Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow of the Colossus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Explore the Forbidden Land as Wander, a young warrior who must slay sixteen Colossi in order to restore the life of a sacrificed maiden.

What do you make of the PS4 remake and will you play it?

• 120 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

It seems like the most creatively bankrupted game on the horizon. It feels icky and yucky and just the thought of it makes me shake my head in disbelief but there is a part of me that also wants to at least playthrough it just to see for myself. I'm not even that big of a SotC fan. It's my least favorite Team Ico/genDESIGN game. Is something wrong with me or are you weirdly conflicted with this title as well? And I guess a follow-up question: do you want to see more of these types of remakes with the visual make-overs and if so, which games?

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By obcdexter

I think it's a lazy money grab, and: yes I will play it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I will because I never played it but it seems like a dumb idea.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never played the original despite having a PS2 at the time but I've had a wallpaper from it in my rotation for about 10 years so maybe I should play it. Might depend on how they price it. If they went full sell out and gave Ico this treatment that's a game I'd buy in a second.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Im definitely going to buy it...again and play it...again. The main excuses I am using for myself are that 1. It is still run of the very few ps2 game that still runs bad and looks terrible on PCSX2 emulation (probably because that game had no business being ran on PlayStation 2 hardware) and 2. It looks like a bit more than an HD remaster as I guess its being ported to TLG engine? Has that been confirmed? Whatever, still gonna buy it because it is my favorite Team Ico game.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By archnite

Well SotC isn't just my favorite Team ICO game, its probably my favorite game period. I was pretty excited about all the work they put into the PS3 collection remaster and am jazzed about the full PS4 remake.

I am conflicted about how much I'm hoping they change. I've played through SotC roughly 60 times all told and would like either them to include cut Colossus that would fit on the map or improve the wonkiness of the controls (beyond the default remapping that has always been there). But if this is going to be the SotC of record going forward also would want them to change nothing but the graphic quality, to preserve the original intent of the piece.

But as far as it being a lazy, remakes still take work and SotC has been a cult hit, it doesn't rake in the monies

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best pieces of art ever made. Of course I'm going to replay this remake.

You people are freaking insane. Nothing is "lazy" about AAA games development. If you haven't noticed, playstation as a plethora of console exclusives new and old. Let them have a remake for a beloved game. Sheesh

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I own both the PS2 and PS3 version so I have no interest at all, but I don't have an ill will toward it. Seems like it's going to be pretty faithful to the original, and it is considered a classic so, eh whatever.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I dunno...I've beaten that game on PS2 and PS3. It looks great/is a great game and all, but I remember Griffin McElroy during an E3 night show saying all he could think about during the trailer was "Oh, I know how to beat that colossus." Maybe I'll give it a few years, wait until my memories are a little more hazy.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

I'll play it. I have faith that blue point will remain completely faithful to the source while also improving it. They are very good at what they do. I look at this like getting a criterion collection Blu Ray vs an original studio DVD release.

jd_delgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jd_delgado

I bought the PS2 version but never played it, so yes I will buy it to my wallet's chagrin. On the other hand, it seems as of the quality of the game seems to be falling by the wayside when talking about the game. It is considered a great game for its time. I think the biggest problem is that they're doing it again and that it reflects really badly on Sony at a time when people are asking for fresh ideas and feel that they are not getting any. A second remake of Shadow is not gonna help in that regard.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I own it on PS2 and also own it on PS3 thanks to PS Plus. However, I've never actually beaten the game. I think I've only beat a handful (or less) of Colossi and then got distracted for reasons, which led to me "benching" the game.

I'll probably get this to play [eventually] when it gets discounted; not in any particular rush as my backlog of just 2016/2017 games only on PS4 is already pretty large (playing through Persona 5 but still have NieR Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy XV, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4...)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

Shadow of the Colossus is a great game; my favorite Team Ico game. That said, I could only ever find the motivation to go through it once and several times about halfway. I have it on the PS2 and also bought the PS3 HD version but never finished it there (only Ico since I had never played it prior). When I saw it shown at E3, it was one of the least exciting, unneeded things I saw. It could turn out to be great, and yeah I suppose it can be considered a classic, but I don't really want it. I might get it if I become more excited from what I see of it in the future, but as it stands I don't care about it.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is absolutely nothing you will lose with a remake being made and those that are interested/wanted it will get it.

Stating your opinion about how you dislike it seems so pointless to me.

Plus, it's a remake; not an upresed remaster or quick port, an actual remake, so why not get a much more improved version of a game that might be hard to go back to due to the old hardware?

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By James_ex_machina

I might pick it up when the price drops and if I hear the controls are improved. I have the PS3 version but I got stuck on the flying Colossus. I get several stabs in and when I let go for my energy bar to refill I get tossed every time. I retried that part 10+ times in a row one day and finally put the controller down before throwing it through the tv. That was the end of my time with that game. There were a few battles I struggled with but enjoyed the challenge. Once I got to the flying Colossus I stopped enjoying the game. I would love to see the ending because I loved ICO.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've never played the original and I imagine some of the "wow" factor may have died down over the years because games just look better these days (mostly, anyway), so yeah, if I finally start playing the game it will probably be the PS4 version.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to be the "if you don't want it, then don't buy it!" guy, but seriously, that's what it comes down to. I will buy it. In fact I was just recently looking into buying a PS3 to get the remaster of it and the Metal Gears, just to have solid HD versions of those games...

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played the PS2 and PS3 version of this game countless times, I absolutely love it. It's arguably one of my favorite games of all time.

So with that being said, if this has brand new content in it - I mean new colossi - it will be fine. If there's no new colossi, and if there's no other new content other than models and textures being redone, and if it's priced at 60 dollars, I'm going to be pretty damn annoyed. I get the whole 'just don't buy it thing', and I will certainly do that, but if this is successful, I just hope it doesn't release the flood gates for other 'classic' PS2 and PS3 games being remade for the PS4 at full price again.

I might pick it up when the price drops and if I hear the controls are improved. I have the PS3 version but I got stuck on the flying Colossus. I get several stabs in and when I let go for my energy bar to refill I get tossed every time. I retried that part 10+ times in a row one day and finally put the controller down before throwing it through the tv. That was the end of my time with that game. There were a few battles I struggled with but enjoyed the challenge. Once I got to the flying Colossus I stopped enjoying the game. I would love to see the ending because I loved ICO.

Wow, I thought the bird colossus was one of the most fun ones to fight. It's actually what made me REALLY get into the game. It's interesting to see someone with the completely opposite opinion on it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played it since the ps2 so the new graphics and performance increase look good to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I played it on PS2 and really loved it despite not finishing it--I was like 13 at the time and hardly ever finished games. I've been meaning to replay it on PS3 but have never gotten around to it. So I'm excited to play it with a better controller, better graphics, and hopefully a better control scheme.

There are enough remakes these days I would be exhausted getting mad at the thought of them. So if I'm not going to get mad at re-releases of last gen games why would I get upset over a total remake of a beloved PS2 game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
    deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's something I know I wanted but honestly never thought would happen. Hell yeah I'm going to play this!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Seems unnecessary, but I'll surely play it. At the very least, it'll expose a whole lot of new people to this game.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they don't mess up the lighting/atmosphere/art design (it looked good in the trailer), then I'll be interested. So much of that game is taking in the sights and being in that world, so I don't see how anybody could be against making that stuff better looking, if they do indeed manage to make it look better.

I'd be more interested if they were just making a new game, obviously. It's not like the colossus design (gameplay-wise) was flawless in SotC anyway, another team taking it on couldn't screw it up that badly, yeah?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By glots

Might buy it. During the brief time that I had a PS2 in my possession, and I wasn't playing God of War, I also grabbed Shadow of The Colossus. But the performance...oh sweet jesus. Maybe I could've looked past it if I had been playing on the console for a long time and had some love for ICO, but it just made the game almost completely unplayable for me. That combined with the control scheme that I couldn't easily wrap my head around just killed the game for me completely. I did buy the HD collection on PS3, but for some reason I don't think I actually played it? Maybe because I bought it from a sale, just so I could play it some day in the distant future...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will absolutely buy and play this game. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games ever, it's an absolute classic. The new visuals look fantastic and I feel finally do the epic scope of the game justice. I would LOVE the same treatment for ICO because I like that even more.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the opening section on the PS2 but never really played the game much at all. I'm looking forward to a PS4 remake of course, will finally finish what I started nearly a decade ago

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I never played SoTC and was gonna get it on the PS3 but for whatever reason didn't, so this creatively-bankrupt money-grab is well fortuitous for me.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played it and loved Ico and The Last Guardian. So will I play it?

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes barely played the original, all I remember is it running like crap.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ezekiel

I tried replaying it two years ago and stopped after colossus four, I think. The last time I did manage to play through it, about eight years ago, I was slightly bored. I know the game too well, and there isn't enough there for me to play it more than the twenty-something times I've already played it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By liquiddragon

I made this thread wanting to hear from fans of the game and I'm surprised it's mostly people who haven't played it or played not that much of it commenting. Seems like Sony's got a mild hit on their hands given it's probably wayyy cheaper to produce this than make something else from the ground up. FYI, PSN is selling the HD remaster for $3 in their mid-year sell.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RetroMetal

@liquiddragon: I've purchased it twice before and still have not finished it... yeah, might as well buy it a third time and play it in HD, AMIRITE?

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched my wife play through the original Shadow of the Colossus years ago, and have wanted to try it myself. I'll probably wait for a sale, but if it hits $40, I'll pick this up.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't stand the original Shadow of the Colossus back when it came out, I stopped after colossus number three I think. Its cool that different kinds of games get made, but I've got no interest in it. I wouldn't buy a remake even if I had a PS4.

I think its good for older games to be made available again for people to play, especially if they didn't have a chance the first time around. But there's no way $60 is an appropriate price point for such an old game, no matter how much work gets put into it. $20-$30 seems more in line; though I struggle even with paying $20 for Bayonetta on PC.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Not too interested in it and find it disappointing that there is money going into this over something else.

Love the original and think it's Ueda's best game but don't need a HD version. I'm not sure how to feel about the HD graphics either because yes they look "better" but I think the artistry of the original seems a bit lost. The graphics in the original worked so well just as they are, so that it all felt intentional rather than limitation.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: The Ico & Shadow Collection is like a criterion blu-ray re-release, this is more like a shot-for-shot American remake.

@artisanbreads: I would put my money on this game feeling soulless.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@archnite said:

I am conflicted about how much I'm hoping they change. I've played through SotC roughly 60 times all told and would like either them to include cut Colossus that would fit on the map or improve the wonkiness of the controls (beyond the default remapping that has always been there). But if this is going to be the SotC of record going forward also would want them to change nothing but the graphic quality, to preserve the original intent of the piece.

Seeing as they already did an HD remaster that runs at a better framerate and is true to the original, I see no reason why with this version they shouldn't try to add more content and quality of life improvements.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didn't like SotC very much the first time around for reasons that had nothing to do with the graphics, so I can't imagine what this would do to convince me to play it again.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it on PS2 and PS3; I will likely buy this again because this version looks real damn good. Glad they will be updating the controls as well. Looking forward to seeing what they are doing with it and if any extras, such as the un-used colossi (Even if its a showcase) or developer commentary are included this time around.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I never played it, so yes, I will play the remake.

Also, I will never understand why people feel the need to shit on remakes or remasters. You don't have to play them, just like any other game that gets made that doesn't seem interesting to you.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

SotC is one of my all time favorite games but I've played through it a few times already and new graphics isn't enough to get me to come back again. I'd be much more interested if they restored some of the cut content and turned it into some sort of Director's Cut or Definitive Edition but right now it looks like a lazy cash grab. That being said I'll probably end up getting it when it inevitably goes on sale.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is a technical mess on PS2 and PS3, it was always a mess. So yeah, I'll play a well made remake.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a decade or so for me, so absolutely.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By afabs515

I never played it, so I'll definitely pick it up. I watched a friend play through it on PS3 and it seemed great, so I'd love to play it myself.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lazy money grab? Absolutely. Will I get it because I never got around to even playing the PS3 version? Absolutely.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably buy it when its dirt cheap.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for the first time in the PS3 HD Collection. I adored it. I'd definitely love to play this remake too. Call it a money grab all you want: I'm really happy about it. I wonder if they'll re-record the music: I'd love that.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@colourful_hippie said:

Lazy money grab? Absolutely. Will I get it because I never got around to even playing the PS3 version? Absolutely.

I don't really think it's lazy to remake a game from two console generations and 12 years ago. Is it because they "HD-fied" it and put it on PS3 in-between there? Because I think there's a big difference between that and a full on remake.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: it really isn't like that though, because it's not like it's new actors/new sets/new whatever. It's going to be the same exact game, just way better looking (more than a straight port can). It will only feel soulless if you project that mindset onto it.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Max_Cherry

Shut up and take my money. Also, 1337 baby!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.