Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 1999

An action-adventure game set in 1980s Japan that follows one young man's journey to avenge his father's murder. It was praised for its ambitious scope and pioneered several gameplay features such as realistic open-world environments and Quick Time Events.

Sega is "investigating" finally making Shenmue I & II HD

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The announcement is made at 1:54 in the video.

Fans have been requesting this for years, and now it looks as if it might actually happen in the near future.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By fatalbanana

Wasn't that announced last E3 with a kickstarter?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fatalbanana: Along with the Shenmue 3 announcement? I dont remember any such thing but maybe you are right.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it was announced. Or a kickstarter perk. I'm curious to see whether Shenmue would be enjoyable beyond a historical context.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@shindig: outside of nostalgia or historical context I don't think either game holds up. Some may get into the story though.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rethla: Yeah, I'm probably confusing it with that.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@fatalbanana said:

They said they dont have the rights to do anything with the first 2 games. I think what they said was they would make a digest video of the story from the first 2 games.

@jay_ray said:

@shindig: outside of nostalgia or historical context I don't think either game holds up. Some may get into the story though.

People keep saying this and yet I still keep playing the first 2 games at least once a year.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@fatalbanana said:

They said they dont have the rights to do anything with the first 2 games. I think what they said was they would make a digest video of the story from the first 2 games.

@jay_ray said:

People keep saying this and yet I still keep playing the first 2 games at least once a year.

Certain things like the faces of characters and the voice acting are very dated but the game had a world that felt much more lived in (kind of like majora's mask) than most games do now.

Hate to be that guy but if they do remake the first two games I hope they have a japanese vo option.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's all heartening to hear, then. I've always seen Yakuza as a modern successor, though so I've got that mental yardstick to compare it to. I often wonder if playing a game in the moment conditions you to deal with them easier over the years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.