Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow the Hedgehog

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 15, 2005

A darker, grittier, and edgier spin-off of the Sonic the Hedgehog series starring the mysterious amnesiac antihero Shadow the Hedgehog. It is one of the series's more controversial games due to it's edgier themes (including use of slight amount of profanity and gunplay).

Why does Shadow have a gun?

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joeyoe31

This is a legitimate question that has been bothering me for years. Why DID Shadow the Hedgehog receive a gun in Shadow the Hedgehog. At first I thought that "Well they're probably aiming for a darker and edger audience" but then I came to the realization that that's really fucking dumb so what's the REAL answer to this mystery.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

You had it right the first time. They wanted Shadow the Hedgehog to be a dark, edgy game.

Well, as dark and edgy as a game featuring Sonic the Hedgehog characters can be.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I'm pretty sure... Shadow the Hedgehog was just really fucking dumb.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NegativeCero

Because he has attitude?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Joeyoe31 said:

At first I thought that "Well they're probably aiming for a darker and edger audience" but then I came to the realization that that's really fucking dumb so what's the REAL answer to this mystery.

That Sega is really fucking dumb?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@TooWalrus said:

No, no.

Shadow the Hedgehog was really, really,really, really

REALLY FUCKING DUMB.

At the time, games were starting to lean toward the "darkier and edgier" thing and Sega or Sonic Team or whoever the hell made it thought it would be a good idea to try and capitalize on that, which is a laughable notion to an insane degree. So out came Shadow the Hedgehog, a game about an anti-hero, dark and mysterious... hedgehog. Who tries to fight off a weird alien invasion with a gun, heavy metal, and saying tame curse words over and over again.

EDIT: You know what I just realized? Some of the plot points in Sonic Adventure 2, a far better game in every respect, come across as darker than anything in Shadow. That girl's death, for instance, I remember that being more impactful than anything in Shadow.

Dynamitekyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Dynamitekyle

So dark

So edgy

So Shadow

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@believer258 said:

@TooWalrus said:

No, no.

Shadow the Hedgehog was really, really,really, really

REALLY FUCKING DUMB.

At the time, games were starting to lean toward the "darkier and edgier" thing and Sega or Sonic Team or whoever the hell made it thought it would be a good idea to try and capitalize on that, which is a laughable notion to an insane degree. So out came Shadow the Hedgehog, a game about an anti-hero, dark and mysterious... hedgehog. Who tries to fight off a weird alien invasion with a gun, heavy metal, and saying tame curse words over and over again.

Does he ever say, "FUCKIN RADICAL!"? Because, in my mind, he does that. A lot.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Because he's X-TREME!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Having played and beaten Shadow the Hedgehog with the true ending (I was like 12 and should've known better regardless but hey it was just a rental) I can confirm that the answer is: "Because the game is really fucking stupid". No. That's it. That's all there is to it.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By egg

People are blowing out of proportion how dumb Shadow is. 1) They use the same swear words in Jak games too. 2) Shadow doesn't even swear that much, only one in or two scenes and when you lose. 3) Many of the guns used in the game are things like rockets, lasers, and alien weaponry, things no different from Ratchet and, again, Jak. 4) Both Ratchet and Jak are tried to pass off as edgy and having "attitude" yet apparently it's not ok when Shadow does this. Clearly a double standard.

urban_ryoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By urban_ryoga

@egg: wasn't that only Jax 2 (I'm certain that the first game didn't suffer from this)? That game was around the same stupid era that Shadow the Hedgehog came out of.

Ratchet and Clank was pretty consistent in the ps2 generation. Not that it wasn't without its immaturity, but it was like that from the get go. It certainly wasn't stupid dark.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By egg

@urban_ryoga said:

@egg: wasn't that only Jax 2 (I'm certain that the first game didn't suffer from this)? That game was around the same stupid era that Shadow the Hedgehog came out of.

yeah I was mainly referring to Jak 2

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Honestly I think Shadow is cooler looking than Sonic.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FateOfNever

Because Shadow is STREET, dawg!

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Because he is "urban" and has "street cred".

No Caption Provided
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ravenlight

Capcom motherfuckers probably would have named him Batman the Hedgehog were it not for copyrights and such.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Joeyoe31

@egg said:

People are blowing out of proportion how dumb Shadow is. 1) They use the same swear words in Jak games too. 2) Shadow doesn't even swear that much, only one in or two scenes and when you lose. 3) Many of the guns used in the game are things like rockets, lasers, and alien weaponry, things no different from Ratchet and, again, Jak. 4) Both Ratchet and Jak are tried to pass off as edgy and having "attitude" yet apparently it's not ok when Shadow does this. Clearly a double standard.

But the Rachet and Clank series and Jak series, 2 specifically, we're good games consistently across the board.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Because he's a black hedgehog and Japanese developers are racist sometimes

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@egg said:

To be fair, the attitude that they inserted into the Jak & Daxter series in Jak II felt painfully forced, so it's not like comparing Shadow to Jak lets either off of the hook.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By buzz_clik

Blast processing...?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By egg

@Joeyoe31 said:

@egg said:

But the Rachet and Clank series and Jak series, 2 specifically, we're good games consistently across the board.

Whether the game is good is irrelevant. I mentioned things like, how often Shadow swears, and the fact that despite his swearing the game is E10. (so it depends on whether you consider it swearing) Because both those things relate to what is being discussed, whereas whether the game is good does not. That said, you're still wrong, Jak 2 is terrible.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joeyoe31

@egg said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

@egg said:

Whether the game is good is irrelevant. I mentioned things like, how often Shadow swears, and the fact that despite his swearing the game is E10. (so it depends on whether you consider it swearing) That said, you're still wrong, Jak 2 is terrible.

Well than technically your entire post is irrelevant because the question was "Why does Shadow have a gun?" Also opinions.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Undeadpool

Why does Batman have machineguns on the front of the Batmobile in Batman V Superman?

INSECURITY. People were afraid their black and red hedgehog created by The Government to be the Ultimate Lifeform wouldn't read as "cool" without a .45

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because that was the style at the time.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mao Zedong said that power comes from the barrel of a gun. Shadow is a fucking comrade, that's why.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.