you've finally defeated the beast and it's your time to bask in the glory of your achievement you can only help to feel a little bit sorry for them. You are always the aggressor, going into their territory and attacking them. All they're doing is trying to defend themselves.

Shadow of the Colossus is a game that had an effect on me emotionally and I can't say that about a lot of other games. I'm really sad that I don't have a PS3 because I know whenever the next Team Ico game come out that it will be amazing.

100 down 265 to go.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

100 games! Yes, 100 whole games. This is the point where I realise that I might not have played 365 games that I would recommended but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Until that time I'll continue to go through some classics, such as today's choice.

Previous 5 Games

Full List

#100: Shadow of the Colossus

Platform(s): PS2
    Release: 2005
    Developer(s): Team Ico
    Best Quote: 'Agro!'
    GB Wiki Page

This is one of those games that people keep telling you to play but you don't understand what all the fuss is about until you experience it for yourself. Shadow of the Colossus is truly a unique experience that is unlike any other game I'd played before. From a world that's so empty yet says so much to a silent horse who is your one and only companion, SotC is an example minimalism at its best. It's no surprise that's it's almost always cited as evidence for games as art.

When you see the first Colossi you can't help but be in awe. 'How on earth can you take down such a creature?' You think to yourself. And that's the beauty of SotC, each one of the Colossi is a puzzle which you have to solve before they can be defeated. Climbing up, finding the weak spot and then finally thrusting your sword into it may sound simple but turns out to be complex and challenging. After you've finally defeated the beast and it's your time to bask in the glory of your achievement you can only help to feel a little bit sorry for them. You are always the aggressor, going into their territory and attacking them. All they're doing is trying to defend themselves.

Shadow of the Colossus is a game that had an effect on me emotionally and I can't say that about a lot of other games. I'm really sad that I don't have a PS3 because I know whenever the next Team Ico game come out that it will be amazing.

100 down 265 to go.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I may not have loved this game like many others did but I definitely agree that it is a game that everyone should play. Nice ongoing list I can't believe it is 100 already!!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie
    @RHCPfan24: SHUT UP YOU STUPID NAZI MOD! (no)

SoTC was so awesome, maybe its time to load that back up and go kill me some more colossi 
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By End_Boss

My girlfriend is actually about to sink her teeth into SOTC. Well, soon as we get a PS2 memory card. I plan on watching every glorious moment as she plays through it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pie
    @RHCPfan24: DONT YOU EDIT MY POST SON, IF YOUR ANY KIND OF A RHCPfan THEN YOULL SAY IT TO MY VIRTUAL AVATAR.....THING..........blue cat
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Pie: You have an Avatar? Oooooo, sweet. Us mods have no authority over them, so you're lucky this time around.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pie
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " @Pie: You have an Avatar? Oooooo, sweet. Us mods have no authority over them, so you're lucky this time around. "
    Damn right, damn oppressive halo dropship person........

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.