Shantae Half Genie Hero Trailer.

talonar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By talonar

If anyone needs to wash the taste of that Mighty Number 9 trailer out of their mouth.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks, I missed this trailer during E3. That's a good description. I think I backed Might No. 9 and Shantae within a year of one another. At the time, Might No. 9 was the one I was confident in. Now, this game looks like the best one by far.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think the game lost a little charm by transitioning to 3D graphics. They had excellent sprites.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ivdamke

And the Kickstarter for this game was near 5x less than Mighty No 9. I hope some post mortems come out about what the fuck went wrong with MN9.

I've never been much of a platformer person ever since I played so many of them to death when I was younger but this looks like a well made product (except that music).

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity: I definitely agree that Shantae has a history of really great sprites. I am still so impressed by the ridiculous amount of character they managed to pack into the tiny, tiny game boy color sprites in the first game. #bumwiggle

Anyway, good to see this trailer. I feel like Wayforward have been pretty quiet on the backer update front on this, so it's good to see it looking really solid!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Looks good, though I can't help but feel that this art style is designed to evoke nostalgia for this character that I totally don't have.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skinky

Looks a playable treat. Love this series, got the Gb Color game.

Doubt that is in-game muzak.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Atwa

This looks so god damn good, I love the Shantae games, they are some of the best platformers there is.

Looks good, though I can't help but feel that this art style is designed to evoke nostalgia for this character that I totally don't have.

Hmm, I don't see this art style as trying to "evoke nostalgia" at all, it just looks amazing to me.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#10 riostarwind  Moderator

The trailer looks kinda weird when they speed up some of the footage to match the music but otherwise this is a solid trailer. I can't wait to play it later this year.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Played the last one because of the Humble Nintendo Bundle and was really glad I did. One of the best games i've played this year. Looking forward to the sequel.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really suprised it took so long for them to make a full console game and take advantage of that power. the art style look pretty good. will totally pick this up

lemonadepack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@skinky said:

Doubt that is in-game muzak.

It totally is though. Played once during a stage early on but that is it. Got my backer code and beat it all in one weekend. Its on the short side but quite charming and fun to play. The music is probably my favourite part. Has a jazzy feel to it.

@humanity said:

I think the game lost a little charm by transitioning to 3D graphics. They had excellent sprites.

From what I could tell it still uses a lot of sprites. but they also seem to use a similar trick for some of the characters that Arc System Works did with Guilty Gear Xrd to make them appear 2D. Its noticable on one character in particular, but the rest of the game has a great look.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.