Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow of the Colossus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Explore the Forbidden Land as Wander, a young warrior who must slay sixteen Colossi in order to restore the life of a sacrificed maiden.

Does the difficulty ramp up?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So I just purchased the game on psn and I am really enjoying so far but its been kind of like a cake-walk (so far). As I understand there are like 12-16 colossi and I have taken down the first 4 with no problem.  I was just curious as to if the game gets more challenging or if I just need to play on hard. Thanks for all the help

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Panpipe

I played it a couple of years ago. I don't remember it ramping really, but I also don't think there are 16 colossi, I only remember about 8-10, if that.

The last one is quite tricky and took me a few goes. I'd definitely ramp it up to hard if you're breezing through it.

EDIT: SHIT. There are 16...

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Panpipe: good ha. I was gonna say Im not even 2 hours in and I have killed 4
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

@Sackmanjones: No the game doesn't really ramp up in difficulty. There are about 2-3 colossi that are actually kind of tricky but its a really easy game for the most part.

Avatar image for burnin_squirrrl
    burnin_squirrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By burnin_squirrrl

I remember getting stuck on a couple tricky colossi but I wouldn't say it get unbelievably tough at any point..

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By M_Shini

Its pretty easy for the most part throughout, although some of the later collosi become a little frustrating having to re climb certain select parts although its not full of that so not overly frustrating except maybe the final one.

n11n12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By n11n12

They don't necessarily get harder, but rather the nature of the challenges differ each time, and get a little more obscure. Without spoiling, one fight might require steady aim with a bow, another later one plays out like an intense game of "The Floor is Lava," and another requires clever manipulation of the environment.

As for playing on Hard, it generally doesn't really make things that much harder. It just gives the bosses an extra weak spot. Hell, some fights don't change at all.

Since you're just about to face number five, let me just say one thing: You're about to face the most tedious fight in the game. Just be patient. It gets better from there on.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By OllyOxenFree

From what I can recall, the only real trouble of the colossi that I had was with the final one.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Slaker117

As others have said, it doesn't get much harder, but there are a fair few annoying ones that seem to shake you off more or involve a tedious process to get on. It can be frustrating if you get stuck on one and can't figure out what to do, but "solving" each colossus is the most interesting part of the game. Actually executing the solution stays simple.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @n11n12: I just beat it, only had to climb back on once so it wasn't bad at all
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By emem
    @KittyMeggerz: Oh god, I think it took me over an hour just to figure out how to get on his back. :)

Well, it definitely gets harder (the puzzles become a bit more complicated), but you also get more used to the controls over time and it's a quite smooth increase of difficutly, at least as far as I remember. I personally had more trouble figuring out how to get to some bosses than actually finding their weaknesses... I probably shouldn't call it "trouble" since I loved every second of it.

Just as a side note... I think my 3-5 most favourite boss battles of all time are in this game and the difficulty is definitely not the reason why I would choose any of them.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Jedted

I just downloaded this to see what it's all about and looking at the trophies it sounds like the "bird" colossi could be challenging. Especially if it turns upside down maybe?

Do you always have the same amount of stamina or do you get the ability to hold on for longer?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By development

@jedted: You can unlock more stamina, but it isn't explained at all. You kinda just have to figure it out.

If you want me to tell you:

Shoot coconuts (or whatever) out of some trees. Then eat them. Also, look out for geckos with shiny tails. Shoot 'em dead and eat their tails.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@development: @jedted: It's actually faster to just defeat colossi. Defeating one raises your health and stamina. It takes like 3 and a half play throughs to hit the max stats.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mosespippy: I just noticed that the stamina "bubble" gets bigger after you kill Colossi. Thanks though!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.