Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue III

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 19, 2019

Shenmue III is the third game in the Shenmue franchise.

Most Shenmue-like Games (?)

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Thiago123

All of the hype for the return of this franchise has me wanting to play some Shenmue. I'm only a casual Shenmue fan, but I did enjoy playing the original on Dreamcast quite a bit. Unfortunately, my old consoles are currently in storage and I will not have access to anything outside of my X360 and XBone for a few months (contemplating picking up a PS4 soon). So, does anyone have some alternatives? What games give you the most Shenmue-like experience or feel?

I'm thinking cinematic story, open world, melee combat (QTE or not) and a certain Japanese/Asian je ne sais quoi. Off the top of my head, the games that come to mind are:

• Yakuza series - Never played these
    • Sleeping Dogs - Played the main game, absolutely loved it

I've also heard from multiple people who are much more into Shenmue than me, that one of the most Shenmue-ass games out there is actually Deadly Premonition. I never played it, but it's obviously not set in Asia. Anyway....thoughts?

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kcin

Yakuza bro. Shenmue was all about the atmosphere of Japan, and exploring the nuances that create it, coupled with a soap-opera story and ridiculous combat. Yakuza does all that. The only real difference to me is that Shenmue felt very "nice". Just about everyone was concerned about you and very apologetic. Yakuza is a little more brash, but really not that much. You can play like 18-hole golf and crane games and help old ladies cross the street for fuck's sake. I'd say Sleeping Dogs is only like Shenmue insomuch as it's Asian atmosphere is very strong, but otherwise that is a much more violently-played game.

This is coming from my experience with Yakuza 3 only, and having played Shenmue 1 and 2.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By 71Ranchero

None of those games are like Shenmue. Its more like a Telltale's Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us.

Shenmue has very very little combat of any kind and its limited to when they want you to do some combat. Its a walking around and talking to people simulator with the occasional QTE or street fight.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what Shenmue, Yakuza and Deadly Premonition have in common? Weird unrelated attention to detail. Shenmue was filled with these things, the most famous being those vending machines. In Yakuza there's going to a bar and ordering a whisky and finding detailed information on it. And in Deadly Premonition there's conversations that basically acts as that type of thing.

Either way, the closest you'll get is still probably Yakuza.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, because you spend periods of that game hanging out with your cat and working various service industry jobs. You can also play a top down shooter game within the game world.

As I understand Shenmue, having never played them, that is essentially what those games are.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can see where they're going with the Deadly Premonition comparison. You can cruise around town and just explore. Talk to weird locals and do little unimportant side quests. But outside of that, the similarities pretty much end.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thiago123: Just adding on my previous comment because I didnt even come close to answering your question, Sleeping Dogs is miles away from being in the same vein as Shenmue so that one is out(just my opinion). DP also just barely shares any similarities to what your looking for.

Yakuza would be the closest to fitting your criteria but to me its still way more of an action game then an adventure game. I mean Shenmue is a linear story in an "open world"(its not all that open) with a million little distractions, I guess that fits with the Yakuza series but I didnt get any of the same feel out of the 2 games I have played.

I can see where they're going with the Deadly Premonition comparison. You can cruise around town and just explore. Talk to weird locals and do little unimportant side quests. But outside of that, the similarities pretty much end.

Agreed. I never understood this comparison. If someone had played and liked DP and then asked you to recommend another game like it, you would never say Shenmue.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Says they've already played Shenmue & Sleeping Dogs and finds them similar in some ways, everybody else says fuck you you're wrong.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shenmue 2 hasn't aged that badly IMO.

You can play the Xbox version on the 360, if that helps.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

LA Noire. Just replace the half-assed fighting with half-assed cover-based shooting.

Yakuza is a shoe-in. In fact, I think it shared some of the development team.

Persona 3/4, in so far as you feel like a native Japanese teenager exploring the country's sights and culture.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lonelyspacepanda:Definitely agree on Persona, don't know why I forgot about it on my list. Maybe I was only thinking about home consoles and I played the Persona games on Vita.

@johnnymcginley:Good thought. My copy of Shenmue 2 is in storage too, but I might be able to get one somewhere. I think it was mentioned in a podcast though that the resale market for the first two went up considerably because of the 3 hype.

@tournamentofhate:This had me LOLing.

@71ranchero: Thanks for clarifying, cause I had a hard time looking past the Telltale comparison. Very good point on the reverse suggestion of Shenmue for DP fans.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: I'm drawing a blank as to how Telltale's games are anything like Shenmue. Shenmue is a game about exploration, whereas those are modern choose your own adventure games.

Also, whereas Shenmue doesn't have a lot of combat it's still an important part of the game. A kung-fu epic without the kung-fu is absolutely nothing.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: Well yes the choose your own adventure part does not fit, but its the environment in service of narrative that I am talking about. Maybe those games are not as good of an example as I had thought. I think of Shenmue as an open-ish world point and click adventure game. I would never expect someone looking for more games like a Sleeping Dogs or GTA to jump into Shenmue and have a good time, but I feel like you could totally go from a Telltale game to Shenmue. Im not trying to be combative, I just have had 15 years of thinking about Shenmue to form some possibly atypical opinions about it. For me, even at the time I was very aware that Shenmue was a crap game with a great story to tell. You really dont do much besides walk from point to point talking to people and then sometimes race a duck.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#15  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Yakuza is Shenmue if it was more of a video game and had competent writing. It is far less detailed and not really a life sim, but unlike Shenmue it's actually fun to play.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza had the most similar gameplay, but i could never get through any of them.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: Not trying to be abrasive either. I agree with you on Sleeping Dogs and GTA not being good games to compare Shenmue to. To me Shenmue has never been about being a point and click adventure, it's more like a zen garden with ninja attacks. To me the magic of the game comes from all the details you can find in the world (especially in your house) as you take a leisurely stroll. Then, when you're feeling completely relaxed and serene you're suddenly taken off guard by a QTE.

The big problem Shenmue always had was that even when it came out the exploration controls were clunky as all hell. Ryo walked like a robot and trying to target the thing you want in first person was a chore. This seriously needs to be fixed in the next game.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yakuza 5 is going to be the best yakuza game. I recommend picking it up when it comes out here

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: But how much time do you spend doing any ninja attacks? Thats what I am saying. We will have to agree to disagree here. At the end of the day we all get what we want out of it.

With dual analog sticks as standard this time around, they almost couldn't improve the controls. One would hope anyways.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omikron, right down to the horrible controls and half-implemented combat system.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Is the kickstarter budget all they're working with? If it is then I'm worried cause it's a tiny tiny budget for a game like Shenmue.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Heavy Rain in some ways I suppose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.