Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 06, 2001

The sequel to the original Shenmue on the Sega Dreamcast places Ryo Hazuki, hell-bent on avenging his father's death, in China where he will confront new friends and foes alike in a brand new, huge world.

Shemue III Only A Dream...

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PhilESkyline

Oh how I wish the day when I see a trailer for the 3rd installment of this game. According to Kotaku, Sega says "There are no plans for Shenmue III right now." Why? I don't know. I've heard a couple of possible reasons,

1. The game cost quite a bit of money to make, but what game doesn't nowadays?

2. Not enough copies were sold to warrant another release. I'm sure with online play and co-op being a standard for games in nextgen consoles this wouldn't be much of a problem.

In the words of The Field of Dreams - "If you make it, they will come..."

Your thoughts?

Edit: Sorry about the typo's it should have been "Shenmue"

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Randolph

They should do an episodic release on XBL and PSN, that would be much less risky. (it was originally designed to be episodic anyway)  they could even simply reuse the Shenmue 2 engine.  Just so long as it's done.  Also, this game REALLY needs to be an Xbox Original.

Archaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Archaic

It's understandable. The Shenmue games were very expensive to make and didn't sell all too well. And whoever programmed the games were wack too because even with a large budget those games still seemed to be broken.

duckofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By duckofdoom

I would love to see a new Shenmue on the current generation of consoles. They can now make a huge sprawling city to explore. I can just imagine knocking in some dudes heads in a realistically modeled Hong Kong. Given Sega's recent actions though, I won't be holding my breath.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkLegend

I want to see it too but knowing sega, shenmue the hedgehog!

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PhilESkyline

I wonder if Sega would be willing to sell the IP to another developer. I'm sure there's a team who shares the same desires we share.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkLegend
    PhilESkyline said:
    "I wonder if Sega would be willing to sell the IP to another developer. I'm sure there's a team who shares the same desires we share.
    "
    We all wish the same.
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#8  Edited By Valkyr

Shenmue 1 on the DC it's between my top ten list of favorites games of all time, the IP wasn't successful because its iteration release was a mess between DC and the original Xbox, they should remake the first one and start all over again, there is little people that can remember the story right now. it would be a failure to release a third part this way

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By Stefan

In my opinion they should port shenmue 1 for XBL and add shenmue 2 to the xbox originals, that wouldn't been too expansive and a greater audience would get to know shenmue. I mean who isn't interested in playing a 60 million dollar game, it would be worth a try. They could also release the first two installments on PSN depending on the legal stuff between sega and microsoft. Shenmue was unsuccessful because no one ever got to play it...

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Lemegeton

its poor sales were not a fault of the game itself but because it released on the Dreamcast which nobody bought, except me. they should do something to finish the story, even if they dont want to make another game, do an anime/manga, a book, a cgi movie. something to finish the story. Yu Suzuki had something like 16 chapters written at the time of the originals release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.